Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2019, 06:19 PM

6,343 posts, read 14,683,204 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KurtAZ View Post
Okay...so Antonio Arce (Hispanic kid) was shot during the commission of a felony (Armed Burglary) by Officer Jaen (Hispanic Police Officer). The only people bringing race into this is the racists themselves...which would be you. Obeying the law is common sense. Don't break the law...the police don't get called. It is pretty much cause and effect. BTW...thank you for clarifying that you are a "gay man"...would you happen to participate in crossfit and perhaps be vegan as well? I am pretty sure your sexual orientation has absolutely NOTHING to do with this incident.

Burglary occurs in an area like a home or a fenced yard, not a driveway or alley, and the "gun" in this case was air soft & may have been taken from the vehicle - so "armed felony" is more likely petty larceny = misdemeanor.

Bottom line here - if the person doing the shooting was a private citizen with the exact same video evidence, they'd be in jail with a million dollar+ bail, and the same "law and order" clowns posting in defense of officer itchy-finger would be fine with that.

The cop costume doesn't change the relevant law, not sure why you're allowing it to change your perception here.

Old 01-20-2019, 08:57 PM

4,071 posts, read 5,144,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippyman View Post
Burglary occurs in an area like a home or a fenced yard, not a driveway or alley, and the "gun" in this case was air soft & may have been taken from the vehicle - so "armed felony" is more likely petty larceny = misdemeanor.

Bottom line here - if the person doing the shooting was a private citizen with the exact same video evidence, they'd be in jail with a million dollar+ bail, and the same "law and order" clowns posting in defense of officer itchy-finger would be fine with that.

The cop costume doesn't change the relevant law, not sure why you're allowing it to change your perception here.
Hindsight is 20/20 isn't it? Did the Officer know it was an Airsoft gun? No, the criminal didn't follow the Officers' order to stop. All he saw was an armed criminal running down the alley. However you want to define the theft...up until the point that the handgun was discovered to be a toy rather than the real thing, this was an armed person stealing things from a truck as far as the Officer was concerned.

It is obvious you don't like the people we, as a society, have employed to keep the peace, enforce our laws and protect our citizens. That is fine...we are all entitled to our opinions. Your attitude is the same mentality of the criminal that thinks it is fine to shoot at our employees. Like they are playing a juvenile game of Cops and Robbers or Grand Theft Auto. This really isn't a game, there are bad people out there doing bad things and your disdain for those that chose this line of work is suspect. Normally I just assume that you have done something in the past that forced a run in with the police and you see them now as an adversary rather than the public servants that they are. Perceptions and opinions...part of the glorious humanity that makes us all different.

Long and short of this...not that you would agree...if the kid hadn't decided to break into the truck and steal things out of it, the police wouldn't have been called. If the kid would have stopped when ordered to and let the Officer know that he had an airsoft gun, the kid could have dropped the airsoft gun, the Officer could have made the arrest and the kid would have been back home that evening with a misdemeanor charge. If the Officer hadn't fired on what he perceived to be an armed criminal and that criminal went on to hurt other people...who's fault is that? Should the Officer have shot this kid? I don't know...I know I probably wouldn't have but then again...I am not a Police Officer...that is for the investigations to decide.

Should those investigations be an outside agency...probably...question is which organization should be investigating a police shooting? Wouldn't that organization be, by definition, a branch of Law Enforcement? Would you then have a bone to pick that a Law Enforcement Agency is investigating a Law Enforcement Agency? Or would you prefer civilian oversight...people that have never been on the job and have no idea what the rules and regulations are? That would be like appointing a congressional committee and we all know how productive those are.

You have complained a lot...what are your solutions?

Old 01-21-2019, 02:30 AM

3,690 posts, read 2,411,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by keninaz View Post
Earlier this week, a 14 year old boy was shot and killed by a Tempe police officer. The boy was a burglary suspect that the officer was chasing.
When the boy stopped he pulled an airsoft gun (they look real in most cases) and the officer shot him in fear of his own life.
Now protesters with signs that say "stop cop killers" and other crap are on the streets.
I will assume that in this case it would have been OK for the cop to have risk his life and take a chance that the gun was not real?
LEO types have a right to live and go home at night too.
Perhaps the parents of the boy should have taught him better.
The protests are embarrassing.
These protestors are ignorant fools.

