U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Thanksgiving Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2019, 06:16 AM

9,411 posts, read 10,373,662 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wit-nit View Post
A few days of cold weather here beats months of hot steamy sweaty 80-90 percent humidity in FL.
Humidity is so good for your skin!

Old 02-21-2019, 06:44 AM

6,683 posts, read 7,985,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Jazz View Post
Not slightly, but significantly warmer on average. In fact the average winter overnight low in Miami is similar to the average winter daytime high in Phoenix.
When I think of South Florida, I don't necessarily only think of Miami. I've always thought of "South Florida" containing the middle of the state down to Key West. According to Wikipedia, "South Florida" does NOT even include even Naples. Rather, as you pointed out it's the southern most portion of the state. So I stand corrected.

With that said, on February 21st in Miami, the average high of 79 degrees https://www.accuweather.com/en/us/mi...weather/347936 . In PHX, the average is 72 degrees. But in Tampa, the average high temp for February 21st is 73 degrees or one degree higher than PHX.

You are right so long as you are examining and move the very southern portion of the state of FL, you definitely will be warmer. Still, that doesn't include a massive amount of FL, In fact, it can get very cold in February!

Lowest Tampa temperatures in recent years:
Min °F Date
29 January 18, 2018
34 January 08, 2017
37 January 24, 2016
34 February 20, 2015
33 January 07, 2014
38 November 28, 2013
34 February 12, 2012
31 January 13, 2011
25 January 11, 2010

Source https://www.currentresults.com/Yearl...emperature.php

What often happens, when it is cold in FL, it is warm in AZ. For instance, on February 20, 2015 ^^, when it was cold in Tampa (low of 34 degrees and a HIGH of 54 F), it was 79 in Phoenix. If it is cool in both spots, look to the northern states to have some record warm-up temps. It's why those (idiots) who say: "gee, so much for global warming, it's barely 50 degrees today in Phoenix" don't understand the concept of averages. As a whole, the earths average temps are factually rising. Hence, our globe is warming. I digress....

Last edited by MN-Born-n-Raised; 02-21-2019 at 07:02 AM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2019, 08:31 AM

2,066 posts, read 3,405,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Forget the humidity. It's the humanity. 21 million people in a state 1/2 the size of Arizona. No thanks.
Don't forget the bugs! I've seen Palmetto bugs (roaches) the size of a VW Beatle down there!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Born-n-Raised View Post
When I think of South Florida, I don't necessarily only think of Miami. I've always thought of "South Florida" containing the middle of the state down to Key West. According to Wikipedia, "South Florida" does NOT even include even Naples. Rather, as you pointed out it's the southern most portion of the state. So I stand corrected.

With that said, on February 21st in Miami, the average high of 79 degrees https://www.accuweather.com/en/us/mi...weather/347936 . In PHX, the average is 72 degrees. But in Tampa, the average high temp for February 21st is 73 degrees or one degree higher than PHX.

You are right so long as you are examining and move the very southern portion of the state of FL, you definitely will be warmer. Still, that doesn't include a massive amount of FL, In fact, it can get very cold in February!

Lowest Tampa temperatures in recent years:
Min °F Date
29 January 18, 2018
34 January 08, 2017
37 January 24, 2016
34 February 20, 2015
33 January 07, 2014
38 November 28, 2013
34 February 12, 2012
31 January 13, 2011
25 January 11, 2010

Source https://www.currentresults.com/Yearl...emperature.php

What often happens, when it is cold in FL, it is warm in AZ. For instance, on February 20, 2015 ^^, when it was cold in Tampa (low of 34 degrees and a HIGH of 54 F), it was 79 in Phoenix. If it is cool in both spots, look to the northern states to have some record warm-up temps. It's why those (idiots) who say: "gee, so much for global warming, it's barely 50 degrees today in Phoenix" don't understand the concept of averages. As a whole, the earths average temps are factually rising. Hence, our globe is warming. I digress....

Florida gets such a large fluctuation in weather from the northern part of the state to the south,heck even central Florida is cold as you pointed out with Tampa's weather. Naples is considered Southwest Florida which covers 5 counties Lee, Collier, Charlotte, Hendry and Glades Counties. Tampa is closer to central FL which is in Hillsborough County. So if we're getting technical here anything above South and Southwest Florida is to cold in the winter.

