Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2008, 09:45 PM

2,441 posts, read 7,006,467 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fcorrales80 View Post
I have family there, LOL! There are very small gangs in Phoenix, I believe one gang in L.A., 13th st. is larger than all the gangs in Phoenix combined...around 20,000-30,000 members. I never said there weren't gangs, just not a huge presence.
I have a hard time believing that there are accurate member count for gang affliliation. Is there a gang census form that I am unfamiliar with? With the transient nature of the Valley, it's hard to believe that any gang counts are close to accurate.

It doesn't take 20,000 gang members to make a neighborhood, or school, dangerous.

There are areas of South Phoenix and Maryvale where gunshots can be heard daily. I guess your family must be blessed to live in pretty pleasant areas within those communities.

For purposes here, I would recommend the OP look for schools that are either private or public schools in wealthier communities. Arizona public education already ranks dead last. Lord only knows what public education in poor neighborhoods of the Valley is like.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2008, 09:49 PM

133 posts, read 376,761 times
Quote:
Brophy College Prep for boys and Xavier for Girls, St. Mary's, Liberty, Chapparal, are good schools in the Phoenix area. I know there are more but those I am familiar with. There is not a big gang problem in Phoenix. Smaller cities like Albuquerque, Oakland, Denver, and Minneapolis have a much, much larger gang problem than Phoenix.
Sunnyslope is excellent, as is the International Baccalaureate program at North Phoenix High School and Chandler High School. Brophy, Xavier, Chapparal and Notre Dame are the best prep schools, Chapparal being the only public school in the bunch.

Old 06-29-2008, 10:10 PM

3,995 posts, read 10,014,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiman View Post
I have a hard time believing that there are accurate member count for gang affliliation. Is there a gang census form that I am unfamiliar with? With the transient nature of the Valley, it's hard to believe that any gang counts are close to accurate.

It doesn't take 20,000 gang members to make a neighborhood, or school, dangerous.

There are areas of South Phoenix and Maryvale where gunshots can be heard daily. I guess your family must be blessed to live in pretty pleasant areas within those communities.

For purposes here, I would recommend the OP look for schools that are either private or public schools in wealthier communities. Arizona public education already ranks dead last. Lord only knows what public education in poor neighborhoods of the Valley is like.
There are gang counts and estimates done by the Phoenix PD and other law enforcement agencies like the FBI for metro areas. When looking at school performance at Arizona, one must take into account the dynamics are work with school rankings. Arizona uses one of the most stingent forms or self-evaluation and include schools on Indian Reservation (no other state does). Schools perform bad in Arizona because of the huge migrant population of illegal hispanics (which may soon change due to laws). Those student place horribly in ALL test given because of a lack of basic education from

were they came and from knowing very little proper English. Your average American kid (white, black, hispanic, asian, etc.) in Arizona is not failing like those groups that bring down ratings of AZ schools. And remember, Phoenix area schools actually out perform the rest of the rural state and schools on poor indian reservations and in poor rural counties. Mesa PS has the highest graduation rate in the nation and many Phoenix schools have average SAT test scores that are above the national average. Some more info:

"Both North and North Canyon high schools made Newsweek's 2007 list of the top 1,351 high schools in the country, based on how well schools prepare students to excel in college. Also on the list: Paradise Valley's Pinnacle, Scottsdale's Chaparral and Desert Mountain, Glendale Union's Sunnyslope, and Chandler's Hamilton and Chandler High. "
List of schools with exceptional academic programs

"Greater Phoenix schools rank above national average
An important issue for residents in any location is the quality of education. The table below shows
the high school and unified districts that serve GPEC’s member cities. Arizona schools have[/SIZE]
adopted a new program that focuses on raising standards, requiring more discipline and[/SIZE]
expecting greater achievement.[/SIZE]
A statewide dropout prevention program was established in 1987[/SIZE]
In 1987, high school graduation requirements in math and science were also[/SIZE]
strengthened[/SIZE]
•The majority of Greater Phoenix school districts rank well above national averages on[/SIZE]
standardized achievement tests[/SIZE]
A number of the districts offer extensive “magnet” and other programs to help keep[/SIZE]
education relevant and interesting[/SIZE]
These districts provide specialized courses in career and vocational fields, articulating [/SIZE]
programs with the community colleges[/SIZE]
Magnet programs include: aeronautics and aerospace, visual arts, performing arts,[/SIZE]
agribusiness, computer studies, international baccalaureate, applied science and [/SIZE]
engineering, and 21st century leadership[/SIZE]"

http://www.surpriseaz.com/common/modules/documentcenter2/documentview.asp?DID=2065 (broken link)

