U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2019, 03:20 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
25,409 posts, read 9,886,726 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ Manager View Post
You think a city of 1.6million in a metro of 4.7 million should be it's own county? Not that Maricopa county provides the cities within it with much of any services, the county basically exist to police Sun City (not an incorporated city) and the other, smaller, county islands.
Denver and San Francisco are their own counties despite being 600k in a 2 million metro and 900k in a 9 million metro(with the whole 9 county Bay Area CSA), and recently, a Denver suburb of Broomfield became it's own county, because it was previously split between Boulder and Adams counties and wasn't getting good service from either one
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2019, 05:00 PM

7,823 posts, read 5,224,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
Denver and San Francisco are their own counties despite being 600k in a 2 million metro and 900k in a 9 million metro(with the whole 9 county Bay Area CSA), and recently, a Denver suburb of Broomfield became it's own county, because it was previously split between Boulder and Adams counties and wasn't getting good service from either one
But don't we have the opposite problem? Phoenix is a large player in a large county unlike Denver or San Francisco, which were split into multiple counties?

Old 04-26-2019, 09:58 PM

1,673 posts, read 3,812,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by new2colo View Post
What is happening with Phoenix Mart, Dreamport Village, or the high performance race track that were all supposed to come to Pinal? It seems like developers have a pretty apparent track record of over promising and not delivering. What about other major employers? I have a feeling Pinal will just continue adding people left and right because housing prices are significantly cheaper there than in most of urban and suburban Maricopa County. Most of these people will just pour onto the 10 daily to make the drive to the immediate Phoenix area for work and entertainment.

Maricopa County was adding an average of around 100,000 people per year leading up to 2008. We are still adding between 80k-90k. Funding for ADOT is also way down from where it was before the recession. This may look like a repeat of the early and middle part of last decade, but it’s not.
Sorry about not seeing this earlier.

SO, I ll give an update on the "big 5" as we call them here in a moment. But, these types of big projects are often hyped and then not delivered on - everywhere - not just in Pinal. Especially with the boom/bust cycle here in AZ.

Also, these kinds of projects are often chicken/egg type events. To get the investment they need to announce and get local government zoning approval, incentives in place, etc. - and then go after the money. Of course the cities would rather not spin wheels going through a lot of rezoning and incentive approval until the money is in hand - but that's how this game is played. Look at Foxconn in Wisconsin.

But here are the updates you asked for:

1. Phoenixmart - the oldest of the projects - first announced in 2011 and was to be financed using the EB-5 investment program which ran into some problems (NOT just PM but the entire program). Since then it has been a lot of ups and downs and the building shell was half completed and no work has been done in about 18 months while they have been trying to line up more traditional financing. While the developers ARE still around, and the project has a faint pulse - not sure what will happen with this one. If it ever does come to fruition it is supposed to generate 5000+ jobs.

2. Dreamport Villages Amusement Park - while more alive than Phoenixmart (mostly because it is more recently announced less than 2 years ago), it is also looking for financing. The city has approved all the zoning etc. , and just recently the developer was quoted on ABC15 as saying the financing should come "any day" - but that was a couple of months ago, and that is what we are hearing in town also. We ll see. Same here, if it happens will be about 5000 permanent jobs and 14K construction.

3. Atessa Motorsports (Formula One Racetrack Complex) - Actually this one I am pretty confident WILL eventually happen. This land is currently in the unincorporated area of Pinal County, and while it will likely end up in the city of Casa Grande, the developers had a lengthy entitlement and zoning process to go through. That has now been completed and they have submitted plans for the initial phase (a private track complex) for approval and hope to break ground in late summer. The hope is that getting STARTED will show proof of concept to the investment they will need to do the big project. This will actually be a huge econ impact -but mostly in construction jobs to begin with and then indirect jobs after that.

4. Nikola Motors - Coolidge Electric Fuel Cell Semi Truck and other vehicle manufacturer. Also reasonably good chance of success. They have 300 million or so in the bank already, are about to move into their new HQ near Sky Harbor, have 100+ employees now, and 300 at HQ by years end. They have just closed on their land in Coolidge, and did a big "Nikola World" event in Westworld about 2 weeks ago. They have 13,000 pre-orders for their trucks including 800 from Budweiser. Hope is to break ground on the factory later this year and have trucks off the line in 2022. 2000 jobs at the factory direct and another 2000 indirect.

5. Lucid Motors - Electric Car Manufacturer. This one is very close to reality with a groundbreaking hopefully in June. They rec'd 1 Billion in investment last fall, the agreements with the city/county were finalized by December, they have been working on the design documents etc., have acquired some temporary office space in CG until the factory is built, and are already listing jobs for the CG location - good jobs like "Dimensional Control Engineer" etc. They also just announced the CTO has been promoted to CEO, and they are taking some students from our Central Arizona College vocational program in manufacturing NOW up to their Bay area HQ to train for the next year or so and then return to help open the factory here. So this one is pretty dang close and they hope to have cars out of the factory by the end of 2020 - maybe still a bit lofty - but probably close. 2000 direct and 2000 indirect jobs.