I've spent many winters (20+) on Marco Island and would take their winters any day compared to ours here in Phoenix. Almost every day is a beach day there with your occasional cool front but you can bet from Dec - March they have much better weather than we do. With that said I much prefer our summers here which are dryer (except for July and August) compared to the soupy humidity they get. The heats not for everyone but some like myself really enjoy it. But within a few months there will be another weather thread but this time complaining about the heat.

Old 02-21-2019, 09:15 AM

2,918 posts, read 1,663,422 times
agree; Marco Island is great, just not in the summer...I guess its not that great here in the summer either, but, I too take dry heat over oppressive humidity

Old 02-21-2019, 10:05 AM

859 posts, read 769,330 times
Consider the last few Februaries were above or at average temp (hit 80 a few times), this years' is an outlier. Spring training is starting next week and our weather is getting back to normal and all will be well. You can't beat spring training in AZ and many people won't change their plans for a few days of colder weather. By contrast, yes, S Fl is having above average temps right but EWWW it's humid.

Old 02-21-2019, 04:36 PM

5,943 posts, read 3,083,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jnvlv247 View Post
Consider the last few Februaries were above or at average temp (hit 80 a few times), this years' is an outlier. Spring training is starting next week and our weather is getting back to normal and all will be well. You can't beat spring training in AZ and many people won't change their plans for a few days of colder weather. By contrast, yes, S Fl is having above average temps right but EWWW it's humid.
Slight correction. The first game was today (unless it got rained out). They moved all the games up by one week from prior years and will conclude one week earlier to accommodate an earlier open for the regular season. Mostly so the World Series won't be played in bad weather. Gotta love the irony.

Last edited by take57; 02-21-2019 at 04:53 PM..

Old 02-21-2019, 07:51 PM

1,194 posts, read 934,914 times
Curious what the snow and rainfall totals will be in the metro and up in the mountains. Looks like a lot of heavy precipitation currently happening on the radar.

Old 02-21-2019, 08:01 PM

4,408 posts, read 9,255,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chahunt View Post
Curious what the snow and rainfall totals will be in the metro and up in the mountains. Looks like a lot of heavy precipitation currently happening on the radar.

The snow that blanketed northern Arizona throughout the day Thursday reached record-shattering levels.

By 5:30 p.m., the snow level at the Flagstaff airport hit 31.6 inches, breaking an all-time single-day record set in 1915, according to the National Weather Service.

Flagstaff breaks one-day record as snow blankets high country

That's just earlier today. Estimated 5"-8" expected tonight, and another 1"-3" tomorrow (for Flagstaff).

Old 02-21-2019, 11:26 PM

6,469 posts, read 9,560,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chahunt View Post
Much of the Phoenix area averaged around an inch of rain today, and some snow fell in the far north Valley & actually stuck to the ground. Mid elevation towns north of Phoenix, such as Payson, received an overwhelming amount of snow ... up to 2 feet in some locations. Higher elevation places like Flagstaff received over 3 feet, and more is still on the way.

All I can say is that I'm loving this weather! We've had a string of winters which were warmer & drier than normal, so we are finally making up for it in a big way. It has definitely been colder this winter here, and snowier in northern AZ than the past few years, which is very much welcome. Overall, it really hasn't been much of a wet winter thus far in the Phoenix area. Most of the heavier rainfall has been confined to coastal CA.

Old 02-22-2019, 02:05 AM

22,704 posts, read 11,853,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Jazz View Post
A cold winter probably won't change the mentality of snowbirds even though our average winter temperatures are more similar to Houston than Southern Florida. People are just more educated about Houston's climate which is why it has little to no snowbird appeal.
Yep, where I live in eastern Washington has had record snowfalls and all month several feet of snow on the ground and our average for the month of February is 25F which is 15F below the average for the month...in the next 10 days, we are expecting snow in 6 of them and temps in the 20's all 10 days....everyone is pining to go to Arizona, Florida, Mexico or Socal. Don't expect a bit of cool temps to change that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or