Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2019, 06:28 PM

4,222 posts, read 3,687,603 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SK115 View Post
https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...were-born.html

6% of Californians were born in the midwest in 2012. Of course, that number was down from what it was in the mid twentieth century. A higher percentage of Californians were born in California or outside the US today. But the midwestern transplants definitely left an impact on California over the years.

I agree. I was going to suggest those same three cities to the OP for richer Latino culture.
Cool data set, 9% from California and 10% from other Western states making 19% from the west. Versus 12% from the Midwest and 3-4% from Illinois. CA transplants makes up the single biggest state, logically. The Northeast appears to be around 10% or so and we get 15% international transplants. Other than the South, we’re actually pretty well balanced with transplants from across the country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2019, 09:28 PM

3,458 posts, read 1,440,241 times
Phoenix is unique in that 90% of Phx Hispanics are of Mexican descent like San Antonio which is around 91% Mexican. So we are very similar. That compares to around 60% for the nation.

The difference really lies in the weather. We are dryer and have less natural disasters. Jobs should be similar. You would really be moving for the weather and personal reasons. Other than that not much would be different. I think you'd like it here.

Old 01-07-2019, 12:01 AM

4,468 posts, read 10,563,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by River City Rocky View Post
Is it a good idea to move from San Antonio to Phoenix? I'm looking for a dryer city with a richer Latino culture and heritage. Phoenix seems interesting to me. I'm either going to become a barber or go into IT; how're these professions/industries in Phoenix?

I like to stay close to Latino/Mexican culture, by what I see Phoenix offers more of this than San Antonio, is that accurate? Any other advice?
Look into Tucson or El Paso/Las Cruces area. You'll get the drier weather you want while retaining the Latino culture and heritage. Cost of living will be lower in El Paso than Tucson, Las Cruces (NM) COL is lower than Tucson and a bit higher than El Paso.

Old 01-07-2019, 09:35 AM

1,217 posts, read 1,896,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bunding761031 View Post
I would better recommend going to El Paso or Tucson. Phoenix is too big, too crowded, too much traffic, pollution and crime. Jobs in Arizona are not really that good and the pay in most fields is mediocre.
But if strong Mexican culture is what you want the best advice is to stay in San Antonio. That's what it's known for. You can't go wrong with S.A.!
You say Phoenix has too much crime but recommend El Paso and Tucson. This is a hilarious statement.

Old 01-07-2019, 08:25 PM

4,222 posts, read 3,687,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokinouta View Post
Phoenix is unique in that 90% of Phx Hispanics are of Mexican descent like San Antonio which is around 91% Mexican. So we are very similar. That compares to around 60% for the nation.

The difference really lies in the weather. We are dryer and have less natural disasters. Jobs should be similar. You would really be moving for the weather and personal reasons. Other than that not much would be different. I think you'd like it here.
I see it different, SA comes off to me as far more Hispanic/Latino oriented than Phoenix and that shows in the demographics as well. SA sits at 63% Hispanic or Latino whereas Phoenix is at 41%. San Antonio makes up the majority of the metro area at 1.5M of the 2.5M people there, whereas Phoenix is 1.6M of 5M people here. I'd guess at the metro level Phoenix has even less of a Hispanic/Latino % than the city limit numbers below.

Phoenix Demographics as of the 2010 Census:
  • White: 65.9% (45.6% non-Hispanic)
  • Black or African American: 6.5% (6% non-Hispanic)
  • Native American: 2.2%
  • Asian: 3.2%
  • Native Hawaiian and Pacific Islander: 0.2%
  • Other race: 0.1%
  • Two or more races: 3.6%
  • Hispanic or Latino of any race: 40.8%

San Antonio Demographics as of the 2010 Census:
  • White: 72.6% (non-Hispanic: 26.6%)
  • Black: 6.9%
  • Native American: 0.9%
  • Asian: 2.4%
  • Native Hawaiian and Pacific Islander: 0.1%
  • Two or more races: 3.4%
  • Other races: 13.7%
  • Hispanic or Latino of any race: 63.2%

Old 01-08-2019, 10:11 AM

872 posts, read 992,123 times
There are some places in the valley where you won't see any minorities and there are places where you won't see any white people.

Not really sure what constitutes as Latino Culture?? Restaurants? Bars? etc?? Or do you just mean living amongst a high percentage of Latinos? There are Latinos from poor to rich in the valley. It's a big metro area diverse in race and economic statuses.

I'd rather live in a nice area with decent people regardless of race/culture. Culture is everywhere you just find it, it doesn't just come to your door
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
View detailed profiles of: