Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2008, 12:37 PM

12 posts, read 53,234 times

Advertisements

Hi From checking out the messages on here it looks like there are quite a few of us looking for information and tips on making the move to Phoenix. I'm going to be moving from DC to start a PhD program in Public Administration at the downtown campus in the Fall. I'm making a trip out to find an apartment in June hopefully in one of the Historic Districts downtown. What programs are you all going into? Where are you looking for housing? What are you most looking forward to?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2008, 12:50 PM

12 posts, read 57,196 times
Hi Andrea,

I'm heading to the Tempe campus to study a PhD. When you say the downtown campus, I'm assuming they have an urban campus outside of tempe. I actually don't know much about the others, apart from the flagship.

You may be better off; I prefer the urban university. Flagships are usually havens for titanic parties; that was fun for awhile, but now I'm too old lol.

I'm excited, but I'm also used to counting on great public transport, much like the DC area. I'm buying a bike!

Best wishes!

Old 04-09-2008, 01:09 PM

937 posts, read 2,833,437 times
Bikes, skateboards and rollerblades are very popular in the Tempe area near ASU.

Old 04-09-2008, 01:55 PM

3,819 posts, read 11,937,252 times
Yes ASU now has a downtown Phoenix campus that is only a couple of years old and is really growing fast, with many new buildings under construction.

I'm not sure if student housing is appealing to either of you, but there are two brand new 13 story buildings being built at the downtown campus right now...here is the website for more information: Taylor Place - An ASU Downtown Phoenix Residential Community

Also take a look at the post I made showing off the Portland St area: Working in downtown Phoenix? Curious about moving to downtown? Look here...

This can also be an option, and it's only one light rail stop away from the downtown ASU campus and several to the Tempe campus, but still probably only 15-20 minutes by light rail.

Old 04-09-2008, 02:14 PM

5,610 posts, read 23,301,938 times
Taylor Place is a new "dorm" ("residential community" is the preferred lingo for "dorms" at ASU) I'm pretty sure. That's not really an option for most grad students, especially considering that they kick you out of the dorms during summer and winter breaks. It looks nice though.

Old 04-09-2008, 03:17 PM

12 posts, read 53,234 times
I would love to live in Taylor Place, it looks like it's going to be really nice. Unfortunately, my dorm days are long over and even if they weren't I'm pretty sure they'd have a problem with me bringing my 2 cats.

I also plan on biking and/or taking the bus as much as possible. I know I can't reasonably expect to live in Phoenix without a car for long, but I've been so spoiled by DC transportation that the whole hassle of buying and maintaining a car on a PhD stipend almost sounds like more trouble than its worth.

Old 04-09-2008, 04:46 PM

5,610 posts, read 23,301,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreaDC2PHX View Post
I would love to live in Taylor Place, it looks like it's going to be really nice. Unfortunately, my dorm days are long over and even if they weren't I'm pretty sure they'd have a problem with me bringing my 2 cats.

I also plan on biking and/or taking the bus as much as possible. I know I can't reasonably expect to live in Phoenix without a car for long, but I've been so spoiled by DC transportation that the whole hassle of buying and maintaining a car on a PhD stipend almost sounds like more trouble than its worth.
Contrary to what some people claim, it is possible to live in Phoenix without a car... it's just no fun, having to wait for the bus in the extreme heat. Not particularly safe either, especially for a young female living alone, considering that the streets around downtown become practically deserted at night (and daytime too). First two years in the dorms I used to bicycle to Safeway and put the grocery bags over the handles of the bicycle-- I must have looked like a real character! If one of your best friends has a car and you're able to bum rides off them all the time, you might be able to make it work. It's logistically possible, but at what cost? The light rail will make living in Phoenix with no car more livable, but there's only so many times you can go take the train to Mill Ave (pretty much the only pedestrian friendly area accessible by the future light rail where you can can walk around day or night) before you'll get bored there.

Old 04-09-2008, 10:54 PM

401 posts, read 2,604,411 times
I was thinking about going to Arizona State for college next fall but wisely thought better of it. I might transfer in a year or two if I really feel like it, but its not likely at all

Old 04-10-2008, 06:46 PM

38 posts, read 135,771 times
I'm going to ASU for a PhD program in the fall too! If anyone needs a roommate let me know, I'm an excellent one

Old 05-24-2008, 07:05 PM

1 posts, read 4,493 times
Hello! A quick note to share that Taylor Place will be open during winter break (at no cost) and also is also available for summer housing. There is wi-fi throughout the building, rooms have their own private bathroom, and there are laundry facilities on every floor.

While cats (and pets other than fish) aren't possible, grad students are welcome. Grad students will live on the same area of the building and can opt for a single room for more privacy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area