Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2019, 04:34 PM

82 posts, read 118,739 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chairmaker13 View Post
I initially thought the city was too big, but it's getting smaller.

I seemed to have discovered the "magic time" for commuting to work.

I find the service workers very friendly and polite in general. This contrasts many of the service workers in Alberta, Canada that seem to hate every moment of life and make sure you know it.

The driving is mostly good, except for the amazingly insecure guys driving the big 4WD's. What's with them? They're not happy with anyone in front of them. They drive like they could take on anyone, but they're puny. Any backbone they have is only in place when in their truck behind their darked out windows. Oh well, I just let them go by always keeping in mind how many Americans have guns and are not mentally stable. Had a guy and a girl flip out because they drove into a CVS parking lot way too fast as I was about to pull across in front of them. I stopped when I saw them...but not good enough, they both flipped out and it wasn't even a near miss. They went by with at least 10 feet between us. It was sort of disturbing to see how angry they got. I can only imagine their life together at home, never any happiness, just anger, resentment, maybe hatred. hmmm....maybe I won't last in this city. But, I'll give it a good try. I hope I don't see that kind of crap too often.

Grocery prices are quite acceptable.

I'd like to see gas a little lower in price.

Went to Home Depot to shop prices for a little backyard project. I saw what I expected, very overpriced low quality lumber. Will have to shop around the other stores I guess.

I discovered the 303, I nice quick route from south to north, not quite as much traffic as the 101 so it seemed.

I discovered the Ranch Market. I feel like I'm in Mexico. Quality meat and other things and a lot of Mexican groceries including great ceviche.

Question: How many of the homeless on the streets with signs asking for help are honest. Do they just need a meal and some water or a few dollars for food, or will they spend it on an addiction? I'm not blind and hardened to it yet. I hope never to be.
Are you from Alberta? Are large trucks, aggressive drivers and homeless people not an issue there?

Old 03-31-2019, 06:21 PM

15,250 posts, read 12,957,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freestoneangler View Post
Are you from Alberta? Are large trucks, aggressive drivers and homeless people not an issue there?

Nah, it's Canada. Everything is wrapped in cotton wool so no one gets hurt.

You guys are funny. You object to the Canuck's characterization of guys driving 4WD pickups and gloss over this sneer:

Quote:
Oh well, I just let them go by always keeping in mind how many Americans have guns and are not mentally stable.

Old 03-31-2019, 06:42 PM

1,023 posts, read 1,451,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
Nah, it's Canada. Everything is wrapped in cotton wool so no one gets hurt.

You guys are funny. You object to the Canuck's characterization of guys driving 4WD pickups and gloss over this sneer:
Yeah, a little sneer...But when somebody's right they're right!

Old 04-01-2019, 12:24 AM

4,468 posts, read 10,613,847 times
I didn't consider the gun comment to be a sneer, but a fairly accurate observation based on the amount of mass shootings we have compared to other first world countries

As for the aggressive truck drivers...they're just as likely to be female these days as they are male. So stop stereotyping on gender, folks.

Old 04-01-2019, 06:45 AM

39,077 posts, read 51,218,516 times
I'm about as aggressive (impatient is a better word for it)a driver as there is out there and most of my miles are in a minivan.

Old 04-01-2019, 10:16 AM

1,216 posts, read 1,909,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ Manager View Post
Loves the sunny days in March he says... Enjoy it because that's about to end very quickly.

As for the big trucks, it's likely a you problem not a big truck problem. I guarantee the vehicle isn't at all related to the behavior and if you were paying closer attention you would find small cars and SUVs riding your rear. Honestly it seems more like an intolerance thing and you are projecting your personal insecurities onto this odd perception of a redneck you have. You want to fix the issue? Pay more attention to people around you and if you are driving slower then get out of the way. Problem solved, enjoy your time in the valley.

I will never get these self important people who come here and gum up the roads with their "my life is more important than yours" attitudes then blame everyone else for the hostility they receive.

Tourists and transplants...
Nothing is more self-important than risking the lives of others by driving dangerously simply because you're in a hurry. We're all trying to get to where we're going, yet the drivers the OP is speaking of think that their time is more valuable and traffic laws don't apply to them. I've lived and driven in many places and would agree that aggressive drivers are a problem here. I wouldn't say that they all drive big trucks though.

Old 04-01-2019, 10:21 AM

8,042 posts, read 12,261,295 times
Quote:
I initially thought the city was too big, but it's getting smaller.
Not sure what you mean by this. Phoenix is not getting smaller by any means.

Quote:
The driving is mostly good, except for the amazingly insecure guys driving the big 4WD's. What's with them? They're not happy with anyone in front of them. They drive like they could take on anyone, but they're puny. Any backbone they have is only in place when in their truck behind their darked out windows. Oh well, I just let them go by always keeping in mind how many Americans have guns and are not mentally stable. Had a guy and a girl flip out because they drove into a CVS parking lot way too fast as I was about to pull across in front of them. I stopped when I saw them...but not good enough, they both flipped out and it wasn't even a near miss. They went by with at least 10 feet between us. It was sort of disturbing to see how angry they got. I can only imagine their life together at home, never any happiness, just anger, resentment, maybe hatred. hmmm....maybe I won't last in this city. But, I'll give it a good try. I hope I don't see that kind of crap too often.
Agreed about the idiots in the big trucks. I have no use for them either ... however, my biggest pet peeve in traffic is the timid slowpokes who won't get moving on green lights, won't drive any faster than 30 MPH on freeway entrance ramps, and seem to purposely drive slower than the traffic flow on freeways. Consider the fact that perhaps the person who you consider to be an aggressive driver might simply be in a hurry, and doesn't need to be inconvenienced by those who move at a snail's pace. While it's impossible to drive fast during rush hour times, it can actually be safe to drive fast when the traffic conditions allow for it. There are valid reasons why we drive fast here. Slowpokes are not only annoying, but they can be dangerous (especially the ones who impede the flow).

Quote:
Grocery prices are quite acceptable.

I'd like to see gas a little lower in price.
Groceries have gone up in price quite noticeably lately, but you can find reasonable prices depending on where you shop. While gas prices aren't as high as in CA, they're still not low by any means here.

Quote:
Question: How many of the homeless on the streets with signs asking for help are honest. Do they just need a meal and some water or a few dollars for food, or will they spend it on an addiction? I'm not blind and hardened to it yet. I hope never to be.
Most of them are scam artists who are looking for a quick buck to buy cigarettes, alcohol, or drugs. You'll see a lot of them around downtown Tempe and many parts of Phoenix. My advice is just ignore them.

Old 04-01-2019, 10:57 AM

872 posts, read 999,367 times
Quote:

Lot of talks about the trucks lol I don't commute but I CAN comment on this

Sadly, you have to be. There are many known scams that go around, especially in the parking lots of Frys, Walmart and gas stations. What's worse is that some people will bring animals and children into play to make you feel more sorry for them. I have learned the hard way of being nice and helping people out and in this day and age you cannot trust anyone. Best to say no and they will move on to the next person.

The fact is, there are so many programs and agencies that can help these people. This is not an AZ issue but a country issue. A lot of the homeless just don't want to put that work in to changing their lives around. The sad truth is that many of them really CAN improve but just don't.

Old 04-01-2019, 03:01 PM

1,607 posts, read 2,014,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
however, my biggest pet peeve in traffic is the timid slowpokes who won't get moving on green lights, won't drive any faster than 30 MPH on freeway entrance ramps, and seem to purposely drive slower than the traffic flow on freeways. .

So it's not just me that I'm always screaming in my head for them to MOVE already at a green light. I do allow for a second or so for red light runners. But after that, get your tail a movin'

Old 04-01-2019, 04:51 PM

61 posts, read 48,250 times
I'm from D/FW Texas and there are more "bro dozers" and "mall crawlers" here than in Texas. Texas has a reputation for big things too but there are more of these stupid pointless trucks in Phoenix. They all have to install exhausts so they can all sound the same and do body lifts so they can be bigger than everyone else even though it's not functional.

Now I'm not saying all of them, but there is a high percentage of these dumb ****s and I could deal without them.

Same with ricers but those are funny, the bro-dozers are just plain stupid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area