U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Thanksgiving Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2019, 02:27 PM

22,301 posts, read 8,844,471 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dothetwist View Post
Thanks to all....I am googling these neighborhood names, mapping them, etc. Oh...I am now guessing that Scottsdale is a separate city than PHX. On paper, Old Town Scottsdale looks good, too.
Scottsdale is a separate city, correct
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2019, 02:43 PM

2,110 posts, read 4,337,661 times
Quote:
Thanks to all....I am googling these neighborhood names, mapping them, etc. Oh...I am now guessing that Scottsdale is a separate city than PHX. On paper, Old Town Scottsdale looks good, too.
Yes, Scottsdale is a separate city. I would recommend Scottsdale, but your choices will be limited by $400k. Villa Monterrey is one Scottsdale neighborhood that might be doable. Scottsdale Estates is another. If you are interested in Scottsdale look in 85251 and 85250 zipcodes.

Old 05-22-2019, 05:41 AM

350 posts, read 471,886 times
Quote:
We are contemplating a home purchase in PHX. We are familiar with Tucson (and really love the funkier parts of town), but not very familiar with PHX. However, right now PHX is more desirable for us due to airport connections.

We are retired and want a single family home within walking distance (0.6 mile or less) of at least a handful of (preferably) non-chain restaurants AND within a 35 minute drive of Sky Harbor, non-rush.

Expect we will spend a week+ there this fall for a reconnaissance mission and would like to soon book a vacation rental in a neighborhood that ticks our boxes.

Besides Old Town Scottsdale, any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.
We moved from the Tampa Bay Area to Midtown Phoenix a year ago. We love it here. Somewhat of an urban lifestyle, walkable to some restaurants in the area. The light rail is across the street from our condo. I take it to work and it’s a 20 minute ride. It’s also the same stop as the airport. When flying in and out no worries about parking your car when you could take the light rail home.
I don’t know if you’re looking for a single family home or a condo. Midtown has both. Willo historic neighborhood has nice homes in your price range which is also walkable to the light rail.
I see you’re from Gulfport/St Pete area. Perhaps we bumped into each other at Salty’s, O’Maddys or Pia’s. We lived in Apollo Beach but had friends who lived in Gulfport. It was my favorite town in the area.
Let me know if you have any other questions about the area. Good luck!

Old 05-22-2019, 06:10 AM

7,151 posts, read 3,922,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markeg View Post
We moved from the Tampa Bay Area to Midtown Phoenix a year ago. We love it here. Somewhat of an urban lifestyle, walkable to some restaurants in the area. The light rail is across the street from our condo. I take it to work and it’s a 20 minute ride. It’s also the same stop as the airport. When flying in and out no worries about parking your car when you could take the light rail home.
I don’t know if you’re looking for a single family home or a condo. Midtown has both. Willo historic neighborhood has nice homes in your price range which is also walkable to the light rail.
I see you’re from Gulfport/St Pete area. Perhaps we bumped into each other at Salty’s, O’Maddys or Pia’s. We lived in Apollo Beach but had friends who lived in Gulfport. It was my favorite town in the area.
Let me know if you have any other questions about the area. Good luck!
We eat at Pia's 2x a week when we are in Gulfport. It's a 7 minute walk for us!

We are looking for a SFH.

We hadn't considered the Light Rail as a factor, but maybe we should as it could widen our search. Walking to a station and riding to an eatery would satisfy our walkability requirement.

We plan to list our Gulfport home (with heavy hearts) this winter, but want to visit PHX area this fall so we know where we want to buy.

We currently "commute" between our house here in Central Mexico and our Gulfport home every few months; there are no non-stops to TPA, but there are to PHX. That is the reason for our relocation.

BTW, we owned a home in Bisbee for 10 years.

Old 05-22-2019, 06:33 AM

350 posts, read 471,886 times
Quote:
We eat at Pia's 2x a week when we are in Gulfport. It's a 7 minute walk for us!

We are looking for a SFH.

We hadn't considered the Light Rail as a factor, but maybe we should as it could widen our search. Walking to a station and riding to an eatery would satisfy our walkability requirement.

We plan to list our Gulfport home (with heavy hearts) this winter, but want to visit PHX area this fall so we know where we want to buy.

We currently "commute" between our house here in Central Mexico and our Gulfport home every few months; there are no non-stops to TPA, but there are to PHX. That is the reason for our relocation.

BTW, we owned a home in Bisbee for 10 years.
I liked Gulfport more than Apollo Beach where I lived. We tried to make it there on the weekends whenever possible. It was just so nice hanging out having a cocktail on a Sunday afternoon by the beach. I lived in Apollo Beach for 4 years, and am originally from NYC. I get the idea from the places you live and have lived, you would enjoy living in Midtown.

In Phoenix, we are able to walk to the Phoenix Theatre, Art Museum, restaurants, and coffee shops. The light rail makes it very convenient for traveling downtown. The Talking Stick Arena, Convention Center, more theatres and restaurants are downtown. You will absolutely still need a car, but we have lightened the load to a 1 car family since I commute via light rail to work and my company pays for it.
You will never run out of restaurants in the area. I am still finding new ones almost every weekend.
If you look on Zillow, do a search for Encanto. You should find some homes in your price range.

Old 05-22-2019, 06:55 AM

3,325 posts, read 7,453,651 times
Will throw in another vote for the Coronado neighborhood. Lived there for 3 years and loved it. It's a bit weird and at times drama filled (the neighborhood has a very active FB message board and you will see a long thread of people arguing over something minor). But within walking distance to shops & restaurants. Getting popular among the tech crowd that still has to commute to California 1-2 times a month for work. I met a number of people that relocated from the Bay area or LA who chose Coronado due to its proximity to the airport.

Old 05-22-2019, 11:11 AM

1,197 posts, read 1,562,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
There are almost too many to name off the top of your head, but one's I know and like are Coronado, Roosevelt, Garfield, Encanto-Palmcroft, Willo, North Encanto, FQ Story, Campus Vista, Villa Verde, Ashland Place, Alvarado, Cheery Lynn, Country Club Place, Fairview Place, Windsor Place, Pierson Place and Medlock Place.

I personally think Oakland Historic District is going to be the next Coronado, but it's still a bit rough around the edges at the time being
No offense but Garfield is a crime infested over-priced crap hole. I am on the Garfield facebook page and it reads like a crime report, all the while prices in Garfield are approaching Coronado levels. I have several friends that live there and I hang out there once in a while. I wouldn't advise anyone to move to Garfield. Much better options out there.

Old 05-22-2019, 03:37 PM

2,410 posts, read 5,070,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kytoaz View Post
No offense but Garfield is a crime infested over-priced crap hole. I am on the Garfield facebook page and it reads like a crime report, all the while prices in Garfield are approaching Coronado levels. I have several friends that live there and I hang out there once in a while. I wouldn't advise anyone to move to Garfield. Much better options out there.
Good info. Thanks for posting. What other options do you suggest (for a walkable, city neighborhood)?

Old 05-22-2019, 04:06 PM

22,301 posts, read 8,844,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kytoaz View Post
I walk through Garfield quite a bit, as I live just south of it in Eastlake Park, and I'm not scared a bit

Old 05-22-2019, 04:33 PM

7,712 posts, read 13,413,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
I walk through Garfield quite a bit, as I live just south of it in Eastlake Park, and I'm not scared a bit
Shhhhhh, I don’t want lines at Welcome Diner and Gallo Blanco. It’s very dangerous around there!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or