Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-06-2008, 07:54 AM

19 posts, read 66,459 times

Advertisements

I currently rent in Chandler near McQueen and Frye. Our neighborhood is clean, but you rarely see kids that play outside or neighbors that even look at you when you say hello. I know one of the problems where we are is because of some recent shootings and there was a car chase suspect that ended up hopping the walls into backyards a while back.

I have two small sons and before we buy a house someplace, I want to find a normal neighborhood where kids ride bikes and do normal kid stuff. At the same time, I'm looking for something under 225k. Maybe this is not possible? I don't know.

My job is in the east valley, so moving west or north is not an option.

Last edited by adam85225; 05-06-2008 at 07:55 AM.. Reason: grammar
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2008, 09:43 AM

9,319 posts, read 18,746,321 times
Have you considered looking in Maricopa? There are plenty of decent neighborhoods where children can play and the homes are really priced low right now, well under $200K.

Old 05-06-2008, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotleyCrew View Post
Have you considered looking in Maricopa? There are plenty of decent neighborhoods where children can play and the homes are really priced low right now, well under $200K.
Yeah, we looked down there last year. The drive is a bit rough. I know prices are even down close to $125 on a lot of the bank owned right now.

Its very appealing, but unless they open the 347 up more, that would be a tough call.

Seems like the reservation could make a killing on a toll road that ran parallel.

Old 05-06-2008, 10:19 AM

39 posts, read 153,945 times
I have friends in the neighborhood of Cortina. It's technically in Queen Creek but it's literally on the Gilbert border. There are spec homes in there going pretty affordably, it's by Fulton. I've sold two homes in there now and both clients say when they can afford to move up, they'll stay in the same neighborhood because it is so kid friendly. Elementary school within walking distance, community parks and pool, apparently very friendly neighbors. I've been able to negotiate some very nice deals in there, even more than the "incentives" so just know that going in. Good luck!

Old 05-06-2008, 10:47 AM

Thanks ethurston, I will check that out.

Anyone else know what Cooper Commons is like? I've driven through there a couple times and it looks good, but wondered if anyone is a resident? I like the fact that the school is in the neighborhood.

Same with the big neighborhood at the corner of Higley and Pecos with the school in it? I forget the name.

Old 05-06-2008, 02:32 PM

68 posts, read 334,245 times
We live in Power Ranch and I would say it's an extremely kid-friendly neighborhood. You can hardly drive ten feet in the mornings or afternoons without nearly running over a kid! I would say it's almost TOO overrun by kids (and I have several myself!) but if you are looking for the neighborhood that has block after block of homes with kids, this is it! I think there is maybe one house that I know of in a three block radius that does not house children in my little area.

The school here is "okay"...we are actually looking to move this summer mostly to get out of the Higley district and because we find this neighborhood pretty unfriendly (despite it's being overrun by children). However, there are numerous neighborhoods within Power Ranch that seem much nicer than ours (which is almost entirely rentals and is getting kind of an unsavory element as a result) and we would stay in P.R. if it weren't for the school and the fact that being so far on the outskirts of Gilbert proper adds another 15-20 minutes to my husband's commute every day.

Anyway, this is definitely the neighborhood you are describing in terms of safety and kid-friendliness, however, I have not found it to be much different in the way of neighborliness...make no mistake- the kids are here, but people still don't say hello or look at you when you walk by- which is odd (and a big part of why we're leaving!). Like I said, though, other neighborhoods are not as bad as ours. Our neighborhood park is completely "ruled" by unsupervised kids and teenagers- not a parent in sight. Other neighborhoods seem to have more parental involvement and more of a sense of community- and other neighborhoods are not as rental-heavy as is ours.

Good luck with your search! I'll be watching this thread, too, to see if there are any areas as kid-friendly with fewer creepy neighbors who don't acknowledge your presence!

Edited to add: we are near Higley and Pecos- as is San Tan Ranch, STR doesn't seem *as* kid-full as PR is, but it is definitely kid-friendly, too.

Last edited by KK85297; 05-06-2008 at 02:33 PM.. Reason: Add info

Old 05-07-2008, 07:51 AM

6,069 posts, read 14,778,604 times
Adam, as one poster stated, Power Ranch is a good community with lots of kids. Here is the web site. The Power of Community It's at the southeast section of Gilbert.

Val Vista Lakes is an excellent community for kids and it's at Val Vista and Baseline, just a couple minutes from the highway 60. Here is that website.
Val Vista Lakes - Your Community
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area