Old 01-21-2019, 05:34 AM

811 posts, read 622,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
Lest some think otherwise, studies consistently show authoritarian parenting to be the most likely to lead to aggressive behavior in kids. Being “tough” is not the solution. If a child, or anyone at any age, is starting to become violent, they need therapy, which is seriously lacking in the US (at least quality mental health services are).
Please list citations for your outrageous claims.

Old 01-21-2019, 07:01 AM

9,741 posts, read 11,159,142 times
Quote:
Lest some think otherwise, studies consistently show authoritarian parenting to be the most likely to lead to aggressive behavior in kids.
Authoritarian parenting has a terrible outcome but authoritative produces great kids.

We raised our kids using authoritative parenting approach.

"The authoritative parenting style is an approach to child-rearing that combines warmth, sensitivity, and the setting of limits. Parents use positive reinforcement and reasoning to guide children. They avoid resorting to threats or punishments.....

Research suggests that having at least one authoritative parent can make a big difference.
read https://www.parentingscience.com/aut...ing-style.html

Show me a messed up kid, and I will show you permissive parent (emotionally warm, but reluctant to enforce rules or standards of conduct) or an uninvolved parents (like permissive parents, but they lack warmth). The other possibility for a messed up kid is a child with a mental illness. And you are right, as a country, we do a poor job helping people with mental illness.

Most of the problem rug rats come from permissive parents, authoritarian parenting style of uninvolved parents. In other words, it is a tough, disciplined job to execute properly using a authoritative parenting style. You have to be consistently set boundaries and be nurturing day in and day out. It becomes easier to parent as the years go on as children don't cross the boundaries very often. Combine that approach with achievable (high) expectations and the sky is the limit. It's not rocket science. But unfortunately, a lot of parents don't really want to parent.

Old 01-21-2019, 07:31 AM

2,925 posts, read 3,091,864 times
Having now watched the video all I can say is wow! What a shot! I certainly wouldn't want to be running away from a cop, especially one who can shoot that well.

Old 01-21-2019, 07:43 AM

9,196 posts, read 16,641,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teddyearp View Post
Having now watched the video all I can say is wow! What a shot! I certainly wouldn't want to be running away from a cop, especially one who can shoot that well.
If that's all you can say after watching a kid get gunned down, there's something seriously wrong.

Old 01-21-2019, 08:32 AM

9,601 posts, read 31,695,251 times
Quote:
Lest some think otherwise, studies consistently show authoritarian parenting to be the most likely to lead to aggressive behavior in kids. Being “tough” is not the solution. If a child, or anyone at any age, is starting to become violent, they need therapy, which is seriously lacking in the US (at least quality mental health services are).

While every society must confine certain dangerous individuals, the best hope of actually rehabilitating those with mental disturbances is not just to lock them in a room with other bullies and mobsters and hope the problem will solve itself.

Also, how do you blame parents for people with violent behavior due to paranoid schizophrenia which often has an onset in a person’s twenties, after they are legally an adult and often not living with their parents?
If you perceive I was "blaming the parents" then you need to re-read my post properly as well as the original post.

I was responding to the Keninaz's comment "Perhaps the parents of the boy should have taught him better."

Old 01-21-2019, 08:40 AM

2,925 posts, read 3,091,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
If that's all you can say after watching a kid get gunned down, there's something seriously wrong.
I'm just saying, that kid's cat like reflexes did not seem to help him.

I've been a minor criminal and also had guns shoved in my face in my own home. I grew up. I don't have much truck for those who chose to break the law and disobey the police. Good or bad cop, it is just a very bad idea.

Old 01-21-2019, 12:45 PM

872 posts, read 999,367 times
Play stupid games, win stupid prizes
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area