Old 06-29-2008, 10:19 PM

Hopefully, this information will bring people back down to earth on their doom and gloom "gossip" about Phoenix schools.

Old 06-29-2008, 10:28 PM

Quote:
There are gang counts and estimates done by the Phoenix PD and other law enforcement agencies like the FBI for metro areas. When looking at school performance at Arizona, one must take into account the dynamics are work with school rankings. Arizona uses one of the most stingent forms or self-evaluation and include schools on Indian Reservation (no other state does). Schools perform bad in Arizona because of the huge migrant population of illegal hispanics (which may soon change due to laws). Those student place horribly in ALL test given because of a lack of basic education from

were they came and from knowing very little proper English. Your average American kid (white, black, hispanic, asian, etc.) in Arizona is not failing like those groups that bring down ratings of AZ schools. And remember, Phoenix area schools actually out perform the rest of the rural state and schools on poor indian reservations and in poor rural counties. Mesa PS has the highest graduation rate in the nation and many Phoenix schools have average SAT test scores that are above the national average. Some more info:

"Both North and North Canyon high schools made Newsweek's 2007 list of the top 1,351 high schools in the country, based on how well schools prepare students to excel in college. Also on the list: Paradise Valley's Pinnacle, Scottsdale's Chaparral and Desert Mountain, Glendale Union's Sunnyslope, and Chandler's Hamilton and Chandler High. "
List of schools with exceptional academic programs

"Greater Phoenix schools rank above national average
An important issue for residents in any location is the quality of education. The table below shows
the high school and unified districts that serve GPEC’s member cities. Arizona schools have[/SIZE]
adopted a new program that focuses on raising standards, requiring more discipline and[/SIZE]
expecting greater achievement.[/SIZE]
A statewide dropout prevention program was established in 1987[/SIZE]
In 1987, high school graduation requirements in math and science were also[/SIZE]
strengthened[/SIZE]
•The majority of Greater Phoenix school districts rank well above national averages on[/SIZE]
standardized achievement tests[/SIZE]
A number of the districts offer extensive “magnet” and other programs to help keep[/SIZE]
education relevant and interesting[/SIZE]
These districts provide specialized courses in career and vocational fields, articulating [/SIZE]
programs with the community colleges[/SIZE]
Magnet programs include: aeronautics and aerospace, visual arts, performing arts,[/SIZE]
agribusiness, computer studies, international baccalaureate, applied science and [/SIZE]
engineering, and 21st century leadership[/SIZE]"

http://www.surpriseaz.com/common/modules/documentcenter2/documentview.asp?DID=2065 (broken link)
"When in doubt, blame illegal immigration." This seems to be the motto of Arizona.

The fact of the matter is that poorer schools tend to have poorer funding than wealthier schools. Schools such as Sunrise Mountain, Desert Mountain, Chaparral, Desert Vista, Corona del Sol, Paradise Valley are all in upper-middle class or wealthy areas. We all know that wealthy areas tend to have great schools. Illegal immigration or not, schools in poor communities around the Valley are underachieving. You cannot tell me that these schools would be at the same level as Desert or Sunrise Mountain if illegal immigration came to a halt. The fact is as long as these schools are located in depressed areas, there will be depressed education.

If you must attribute the unachievement of schools around Arizona to illegal immigration, I would not hold your breath. Illegal immigration in Arizona is not going to end.

Old 06-29-2008, 10:42 PM

Quote:
"When in doubt, blame illegal immigration." This seems to be the motto of Arizona.