There are a couple of other large projects where land is being acquired now etc. but are not announced. Houses are being built at a fast clip here again, and we even had some real out of town interest asking about redevelopment possibilities in the downtown Casa Grande area.

My understanding is the other entities in the county are also working some things, but I am much more familiar with CG.

Hope that helps.

Old 04-26-2019, 11:35 PM

3,002 posts, read 3,059,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sh9730 View Post
This is a bit simplistic don't you think?

The county provides jail, court, voting, air quality, and dozens of other countywide functions....

Could each city provide these on their own, or transfer them to the state? Yes. But the county does more than provide unincorporated area police services.
Phoenix county would better serve the city than having one large county serving all the suburbs, unincorporated municipals and such. With that said, include Tempe in the new county and annex the areas southwest of Phoenix by Laveen Village.

Maricopa county can be desolved and split into Mesa county serving Gilbert, Queen Creek, Chandler and Scottsdale. Glendale county would be the other half which includes Avondale, Surprise, Peoria, El Mirage, Goodyear and Buckeye. The southern part of Maricopa county should split and become Sonora county based off the national monument.

Old 04-27-2019, 09:21 AM

7,823 posts, read 5,224,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hschlick84 View Post
Phoenix county would better serve the city than having one large county serving all the suburbs, unincorporated municipals and such. With that said, include Tempe in the new county and annex the areas southwest of Phoenix by Laveen Village.

Maricopa county can be desolved and split into Mesa county serving Gilbert, Queen Creek, Chandler and Scottsdale. Glendale county would be the other half which includes Avondale, Surprise, Peoria, El Mirage, Goodyear and Buckeye. The southern part of Maricopa county should split and become Sonora county based off the national monument.
It just seems like a solution in search of a problem. At least in my experience, Maricopa County is pretty competent as is. Unless you can help me understand why this would help anything?

Old 04-27-2019, 10:11 AM

3,002 posts, read 3,059,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMotorsport64 View Post
It just seems like a solution in search of a problem. At least in my experience, Maricopa County is pretty competent as is. Unless you can help me understand why this would help anything?
Not necessarily. City-county merging better unifies an area, expands economic opportunity in neglected areas, enables a stronger community minded local government and less clashing political jurisdiction. People who live in central Phoenix have different views and lifestyles compared to somebody who lives in Buckeye or Cave Creek. This article is a good example, St Louis is doing something similar. Basically, it makes government more efficient.

https://www.citylab.com/equity/2019/...e-2020/579436/

https://www.governing.com/columns/pu...olidation.html

Old 04-27-2019, 10:23 AM

4,314 posts, read 2,537,370 times
Me living in Ca I'm the last person to tout high speed rail but I have to wonder why Az dosn't build one between Tucson and Phx? I think it would pump some life and increase property values in Tucson. Am I wrong??

Old 04-27-2019, 01:31 PM

6,753 posts, read 9,861,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hschlick84 View Post

I agree 100%. Counties with large land masses are mostly found in rural, sparsely populated areas. Maricopa County needs to be split up, mainly because it's so big in both population & area that it has become a giant bureaucracy. I would much rather have smaller counties with smaller government ... just as I'd rather have cities like Phoenix reduced in land size. That way, suburban sections like Ahwatukee, Deer Valley, and Paradise Valley Village could become their own communities, thus reducing the size of city government. As you correctly stated: it makes government more efficient.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finper View Post
Me living in Ca I'm the last person to tout high speed rail but I have to wonder why Az dosn't build one between Tucson and Phx? I think it would pump some life and increase property values in Tucson. Am I wrong??
Well, has light rail increased property values in the Phoenix area? No. Has the streetcar increased property values in Tucson? No. There's your answer about high speed rail.

Old 04-27-2019, 01:36 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
25,409 posts, read 9,886,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
I agree 100%. Counties with large land masses are mostly found in rural, sparsely populated areas. Maricopa County needs to be split up, mainly because it's so big in both population & area that it has become a giant bureaucracy. I would much rather have smaller counties with smaller government ... just as I'd rather have cities like Phoenix reduced in land size. That way, suburban sections like Ahwatukee, Deer Valley, and Paradise Valley Village could become their own communities, thus reducing the size of city government. As you correctly stated: it makes government more efficient.

Well, has light rail increased property values in the Phoenix area? No. Has the streetcar increased property values in Tucson? No. There's your answer about high speed rail.
This is false, land values along the light rail here have risen much faster relative to everywhere else in the valley. Don't know where you got that from

Old 04-27-2019, 01:42 PM

6,753 posts, read 9,861,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
This is false, land values along the light rail here have risen much faster relative to everywhere else in the valley. Don't know where you got that from
So land values along west Camelback and 19th Avenue have risen sharply? How about along the highly industrial Washington/Jefferson corridor where lots of old run down structures are still in place? If light rail actually spurs new development as many proponents have claimed, then I could see how values could rise ... however, there has been little evidence to support this claim based on how many areas along the light rail route haven't seen much in the way of new development in decades.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area