Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2008, 09:14 AM

1,818 posts, read 1,528,528 times

Advertisements

A huge colony of bees set up in a neighbors tree but they only stayed one night and then moved on - which is exactly what the "bee officials" said probably would happen. I cannot remember exactly who they called)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2008, 11:15 AM

39,077 posts, read 51,218,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingSomewhere5 View Post
How funny that this topic is here, I'm moving to Phoenix in August and was just wondering if they have a lot of bees there. I'm from Southern California and have probably been stung >20 times and I've had bees fly into my car so much that I pretty much don't open my windows without fear. I am not allergic, but I am really afraid of bees. Are there a lot of bees in Arizona, Phoenix in particular? I'm not sure if they like/dislike the dryness or anything, I hope they hate it!
Lots of bees here. The bees have been having a tough time lately with their hives dying off, but they seem to be back in huge numbers this year in my little corner of the universe so that is good. We need bees. We have a big Mesquite tree and there are zillions of them in it when the flowers come out. I can hear the buzz from quite a distance. None of us has been stung by one. I think they are pretty docile unless defending a hive - African or otherwise. You don't have to worry about one flying in your open car window here. It's too hot for open car windows by the time the bees get active.

Old 04-14-2008, 11:28 AM

3,632 posts, read 16,164,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
You might want to tell your work to keep the landscapers away until they remove the swarm, seriously. Things like weedeaters, lawnmowers, etc, aggrevate Africanized bees, causing attacks, etc. Heck, even motorcycle engines have been known to aggrevate swarms.
Thanks for the warning. Haha, we don't have a landscaper - that would be my BF and he goes out there when he really has to.

Old 04-14-2008, 09:44 PM

682 posts, read 2,566,385 times
Have there been reports of people being attacked in their pools? I have read that the swarm will wait for a person over the pool, so diving in and holding one's breath is a waste of time and energy.

altus2006

Old 04-14-2008, 09:46 PM

38 posts, read 135,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by altus2006 View Post
Have there been reports of people being attacked in their pools? I have read that the swarm will wait for a person over the pool, so diving in and holding one's breath is a waste of time and energy.

altus2006
Oh holy @*#&. That sounds like an urban legend to me, even if it's true, I choose not to recognize it because it scares me

Old 04-22-2008, 06:43 PM

5,610 posts, read 23,306,923 times
Default It can happen to you too!

Wow, this is great! I come home just an hour ago and there's a swarm of bees right in front of my 2nd story bedroom apartment window, with a hive hanging down from the roof overhang. I can even hear the buzzing and tapping against the window even with the windows shut due to the paper thin walls and single-pane windows. I called the apartment management and it looks like they won't even do anything until tomorrow. Is it true that bees go inactive at night? I'll admit, I'm a little freaked out.

Old 04-22-2008, 07:56 PM

682 posts, read 2,566,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegaspilgrim View Post
Wow, this is great! I come home just an hour ago and there's a swarm of bees right in front of my 2nd story bedroom apartment window, with a hive hanging down from the roof overhang. I can even hear the buzzing and tapping against the window even with the windows shut due to the paper thin walls and single-pane windows. I called the apartment management and it looks like they won't even do anything until tomorrow. Is it true that bees go inactive at night? I'll admit, I'm a little freaked out.
You probably shouldn't sleep with your windows open tonight. I would be freaked out too.

altus2006

Old 04-22-2008, 09:22 PM

3,886 posts, read 10,079,659 times
Default Did you hear?

Did you hear about those two ladies and their dog getting attacked in Phoenix?The bee's killed someone, I hope and think it was the dog? Sent the other two to the hospital. They were walking there dog.
You know, I never worry about this happening to me, should I? Da da daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!:confuse d:
Did anyone else happen to catch the story, I might be wrong on some of the details.

Old 04-22-2008, 09:35 PM

5,610 posts, read 23,306,923 times
To answer my own question, the bees out there seem to have gone "asleep" now that it's dark out. Fortunately, the exterminator is coming tomorrow morning. They're saying they might have to go into the attic too to check if bees got in there. I'm curious, how often/rare do these urban behives occur?

Old 04-22-2008, 09:49 PM

3,886 posts, read 10,079,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegaspilgrim View Post
To answer my own question, the bees out there seem to have gone "asleep" now that it's dark out. Fortunately, the exterminator is coming tomorrow morning. They're saying they might have to go into the attic too to check if bees got in there. I'm curious, how often/rare do these urban behives occur?
Yes, they do snooze at night. And I have only had 2 bee issues in the last 15 yrs. different houses. Oh, and one swarm I witnessed in the neighbors yard, about 2 or 3000, it was a sight. They left after about an hour.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area