The fact of the matter is that poorer schools tend to have poorer funding than wealthier schools. Schools such as Sunrise Mountain, Desert Mountain, Chaparral, Desert Vista, Corona del Sol, Paradise Valley are all in upper-middle class or wealthy areas. We all know that wealthy areas tend to have great schools. Illegal immigration or not, schools in poor communities around the Valley are underachieving. You cannot tell me that these schools would be at the same level as Desert or Sunrise Mountain if illegal immigration came to a halt. The fact is as long as these schools are located in depressed areas, there will be depressed education.

If you must attribute the unachievement of schools around Arizona to illegal immigration, I would not hold your breath. Illegal immigration in Arizona is not going to end.
LOL, your fighting hard to try to make a case that doesn't hold it's weight in water. Illlegal immigration is a HUGE problem in Arizona along with the horrible school conditions on Indian Reservations. Both problems must be addressed. However, schools in Phoenix, even in poorer schools like North (which made the list of best schools in the nation) have a majority low-income student population. North High School is located at 10th St. and Thomas Rd. Hardly Scottsdale and is in an area with a huge low-income hispanic population...yet it is among the best in the nation. You're trying to tell me that Phoenix inner-city schools are doing worse than other cities...not true they actually out perform schools in other cities' inner-city. You have no idea what you are talking about. You should stop now because you are trying to argue against fact because of some bais you have towards Phoenix. Its a little annoying.

Old 06-29-2008, 10:58 PM

Quote:
LOL, your fighting hard to try to make a case that doesn't hold it's weight in water. Illlegal immigration is a HUGE problem in Arizona along with the horrible school conditions on Indian Reservations. Both problems must be addressed. However, schools in Phoenix, even in poorer schools like North (which made the list of best schools in the nation) have a majority low-income student population. North High School is located at 10th St. and Thomas Rd. Hardly Scottsdale and is in an area with a huge low-income hispanic population...yet it is among the best in the nation. You're trying to tell me that Phoenix inner-city schools are doing worse than other cities...not true they actually out perform schools in other cities' inner-city. You have no idea what you are talking about. You should stop now because you are trying to argue against fact because of some bais you have towards Phoenix. Its a little annoying.
I'm not really fighting. You're trying to attribute poor schools to a single issue when, in acutality, it is so much more complex than that. Please tell me why schools on Indian reservations are so poor (both monetarily and educationally)? Look at the income of the residents. Property taxes fund public schools. Bottom line. The lower the property taxes, the less funding the school gets. The less funding the school gets, the poorer the education.

Please tell me why the lowest graduation rates in this country are in Mississippi and Louisiana, which also happen to be the poorest states in this country. Really if you look at any area that's not a border state, you see the real story. Higher income=better education.

I understand that North High School brings in students from low-income neighborhoods. It also brings in plenty of students from upper-middle class neighborhoods. The upper-middle class neighborhoods bring in the property taxes necessary to make North a decent school. If the 100% of North's students came from lower-income communities, it would not be a top school in Arizona.

For someone who has just recently moved to Arizona, it is apparent you know NOTHING about how schools work. It is more than a little irritating that you think schools on reservations are poor solely because they're on reservations. Uh, no.

I'm sorry. You can't place all the blame on illegal immigration this time. Try again.

Old 06-29-2008, 11:05 PM

Quote:
I'm not really fighting. You're trying to attribute poor schools to a single issue when, in acutality, it is so much more complex than that. Please tell me why schools on Indian reservations are so poor (both monetarily and educationally)? Look at the income of the residents. Property taxes fund public schools. Bottom line. The lower the property taxes, the less funding the school gets. The less funding the school gets, the poorer the education.

Please tell me why the lowest graduation rates in this country are in Mississippi and Louisiana, which also happen to be the poorest states in this country. Really if you look at any area that's not a border state, you see the real story. Higher income=better education.

I understand that North High School brings in students from low-income neighborhoods. It also brings in plenty of students from upper-middle class neighborhoods. The upper-middle class neighborhoods bring in the property taxes necessary to make North a decent school. If the 100% of North's students came from lower-income communities, it would not be a top school in Arizona.

