Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2019, 11:16 PM

2,373 posts, read 1,913,458 times

Advertisements

I read this on a legal forum about something that could be sued over.

"A company erecting high-rise buildings along a lake, thus cutting off the view that you and your neighbors had of said lake, which in turns lowers your property value."

I also understand that many laws regarding so-called views (not like your issue) are over trees or fences blocking a view.

What magnificent views in AZ. You'd be best to consult a good lawyer so you know you've tried all you could.

The thing is this is not really a simple view blocking issue but a Property Value issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2019, 10:14 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,417,255 times
I doubt very much the OP is in an HOA, given the age of the neighborhood.

Old 03-04-2019, 12:41 PM

673 posts, read 465,965 times
You can always move. We did and that was the end of the problem. There is nice to have and there is reality.
Don't get me wrong, we didn't like the fact the people living next door built high but I could have done the same thing...
so can you

Old 03-04-2019, 01:46 PM

566 posts, read 573,495 times
Maybe I should build that casita that I'm not allowed to on my property.

Old 03-04-2019, 01:46 PM

679 posts, read 812,320 times
I have nosy neighbors who were always watching the goings on in my back yard. I got tired of them observing and interjecting themselves into my families activities so I put my storage shed right in their view of my backyard to prevent this. The lady of the house was bitchy about it but the guy understood. Not much they could do as I followed all the rules in my HOA/local area.

Now I can enjoy my backyard without feeling that I'm being spied on. Did it affect their "views?" Yes, but they would have a hard time arguing it lowered their resale value as homes are selling in record time in my area.

Another time, I know an elderly person who got all up in arms because the neighbor across the street cut down a tree that she liked to look at. Not her tree, not her property, but it certainly would have affected her if it fell down and hit her house.

Sometimes, you are dammed if you do, dammed if you don't. There's always someone out there feels they have a right to tell you what to do with your property...

Old 03-04-2019, 05:10 PM

2,373 posts, read 1,913,458 times
The thing is ....the OP's natural beauty views...those mountains and views in AZ. I've had mountain range views, lake views, field views and would hate to have that changed. No one around me would have wanted that either considering the price and savings and negotiating they went through to get them. And just a block away with no view....okay neighborhood but just a regular neighborhood where owners paid a regular price for the homes.

Old 03-04-2019, 05:59 PM

44,630 posts, read 61,620,191 times
If the city issued proper building permits then that owner can build to their hearts desire as long as they build what the permits are for. Sounds like op's ppty is next to a new subdivision which would be HOA restricted and the new build would need their HOA approval and if the city issued permits.

A 57 year old home should not be in an HOA, they didn't exist then and I doubt a new subdivision annexed them. There would be very little if any at all of a lower property value since the home was bought dirt cheap 57 years ago. It probably already has a 2000 % increase since op bought it back then.
Having an attorney involved would be very costly. Cheaper to move.

Old 03-04-2019, 06:51 PM

9,196 posts, read 16,643,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wit-nit View Post
If the city issued proper building permits then that owner can build to their hearts desire as long as they build what the permits are for. Sounds like op's ppty is next to a new subdivision which would be HOA restricted and the new build would need their HOA approval and if the city issued permits.

A 57 year old home should not be in an HOA, they didn't exist then and I doubt a new subdivision annexed them. There would be very little if any at all of a lower property value since the home was bought dirt cheap 57 years ago. It probably already has a 2000 % increase since op bought it back then.
Having an attorney involved would be very costly. Cheaper to move.
Do you think property values are based on the homes’ original purchase price? Your logic makes no sense. Surely there is some premium for a view lot. Housing prices are based on today’s market.

Old 03-04-2019, 08:02 PM

8,042 posts, read 12,265,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mortgageboss View Post
I have nosy neighbors who were always watching the goings on in my back yard. I got tired of them observing and interjecting themselves into my families activities so I put my storage shed right in their view of my backyard to prevent this. The lady of the house was bitchy about it but the guy understood. Not much they could do as I followed all the rules in my HOA/local area.

Now I can enjoy my backyard without feeling that I'm being spied on. Did it affect their "views?" Yes, but they would have a hard time arguing it lowered their resale value as homes are selling in record time in my area.

Another time, I know an elderly person who got all up in arms because the neighbor across the street cut down a tree that she liked to look at. Not her tree, not her property, but it certainly would have affected her if it fell down and hit her house.

Sometimes, you are dammed if you do, dammed if you don't. There's always someone out there feels they have a right to tell you what to do with your property...
Bravo! If the OP actually owned the neighbor's property, she would probably have a legitimate case ... however, more than likely, she doesn't have any kind of ownership stake of the neighboring property, and she certainly doesn't own the "mountain". Therefore, she either needs to put up with it, or move.

Quote:
Originally Posted by petsandgardens View Post
The thing is ....the OP's natural beauty views...those mountains and views in AZ. I've had mountain range views, lake views, field views and would hate to have that changed. No one around me would have wanted that either considering the price and savings and negotiating they went through to get them. And just a block away with no view....okay neighborhood but just a regular neighborhood where owners paid a regular price for the homes.
Ohhhh, those precious mountain vieewws. Seriously, if gawking at a silly mountain is the only thing that keeps a person emotionally stable, then there is something seriously wrong mentally. If the OP lived in a remote area, a small town, or even in an exurban part of the Phoenix area (such as Fountain Hills), then I could possibly empathize with her ... however, she lives in a neighborhood in a large city. Big difference!

Old 03-04-2019, 11:52 PM

3,365 posts, read 5,238,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringler24 View Post
Maybe I should build that casita that I'm not allowed to on my property.
Ignore the peanut gallery. Anyone who thinks HOAs in this state are toothless is a moron. We just went through this with a guy who put up a permitted building in his back yard in my HOA. He has a corner lot so loads of room and the HOA denied the building but he started it anyway. They were given a cease and desist when framing began and the tradesmen stopped building right away. The permitted building is now torn down and back to nothing after they took it through the courts, which took ages and was very expensive.

Permits don't mean you can bypass the wishes of an HOA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area