U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2008, 07:15 PM

141 posts, read 223,594 times

Advertisements

I'm curious what the lowest temperature phoenix usually gets every year? I always hear how hot it is in the summer, but what are the lowest temps?

I am considering relocating to phoenix next January. I would like to see what phoenix is like in the summer (to see if i can bare it.) and i would also like to see how it is in the more bearable seasons as well. But, i probably cant afford to visit 2 times this year before i plan to move. What to do? thanks

Old 04-09-2008, 07:31 PM

5,470 posts, read 14,391,104 times
If we use this year and last year as recent examples, what seems to happen is after months and months of heat and warm temperatures, the temperature suddenly drops in swings-- starting shortly after Thanksgiving, we were having daily high temperatures averaging in the 60s for about 3 months, with a lot of rain. You might get an occasional day where the high is in the mid fifties. The coldest day time high it's ever been for me here was 47 degrees a year ago in January. On the coldest winter nights, some of the outskirts of the valley can drop below freezing into low 30s and even 20s. Usually areas centrally located (Tempe, central Phoenix, etc) rarely drop below freezing. The winter here is nothing to complain about, and I actually like cool weather, but it's not exactly balmy either. A lot of people here compalin about how "cold" the winters here supposedly are, but I think that's because their bodies have been so fried out by the sun over the years that they have become virtually "cold blooded." For me, the winters here are not cold enough. By mid February, early March things are usually getting pretty warm again. Right now the weather is warm, even hot during the day if you're out in the direct sun, but perfect at night.

Old 04-09-2008, 07:39 PM

28,505 posts, read 21,629,733 times
It's hit 17 several times. The norm is in the 25-32 range. It also runs in cyles where there are a period of years of warmer than normal weather and then a period of years when it's consistantly colder.

Old 04-10-2008, 02:51 AM

77 posts, read 185,359 times
The lowest, as in, overnight lows . . . it can get down to the 20s in the extreme, but more typically it is in the 40s with a handful of nightly freezes every winter (which kill plants and destroy PVC pipes because no one plans for them). The average daily high temperature in the winter is in the 60's. When I used to work outside at 6am, I remember wearing three jackets in the morning (I don't own a coat), and by 3pm I was back to a t-shirt.

Old 04-10-2008, 10:57 AM

5,470 posts, read 14,391,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Climacus View Post
The lowest, as in, overnight lows . . . it can get down to the 20s in the extreme, but more typically it is in the 40s with a handful of nightly freezes every winter (which kill plants and destroy PVC pipes because no one plans for them). The average daily high temperature in the winter is in the 60's. When I used to work outside at 6am, I remember wearing three jackets in the morning (I don't own a coat), and by 3pm I was back to a t-shirt.
I've always wondered that... how come living in Denver where it regularly gets in the teens on cold winter nights and sometimes in the single digits and occasionally below zero I never even heard of pipes bursting, but here in Phoenix just a tiny bit of mild cold seems to wreak havoc? Are houses built different in Phoenix?

Old 04-10-2008, 11:08 AM
YAZ

6,185 posts, read 6,781,861 times
Lots of outdoor plumbing here in the valley.

Not insulated either.

Our water heater is outside, go figure.

From what I've heard, irrigation systems are the biggest problems for busted pipes, leaks, etc.

Old 04-10-2008, 12:47 PM

180 posts, read 413,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aenej4 View Post
I'm curious what the lowest temperature phoenix usually gets every year? I always hear how hot it is in the summer, but what are the lowest temps?

I am considering relocating to phoenix next January. I would like to see what phoenix is like in the summer (to see if i can bare it.) and i would also like to see how it is in the more bearable seasons as well. But, i probably cant afford to visit 2 times this year before i plan to move. What to do? thanks
30F in the city and maybe 25F father out is about as cold as it gets in winter. Of course that is 30F in the early am before the sun comes up. The lowest highs are in the 50's for the most part.

Old 04-10-2008, 02:38 PM

123 posts, read 344,072 times
I'm in South Gilbert and it has gotten down into the upper 20's a few times in January and February in the early morning, but generally the average low is around 40 with highs in the mid 60's in January, mid-70's in February and into the 80's by March. We have had almost 3 inches of rain since January 1st, but no measurable rain at my place since February 21st.

BTW, sunshine is plentiful with about half the days in January being sunny, about 60% sunny days in February and about 85% sunny days in March.

This is data for 2008...since I just moved here last July

Old 04-10-2008, 07:51 PM

1,271 posts, read 3,251,742 times
I relocated from Cleveland in September, so anything above zero is warm in the winter lol!

That said....

As the other posters said, this last year there was maybe a couple times (if that) night lows would dip into the high 30s. Usually somewhere in the 40s. With daytime highs in the 60-70 range better part of the "winter". It was around 70' on New Years. Which is cool. Because you can go outside and be comfortable in just a lightweight jacket or like a thin sweatshirt or sweater. But come evening once the sun goes down is when it chills. So essentially stay indoors 10pm-10am or so and it will be consistently in the 60s or so when you go outside LOL! And there usually isnt a ton of wind or anything so when the sun is shining it is really comfortable.

I threw away all my winter coats when I left Cleveland. All I brought is a "pant" waist length coat (what we called a rain jacket back in Cleveland lol!) that is fairly light. I only wore that twice. Rest of the time was just regular light long sleeve or sweatshirts or a light sweater.

The positive: You dont have to shovel the sunshine. Even being a tad chilly isnt bad when you arent shoveling it off your walks and cars.

Old 04-12-2008, 12:49 AM

3,546 posts, read 4,661,928 times
Distant suburbs and outlying areas can easily dip into the 20s on the coldest winter nights ... but the more urbanized areas seldom drop below 40 degrees during much of the winter. Only on the very coldest nights can the lows drop to the mid to upper 30s in the urban areas (which are often in late December or January). That is due to the urban heat island ... and it's also why no record low temperatures have occurred at Sky Harbor since 1990.

Summer low temperatures are in the 70s & 80s in June ... and 80s & 90s during July, August & the first part of September. So that should tell you that most summer nights aren't very comfortable (except after a rare monsoon thunderstorm). The monsoon period from approximately mid July to early September can be rather humid on top of the searing heat.

On average, the winter months of December, January, February, and March are the wettest months and the least sunny ... but as it was mentioned in another post above, sunshine is still ample here even during the rainy season. Occasionally, the monsoon months during the summer can be rainy too. The other times of the year are pretty dry, with June being the driest month on average and the most sunny.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area