For someone who has just recently moved to Arizona, it is apparent you know NOTHING about how schools work. It is more than a little irritating that you think schools on reservations are poor solely because they're on reservations. Uh, no.

I'm sorry. You can't place all the blame on illegal immigration this time. Try again.
My family has been in Arizona since 1893! Don't try to talk to me like your some kind of native Maimiman...please! You don't know what you are talking about at all. The schools on reservation do poorly because education is valued very little by their residents. Same in MS and Louisianna. Yes, money helps but look at schools in Harlem, they have been doing much better than in the 80's and have much more success and they are still mostly poor in that area. Illegal immigration is a problem, sorry to break it to you. Its a sad fact that they have the highest drop out rates and teen pregnancy rates in the nation...even when compared to 3rd or 4th generation Hispanics that are lower income. Your other arguments are my arguments. That inner-city schools in ANY city have problems and many are struggling...this isn't unique to Phoenix.

Old 06-29-2008, 11:17 PM

Quote:
My family has been in Arizona since 1893! Don't try to talk to me like your some kind of native Maimiman...please! You don't know what you are talking about at all. The schools on reservation do poorly because education is valued very little by their residents. Same in MS and Louisianna. Yes, money helps but look at schools in Harlem, they have been doing much better than in the 80's and have much more success and they are still mostly poor in that area. Illegal immigration is a problem, sorry to break it to you. Its a sad fact that they have the highest drop out rates and teen pregnancy rates in the nation...even when compared to 3rd or 4th generation Hispanics that are lower income. Your other arguments are my arguments. That inner-city schools in ANY city have problems and many are struggling...this isn't unique to Phoenix.
Absolute BS. Your response is extremely classist and racist. How do you know that people on Indian reservations or in poor states of the South do not care about education? You're really just pulling that out of the air.

Property taxes fund school. Low property taxes, low funding for schools. So basically you're saying that people in poor communities don't care about education? Because, again, the poorest schools tend to be in the poorest communities. That would go against everything you said earlier about North High School having a significant low-income, minority population while still being a top school. What is your reasoning for why North is a top performing school then? You're contradicting yourself.

The best public schools tend to be in the states with the highest property values. California? Maryland? Connecticut? Massachusetts?

It's brutally apparent that you're making blanket statements out of ignorance, and not out of actual knowledge.

Old 06-29-2008, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Absolute BS. Your response is extremely classist and racist. How do you know that people on Indian reservations or in poor states of the South do not care about education? You're really just pulling that out of the air.

Property taxes fund school. Low property taxes, low funding for schools. So basically you're saying that people in poor communities don't care about education? Because, again, the poorest schools tend to be in the poorest communities. That would go against everything you said earlier about North High School having a significant low-income, minority population while still being a top school. What is your reasoning for why North is a top performing school then? You're contradicting yourself.

The best public schools tend to be in the states with the highest property values. California? Maryland? Connecticut? Massachusetts?

It's brutally apparent that you're making blanket statements out of ignorance, and not out of actual knowledge.
I'm not making blanket statements, I'm stating facts that can be found in census bereau counts,teen pregnancy rates, and drop-out rates. Also, if you attend meetings about the state of Indian Affairs at the Bereau of Indian Affairs in Central Phoenix you can learn about problems facing native americans. I have attended meetings run by Natives about problems on the reservation and I do know what I am talking about. As someone who volunteers in schools working with kids in math and science, I can tell you that many of them don't really care but that there are a lot of people out there making in roads. What are you doing? Maybe you should volunteer your time to help out some of these kids, I love it. And this is what I meant to post earlier:

And North high school may have a few students that come from middle class and upper middle class families, but in order to be ranked as a top high school, the ENTIRE student body must be performing to high academic standards...even the poor. North H.S. is in the Phoenix Union High School District and doesn't magically get more money than other schools; the district is all funded by the same source...so North is funded just like Maryvale, Central, Alhambra, Carl Hayden because they are in the same district. All these schools are in the same district:
Many of these schools are excelling and all are preforming well above or above the national average.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area