Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-21-2019, 10:31 AM

66 posts, read 57,823 times

Advertisements

Relocation to a warm area has been a thought for a few years. My comfort with my current client base created an inertia.

However, I am now working a 100% off-site contract for this year, and I have made contact with a trusted person who is a Phoenix defense/aerospace software engineering contractor and who gave positive details about the workloads that are available.

He suggested a rectangle that encloses the north part of the 101 that is east-west, from bend to bend, within a mile north or south of that road. I have Zillowed that region and found plenty of candidate houses in the mid-200K range that are of the size we want (say 1100-1400 sf) and meet other criteria we have (2-car garage, no pool, copious block fence, and such). Some of the region is in Glendale and most is in Phoenix. Our plan would be to sell here (Northern Iilinois) and move to a rental abode and then investigate houses in person over a period of time. Are there any neighborhoods in this rectangle that deserve special mention to investigate or avoid, in terms of either a final house purchase or the temporary rental abode?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2019, 01:17 PM

2,153 posts, read 5,175,351 times
The area you are talking about is quite large. In that area, you will find pockets of less desirable homes and pockets of high-end homes, along with a lot of mid-priced homes. So, in general, I would say that you should have no problem finding a property, although mid-200s will be on the lower end of the price point.

Your plan to rent for a while makes sense because it will take you a little while to familiarize yourself with Phoenix and make an informed decision.

Old 02-21-2019, 02:29 PM

66 posts, read 57,823 times
Thank you, AZJoeD. I noticed in that region that when the houses started to approach 300K, they were mostly getting too big and/or having pools. It seemed like this on a Zillow Tour for houses of small size:

180K Minimal abode
220K Humble abode
260K Nice abode
300K Complete abode

Old 02-21-2019, 06:03 PM

3,424 posts, read 2,918,983 times
Zillow is not the place to find out about the housing situation in that area; you need to actually come here and see for yourself..
The area you are asking about has million dollar houses, as well as 180k rat holes, so an in person visit will help you decide EXACTLY what area to concentrate on..
and yes, 250k probably wont buy you anything nice in the good parts of the area you had mentioned; better move that budget closer to 300k..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
View detailed profiles of: