Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2019, 05:59 PM

2,772 posts, read 5,721,575 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey73 View Post
[mod cut - deleted post, discussing moderation]

That's why CAIR got involved, to bring the peace.

Last edited by VTsnowbird; 06-30-2019 at 07:07 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2019, 06:29 PM

8,943 posts, read 11,773,391 times
Police groupies make all kind of excuses for thug police behavior. He robbed a bank; he deserves harsh treatment from the police. He hurt a child; he deserves to be beaten by the police. The police's job is to take criminals to jail and the court decides punishments. Street justice should not be a part of policing.

Last edited by VTsnowbird; 07-03-2019 at 04:38 AM.. Reason: remove derogatory term

Old 06-30-2019, 11:21 PM

8,042 posts, read 12,252,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey73 View Post
Clearly you haven't read any of the follow up on this story. The parents used the child to steal. They had an occupant in the car who had a warrant out for a previous crime. The driver of the car and father of the child refused police efforts to stop him and as we found out later had previous run ins with Tempe police. Paying millions in lawsuits only encourages bad behavior and undermines the police.
I actually heard that the parents put the girl up to stealing, but I wasn't sure how true it was. The fact of the matter is: what we saw all over local & national news was cell phone video, which doesn't tell the entire story. It only shows a white cop roughing up a black man, which automatically triggered the "racist" cries among certain ones. I wouldn't be surprised at all if he did put the little girl up to stealing. Unfortunately, that's typical of too many parents these days: the attitude that they're entitled to anything they want just because they had sex and popped out a kid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidt1 View Post
Police groupies make all kind of excuses for thug police behavior. He robbed a bank; he deserves harsh treatment from the police. He hurt a child; he deserves to be beaten by the police. The police's job is to take criminals to jail and the court decides punishments. Street justice should not be a part of policing.
Oh? And what if the criminal doesn't cooperate with police? Too many times when a cop tells somebody to drop the weapon, freeze, or put his hands up, those orders are not followed. So what do you expect the police to do in those cases? Let the suspects run away, drive off, or pull the trigger? Funny how you express hatred toward "thug pig behavior", but didn't express any kind of hatred toward the REAL thugs who steal, assault, rape, murder, among many other things!

Last edited by VTsnowbird; 07-03-2019 at 04:38 AM..

Old 07-01-2019, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
I actually heard that the parents put the girl up to stealing, but I wasn't sure how true it was. The fact of the matter is: what we saw all over local & national news was cell phone video, which doesn't tell the entire story. It only shows a white cop roughing up a black man, which automatically triggered the "racist" cries among certain ones. I wouldn't be surprised at all if he did put the little girl up to stealing. Unfortunately, that's typical of too many parents these days: the attitude that they're entitled to anything they want just because they had sex and popped out a kid.

Oh? And what if the criminal doesn't cooperate with police? Too many times when a cop tells somebody to drop the weapon, freeze, or put his hands up, those orders are not followed. So what do you expect the police to do in those cases? Let the suspects run away, drive off, or pull the trigger? Funny how you express hatred toward "thug pig behavior", but didn't express any kind of hatred toward the REAL thugs who steal, assault, rape, murder, among many other things!

Ask nicely? Maybe shoot some hoops? Pose for pics? Sing songs?

Old 07-01-2019, 11:01 PM

494 posts, read 500,797 times
Quote:
When crimes are being committed, the perpetrators (regardless of age, gender, or race) deserve rough treatment, especially if they don't cooperate with officers. The way today's society is, criminals are being coddled way too much, and police officers are painted as the thugs.
Cops should not act like judges and must use no more force than necessary to make an arrest and protect the general public. Sometimes using adequate force to restrain a suspect can be uncomfortable. Cops must also stay as calm as possible. There's never any reason for a police office to speak disparagingly to a suspect. I'm not anti-cop, but bad-acting cops should be fired. These cops acted badly. They must be held to higher standard given the power granted to them by the public.

The shoplifters didn't cooperate, ran from the police twice and should receive adequate punishment when found guilty (jail+fines+community service). I'm okay with them risking their lives; however, they risked the life of their child and probably should lose, at least temporarily, custody of their child.

Old 07-01-2019, 11:27 PM

8,042 posts, read 12,252,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrick85395 View Post
Cops should not act like judges and must use no more force than necessary to make an arrest and protect the general public. Sometimes using adequate force to restrain a suspect can be uncomfortable. Cops must also stay as calm as possible. There's never any reason for a police office to speak disparagingly to a suspect. I'm not anti-cop, but bad-acting cops should be fired. These cops acted badly. They must be held to higher standard given the power granted to them by the public.

