Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2019, 12:20 PM

1,336 posts, read 926,523 times

Advertisements

Can I get your thoughts on one vs the other ?

I am happy to spend $25-60 a month depending on the bandwidth... I don't care much for customer service as I can do everything IT related inside the home, but would like a reliable provision of bandwidth and service to the house, which will be in Scottsdale.

Any rec's ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2019, 12:54 PM

7,343 posts, read 4,363,612 times
I hate them but Cox all the way. Not even a question

Old 02-07-2019, 01:21 PM

Any insight as to why, as Cox is significantly more expensive ? And there's probably a reason, too. Would like to get some hints as to why... Thanks.

Old 02-07-2019, 01:58 PM

15,250 posts, read 12,947,351 times
I think this tells you everything you need to know:

https://www.yelp.com/biz/centurylink-phoenix-4

Cox lied to me and told me they had to send out a $75 installer for our service "because you're on fiber." We're not.

Still, when the choice is between bad and worse, you go with bad.

Old 02-07-2019, 02:06 PM

39,073 posts, read 51,199,205 times
I'm happy with Century Link. I switched from Cox several years ago and never looked back. I get better performance numbers than I pay for if that makes sense and problems/outages are rare to non-existent. Fixed price for "life" is much less than Cox after the one year promo runs out. Available speed and reliability of CL depends on where you live. They have 100 Mbps in my neighborhood, but I have the 40 (I test at 50 actually).

Old 02-07-2019, 02:18 PM

Thanks everyone. OK, I'll just flip a coin I guess !

It looks like all the jokes about 'the cable company' still apply.

Over here in Cali, one good thing is Comcast cable service is pretty decent both in customer service and throughput reliability.

Old 02-07-2019, 04:20 PM

6,343 posts, read 14,676,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veritased View Post
Thanks everyone. OK, I'll just flip a coin I guess !

It looks like all the jokes about 'the cable company' still apply.

Over here in Cali, one good thing is Comcast cable service is pretty decent both in customer service and throughput reliability.
They both have areas that or oversold & poorly maintained- you really have to try both in your neighborhood to know which is better for you. Cox was super fast and reliable in my neighborhood for a long time, then they weren't.. centurylink was way cheaper as long as you called & got the price lowered every year. They both have awful customer service & lying/worthless installers.

Old 02-07-2019, 07:16 PM

LOL, ok, thanks, appreciate all the inside info.

Old 02-08-2019, 07:25 AM

39,073 posts, read 51,199,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippyman View Post
They both have areas that or oversold & poorly maintained- you really have to try both in your neighborhood to know which is better for you. Cox was super fast and reliable in my neighborhood for a long time, then they weren't.. centurylink was way cheaper as long as you called & got the price lowered every year. They both have awful customer service & lying/worthless installers.
Century Link has, for now, dropped the call and cut price game and just offers a fixed price that won't ever change if you don't change service. Changing service though means just about any action on your account like going seasonal when you are not here. It could go up if they are not offering their promotion still.

I've had decent installers with both, cable is a self install usually. CL might want to send out a tech for the 100 Mbps. You can use your own modem with Cox too and save a bit. With CL you pretty much have to rent or buy their interface modem. I run that in bridge mode with a really good router in front of it as the CL combo box had a crappy router section at the time I first signed on. FWIW, most problems I see from friends and neighbors that are blamed on the provider are actually router issues caused by so many devices connected and congestion in the neighborhood on 2.4G wireless. A fast router with 5G everywhere you can get it to work, or ethernet for TVs, can help a lot whether its Cox or CL.

(if you plan to mess with modem and router settings - like bridge mode setup - make sure the CL installer gives you your ID and password)

Old 02-08-2019, 08:33 AM

2,653 posts, read 3,043,759 times
I've had both companies for internet and currently have Cox for internet only. My monthly bill is a whopping $70/mo. That's more than my DirecTV bill.

Anyone else paying $70 for Cox internet only?

BTW, for anyone with DirecTV, can the receivers be moved to different rooms? I tried disconnecting one active receiver and moving it into a bedroom with no service. It didn't work. Why?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area