Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2008, 07:31 PM

11,523 posts, read 14,646,108 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by megh View Post
Well... Elmonellie... to answer your question:

I try to refrain from stereotyping people. I try my doggone darnest to get along with everyone but I also don't compromise my own values and beliefs to do so. I'm sure I will inadvertantly offend you with my list of "tipoffs". The Overbearing conservative lifestyle I speak of, usually includes things like church being the center of everyone's life, so much so that its one of the first questions people ask you when getting to know you and can then be used as a means of social exclusion if not answered correctly, fox news played regularly in the household, no concern for environmental issues because people choose to believe its a politic / party issue not a human/ global issue, continued respect and support for the current administration. I have a few others.. but these tend to be the biggest tip offs and the most blantent, because at the point that we know all the above about each other, there is little left to be said.

So.. that's how I would defind overbearing conservative lifestyle and I truely did not intend to offend, only to answer honestly.
When I lived in Florida, everyone would ask me what church I went to. I thought I might be living in some parallel universe from where I came from. Here in Arizona, I don't find that at all. As far as the current Bush adm. I feel there are 50/50 here who tolerate him (repub.) and despise him (the rest). I find Arizona very much a live and let live state, overall.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2008, 07:31 PM

2,137 posts, read 3,858,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by megh View Post
Well... Elmonellie... to answer your question:

I try to refrain from stereotyping people. I try my doggone darnest to get along with everyone but I also don't compromise my own values and beliefs to do so. I'm sure I will inadvertantly offend you with my list of "tipoffs". The Overbearing conservative lifestyle I speak of, usually includes things like church being the center of everyone's life, so much so that its one of the first questions people ask you when getting to know you and can then be used as a means of social exclusion if not answered correctly, fox news played regularly in the household, no concern for environmental issues because people choose to believe its a politic / party issue not a human/ global issue, continued respect and support for the current administration. I have a few others.. but these tend to be the biggest tip offs and the most blantent, because at the point that we know all the above about each other, there is little left to be said.

So.. that's how I would defind overbearing conservative lifestyle and I truely did not intend to offend, only to answer honestly.
Thanks for the answer.

Old 08-26-2008, 09:33 AM

824 posts, read 2,335,408 times
Quote:
"Somewhere I wouldn't see "W" stickers more than necessary."

Your guilty conscience may force you to vote Democratic, but deep down inside you secretly long for a cold-hearted Republican to lower taxes, brutalize criminals, and rule you like a king.

As has been said, university environments tend to attract a liberal contingent, so Tempe or adjacent areas with many residents who are student-faculty.

Old 08-26-2008, 10:23 AM

228 posts, read 594,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
At least in Arizona, many Republicans still hold onto the beliefs Barry Goldwater spoke of: fiscal restraint, individual liberties, and less government interference. On the other hand, we're far from east coast tax & spend liberalsim too ... which I'm sure most of us prefer!
Amen to that. I would consider myself a classic Reagan conservative- I lean conservatively on the above issues, and really could care less about social issues. I'm not religious myself, and don't care at all for people who try to project their beliefs onto others and pass judgements based on their feelings of moral superiority. But when it comes to the issues of fiscal responsibility, individualism, and government restraint, I tend to vote conservatively. I don't feel that I or anyone else needs more government in our lives in order to be more successful and happy. And I think there's a large contingent of people in this country who do believe that, something I vehemently disagree with. And I think that probably makes me pretty similar to most other "Republicans" in Phoenix.

And that would also make me the sort of individual who poses the biggest problem for Democrats- the type of person who probably would vote Democratic, if I voted based purely on emotional or social issues. But I don't. I vote based on practical ones- the ones that affect me personally the most.