The shoplifters didn't cooperate, ran from the police twice and should receive adequate punishment when found guilty (jail+fines+community service). I'm okay with them risking their lives; however, they risked the life of their child and probably should lose, at least temporarily, custody of their child.
I can go along with most of this, but how do you think a police officer should react when a suspect speaks disparagingly to him/her? I understand the concept about "don't lower yourself to their level", but when a suspect becomes threatening & belligerent, I wouldn't expect anybody to just stand there and take it ... especially if the suspect becomes not only uncooperative but physically violent.

What really irritates me is these lawsuits that are being started by the criminals and their lawyers. It would be different if a cop was harassing, aggressive, and violent to somebody for no reason at all & no crime was committed. In both cases, the suspects broke the law, and were completely uncooperative. In the second case, the burglar was shot by police because they saw him pointing a gun. I ask again: what is the difference between an employee shooting the suspect and a cop shooting him? No difference at all the way I see it. Anybody who unlawfully enters somebody's home or place of business for the intention of criminal activity automatically puts his life at risk, and deserves what he gets.

Old 07-02-2019, 01:10 AM

Quote:
I can go along with most of this, but how do you think a police officer should react when a suspect speaks disparagingly to him/her? I understand the concept about "don't lower yourself to their level", but when a suspect becomes threatening & belligerent, I wouldn't expect anybody to just stand there and take it ... especially if the suspect becomes not only uncooperative but physically violent.

What really irritates me is these lawsuits that are being started by the criminals and their lawyers. It would be different if a cop was harassing, aggressive, and violent to somebody for no reason at all & no crime was committed. In both cases, the suspects broke the law, and were completely uncooperative. In the second case, the burglar was shot by police because they saw him pointing a gun. I ask again: what is the difference between an employee shooting the suspect and a cop shooting him? No difference at all the way I see it. Anybody who unlawfully enters somebody's home or place of business for the intention of criminal activity automatically puts his life at risk, and deserves what he gets.

Absolutely the lawyers suc# but what's worse is these people will be used by them and the self appointed community 'leaders' who will discard these people as soon as their usefulness has expired. Those are the people who have little interest in harmony because then they'd lose their chance at self promotion.

Old 07-02-2019, 04:01 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,391,186 times
Quote:
I would think so, and most children also learn at preschool age that stealing is wrong. In the first case, I blame the so called parents. Instead of doing the right thing and making the girl go back to the store & return the stolen doll, the parents tried to hide it and then made it seem they were the victims. In the second case, the 19 year old was robbing a fast food restaurant. Regardless if pointed a gun at officers, he was still committing a crime & was a danger to the public. He got what he deserved.

Shot twice in the back. He was not alone in this crime, either.

Same thing happened with the young boy in Tempe. He should NOT be dead over what he did.

We have many great police officers in the Valley, but some do make mistakes. Big ones sometimes. In the shoplift incident, there was NO reason for that officer to go off like that over a dollar shoplift. Looking at the whole context of the situation, his actions were inappropriate. Fortunately, the officer didn't carry out his threats. More training, better screening are necessary. As for the lawsuits, they have the right to sue. The politics involved in the shoplift case are unfortunate, but in the present climate, I have to say that if that family were white, the officers would have reacted differently. JMO.

Old 07-02-2019, 08:39 PM

2,774 posts, read 901,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
Shot twice in the back. He was not alone in this crime, either.

Same thing happened with the young boy in Tempe. He should NOT be dead over what he did.

We have many great police officers in the Valley, but some do make mistakes. Big ones sometimes. In the shoplift incident, there was NO reason for that officer to go off like that over a dollar shoplift. Looking at the whole context of the situation, his actions were inappropriate. Fortunately, the officer didn't carry out his threats. More training, better screening are necessary. As for the lawsuits, they have the right to sue. The politics involved in the shoplift case are unfortunate, but in the present climate, I have to say that if that family were white, the officers would have reacted differently. JMO.
Have you ever personally been a cop in pursuit of a suspect with a gun who just committed a crime? If so, I might consider your point of view. If not, you have no idea what kind of split second decisions these cops have to make, often decisions that leave them in a damned if he does and damned if he doesn't situation.

Old 07-02-2019, 08:57 PM

551 posts, read 692,739 times
Stupid games win stupid prizes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area