Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2019, 09:13 AM

56 posts, read 63,597 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know of a "view obstruction ordinance" for the Sunnyslope area? Especially in the Ocotillo Hills subdivision?

Here's my dilemma:
My neighbor (without ever reaching out to me to avoid a grievance) is building an addition on the back of his house that will totally obliterate my views of the mountain preserve behind me. This arbitrary action will negatively affect my resale value .... not to mention my emotional health. I've lived in this same house for 57 years and never saw this one coming. It has been utterly devastating. I'm in my 70's and had hoped to enjoy the peace and wonder of the mountain in my retirement. Sorry.

Anyway, it appears that some kind of view ordinance or view easement may be my only hope. The neighbor has proper permits in place and without any other legal recourse, I'm SOL.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2019, 03:25 PM

743 posts, read 876,470 times
I can't offer any help but I wanted to say that I'm sorry this is happening to you. To live in a home for 57 years is amazing. You have probably seen a lot happen to your neighborhood over the years.
Your situation is awful. Can you call the county or talk with an attorney regarding your rights? It might be well worth a few hundred bucks to see if there's anything you can do.

Good luck.

Old 03-03-2019, 03:44 PM

566 posts, read 573,495 times
Are you in an HOA? If not you're probably out of luck. Sorry this has happened. I'd be upset too.

Old 03-03-2019, 04:30 PM

4,624 posts, read 9,277,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by piscesinphoenix View Post
Does anyone know of a "view obstruction ordinance" for the Sunnyslope area? Especially in the Ocotillo Hills subdivision?

Here's my dilemma:
My neighbor (without ever reaching out to me to avoid a grievance) is building an addition on the back of his house that will totally obliterate my views of the mountain preserve behind me. This arbitrary action will negatively affect my resale value .... not to mention my emotional health. I've lived in this same house for 57 years and never saw this one coming. It has been utterly devastating. I'm in my 70's and had hoped to enjoy the peace and wonder of the mountain in my retirement. Sorry.

Anyway, it appears that some kind of view ordinance or view easement may be my only hope. The neighbor has proper permits in place and without any other legal recourse, I'm SOL.

Some cities have view ordinances. For example a house right on the ocean likely wouldn't be able to build a second floor addition if that blocked the neighbors existing ocean view. I am not sure if Phoenix has this or not, so I would recommend you consult a real estate attorney. There's also the issue whether or not the addition was even permitted.

Old 03-03-2019, 04:42 PM

6,300 posts, read 4,196,397 times
that is so distressing so sorry. The only thing I found is this
https://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclope...ews-29942.html

This link might have some suggestions such as your subdivision zoning laws.

Old 03-03-2019, 04:52 PM

2,773 posts, read 5,725,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringler24 View Post
Are you in an HOA? If not you're probably out of luck. Sorry this has happened. I'd be upset too.

OP said proper permits in place HOA can most likely pound sand.

Old 03-03-2019, 05:22 PM

566 posts, read 573,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burning Madolf View Post
OP said proper permits in place HOA can most likely pound sand.

I could get lots of approved permits from the city but my HOA has rules about building which I must follow.

Old 03-03-2019, 05:27 PM
YAZ

7,707 posts, read 14,084,935 times
I feel terrible for the OP. While much of Sunnyslope has been gentrified, more needs to be done. Instead, we're building nicer homes on top of nice homes.

Old 03-03-2019, 05:59 PM

8,042 posts, read 12,263,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by piscesinphoenix View Post

Here's my dilemma:

Despite your residence bordering a preserve area, you live in a neighborhood in the nation's 5th largest city. With that in mind, you're going to have neighbors who can rightfully do whatever they want on their own property regardless if you agree with them. Sorry, but that's life. If he has proper permits in place as you stated, there is nothing you can do (except perhaps move to a smaller, quieter place where your retirement and views won't be disturbed as much). Seriously, if a blocked mountain is affecting your emotional health, it seems there is something more to this story on your part which might require some medical evaluation.

Old 03-03-2019, 10:02 PM

2,773 posts, read 5,725,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringler24 View Post
I could get lots of approved permits from the city but my HOA has rules about building which I must follow.

Yeah, and I'd put my money on an AZ judge siding with a town/city over and HOA any day. Ask any lawyer advising an HOA and they will tell you the same.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area