Old 08-26-2008, 05:03 PM

64 posts, read 185,756 times
[quote=borborygmi;5001817And that would also make me the sort of individual who poses the biggest problem for Democrats- the type of person who probably would vote Democratic, if I voted based purely on emotional or social issues. But I don't. I vote based on practical ones- the ones that affect me personally the most.[/quote]

I know I'm getting way off topic regarding the O.P. but I just have such a hard time with this mind set. I don't understand how the issues can be separated. People who vote Republican based entirely on 'small government' & 'fiscally conservative' ideals are carelessly electing people who want to take away and / or restrict our civil liberties, who want to blur the lines between church and state, etc AND STILL DON'T deliver on the issues for which you elected them. Most republicans I know only want to talk about taxes when they are debating politics with a Dem. I don't know anyone that WANTS to pay more taxes or have more of their hard earned money taken from them, but my problem is that with the Republicans, they are always coming up with useless and un-beneficial ways of spending our tax dollars. (I honestly have more right to talk about taxes than most people because I am a mostly-commissioned employee who is in a fairly high tax bracket! Don't talk to me about paying a lot in taxes!! I have the returns to prove it). Republicans say that Dems just want to throw money away on social programs, however it was CLINTON who reformed the welfare system so that individuals were less able to take advantage of it and therefore our tax dollars were more likely to go toward people who really needed and who were working hard to better themselves. It's hard for me to ignore the direct link between the abscence of social programs and the increase in crime which, in the end, does not benefit anyone. I happen to believe that it's not a matter of IF we will spend tax dollars on the poor and undereducated, its a matter of WHEN - before or after they turn to crime. We can spend money on social programs that promote education and help lift people out of bad situations OR we can spend tax dollars on public defense and giving them 3 square meals a day after they've truely become a burden on society. So, again... how are tax dollars and social programs NOT linked and how can they NOT effect all of us?
Joe Arpaio is perfect local example of a Republican that has no idea what fiscal responsibility is. He is out there spending our hard earned tax money to conduct city wide raids and round up illegal immigrants who, for the most part, are not doing anything wrong or are being caught on very minor misdemeanors like possession of marijuana. Why are my tax dollars not being spent on round up meth users and busting meth labs? These are the people that pose the biggest threat from a drug standpoint. Not the poor guy that's here illegally (probably building your house or maintaining your lawn) just trying to earn a dollar to send for his family.

All the issues are interconnected and I just don't think that you can vote responsibly if you haven't taken the time to understand how its all linked.

Old 08-26-2008, 05:16 PM

39,073 posts, read 51,199,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix lady View Post
When I lived in Florida, everyone would ask me what church I went to. I thought I might be living in some parallel universe from where I came from. Here in Arizona, I don't find that at all. As far as the current Bush adm. I feel there are 50/50 here who tolerate him (repub.) and despise him (the rest). I find Arizona very much a live and let live state, overall.
Yeah, in all my years here I have yet to hear anyone even mention church in casual conversation much less ask where one attends. I don't think anybody even goes to church here. I am surprised that FL is that bible belt with all the Northeasterners that have moved there.

Old 08-27-2008, 08:21 AM

It is less bible belt than the true south, but it's still there, esp. in rural areas, but really all over, I found anyways. Fort Lauderdale was the only city I liked in Florida.

Old 08-27-2008, 05:48 PM

172 posts, read 298,436 times
Yeah..."I'm a typical white person that clings to his bible and guns" while driving around in my big ole' Hummer sporting a Obama Sucks bumper sticker. So don't come up to North Phoenix we might rope you and yer family and force you to sit in Church on Sunday and make you shoot guns with our family on Saturday.

Old 08-27-2008, 05:54 PM

172 posts, read 298,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frogandtoad View Post
Are there parts of Phoenix which are more or less conservative? Are there parts of town which lean Democrat, etc? Particularly interested in areas like this which are family-oriented (rather than young singles). Somewhere I wouldn't see "W" stickers more than necessary. How about Cave Creek area? Or is everyone just mixed together politically for the most part?

Try here Only In San Francisco - The Official Visitors Site for San Francisco

You won't see many "W" stickers and your family can take in the liberal way of life

Old 08-28-2008, 08:58 AM

I never could figure out what the bible and guns had in common, except Charleston Heston and his gun collection. Did Moses carry around a gun? Or did Jesus? Or the saints? Well, of course not, but would they have??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area