Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2019, 11:01 AM

189 posts, read 230,590 times

Advertisements

See below...

Quote:
Originally Posted by KurtAZ View Post
Well...again...that is the "DT IS AWESOME" ilk's perspective. I don't see where DT "hits his criteria more than others". We are not talking about suggesting DT Gilbert or Chandler here. The only plus is Pro Sports.

1. I prefer to live in an area of PHX close to bars, sporting events, nightlife, etc

Both DT and OT provide this. Pro sports more so in DT but OT/Scottsdale area has a lot of Spring Training games as well. Again...you don't have to LIVE by the stadium to attend sporting events.

Okay if this is your logic, then the OP should live in Gilbert or Surprise since he can simply drive down to a game every day/week. The point being, proximity to major sporting events is key...add ASU Football/Basketball games as a quick 20 minute light rail ride will get you there

2. How walkable is PHX in general?

Is DT walkable? Plenty of YouTube videos saying it is not...but that again is personal preference of the OP. You'll be walking further between locations and amid ongoing construction. Or taking the light rail. OT is going to be more condensed with available pedicabs, golf carts etc. for transportation as well as plenty of sidewalks. I would argue that walking around OT proper is MUCH more enjoyable than DT but again...personal preference.

Okay argument over because some random YouTube videos says it's true. Outside the Entertainment District, what other areas are walkable in Old Town? Perhaps the area where there is Art Galleries but sounds like the OP isn't into that. Oh I'm sorry but wtf did Phoenix pass a law to ban sidewalks? LOL True walkability still goes to DT Tempe here then DTPHX

3. How is the diversity in the areas I am targeting (demographics, socioeconomics)

Diversity is becoming less of an issue in either places. My brother's friend group in OT is made up of everyone. I think he is the token "white guy". Everyone else is mixed nationalities, African American, Asian Americans etc. Probably the same DT with ASU campus.

Socioeconomic is probably a wash. There are going to be a range from homeless to serious 1%ers. Using my brother's crowd as a for instance...all of them are 30 something professionals or business owners.

4. good gym

Again a wash...most of the newer apartment complexes have extensive gyms as well.

If someone is asking for access to gyms, I'm sure dingy apartment gyms are not at the top of the list

5. Whole Foods or similar grocery store

I think we have already done this but a specific Whole Foods...closer to DT. OT has a Sprouts more readily accessible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2019, 12:10 PM

4,069 posts, read 5,139,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZSunDevil83 View Post
See below...
Thank you for proving my point...everyone has an opinion and the OP is going to need to decide that for themselves.

BTW...I am sure the apartments in DT may have "dingy gyms" but most of the new buildings in OT Scottsdale do not...

Old 09-03-2019, 12:15 PM

9,195 posts, read 16,634,851 times
Quote:
Thank you for proving my point...everyone has an opinion and the OP is going to need to decide that for themselves.

BTW...I am sure the apartments in DT may have "dingy gyms" but most of the new buildings in OT Scottsdale do not...

Why would the new buildings in downtown Phoenix have worse gyms than the new buildings in Old Town? Both have old complexes with crappy or non-existent gyms and new ones with nice gyms. That’s a stupid angle to argue. Either way, I too doubt that the OP is looking for an apartment gym versus a real one.

Old 09-03-2019, 01:28 PM

1,688 posts, read 1,268,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
The same point that several others have made -- that commuting in the valley -- anywhere in the valley -- is something that someone moving here ought to think very carefully about. I have lived places where a 20 mile commute might not be bad, but I've also lived places (including here) where a 20 mile commute would be horrendous. Oh, not if you do it occasionally, but if you do it on an almost daily basis. And I have no hidden agendas such as a real estate agent would.
Yes, my hidden agenda of wanting to help people relocate to Arizona. My profile publicly states I'm an agent. Not hiding anything from anyone. Nice try, though.

Old 09-03-2019, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
Why would the new buildings in downtown Phoenix have worse gyms than the new buildings in Old Town? Both have old complexes with crappy or non-existent gyms and new ones with nice gyms. That’s a stupid angle to argue. Either way, I too doubt that the OP is looking for an apartment gym versus a real one.
Sorry...I know you always have to have the last word but we've beaten this into the ground...again. The OP is going to need to evaluate it for himself and see which fits.

Old 09-03-2019, 01:43 PM

9,195 posts, read 16,634,851 times
Quote:
Sorry...I know you always have to have the last word but we've beaten this into the ground...again. The OP is going to need to evaluate it for himself and see which fits.
Yes, of course he is and we established that until you then you made some weird argument that the apartment gyms in Old Town are superior to those in downtown PHX. I was simply addressing the fact that it's a weird stance to take and one without anything to support it.

Old 09-03-2019, 02:00 PM

189 posts, read 230,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
Yes, of course he is and we established that until you then you made some weird argument that the apartment gyms in Old Town are superior to those in downtown PHX. I was simply addressing the fact that it's a weird stance to take and one without anything to support it.
I totally get don't either such a stupid take...

Old 09-03-2019, 04:32 PM

Yup...its stupid...totally stupid.

Old 09-04-2019, 04:32 AM

9,741 posts, read 11,152,452 times
Quote:
Upscale chains, yes but why is that a bad thing? I would rather know what the quality of the food being served is going into a place rather than risk the hit and miss nature of some random "Pete's Bistro", being charged way more than the food is worth all for the ability to say "but it's not a chain". Sorry, the reason there are chains of restaurants is because they have a good product, are successful and saw the business opportunity to open multiple locations.
Some people have a hard time removing their (implicit??) bias. According to a dozen C-D Phoenix area posters, chain restaurants and non-independent coffee shops of any kind are inferior.

To the op. Checkout https://www.walkscore.com . Plug in the address. Detroit mentioned Portland on the Park (200 W Portland St, Phoenix, AZ 85003 ). It has a score of 84 (100 is the highest score possible). Next, I pulled out a random condo complex out of OT Scottsdale. I picked 7301 E 3rd Ave, Scottsdale, AZ 85251 which is Third Avenue Lofts. The walkability score is 76. Both are decent scores; neither incredible. Now plug in where you are currently living in order to get a very loose comparison. In comparison, our son live in Brookline, MA by Coolidge Corner and his walkability score is an impressive 98. I mention it because while I have lived in the burbs or rural areas my entire life, having a high(er) walkabilty score has its benefits. A score of 98 means you don't need a car (and he doesn't have one). Mass transit is 100 yards away. In his case, he has a FEDEX, Trader Joes, post office and dozens of restaurants that can be had in just a few hundred yards from your door. So picking a complex even more walkable might be worth the trade-off for you. While it isn't the only variable, the walkability score can help an outsider with more limited knowledge of an area pick a more walkable area. In the end, it is always about compromises.

My free advice is RENT for a couple of years before you buy. Rest assured you cannot get the near perfect location without experiencing the area for at least a year or two. RE buying and selling fees are expensive. If you rent and if you stay in the area, I predict you will be making a move to an area that you later fall in love with versus your 1st best guess. When you work the math to make sure you like the area AND want to actually live here long term, it makes more sense to rent 1st. Realize a lot of people bail after a few short years. Some good friends from MN who moved here and bought a home about a year ago are reselling and going back to MN. It's more common that you think. The winners were the RE agents and builder. The loser$ were our friends. Good luck with your pending move.

Last edited by MN-Born-n-Raised; 09-04-2019 at 04:55 AM..

Old 09-04-2019, 04:59 AM

9,741 posts, read 11,152,452 times
Quote:
Yup...its stupid...totally stupid.
On the bright side Kurt, you figured out the formula in order to get the last word with Detroit. Answer: self deprecation and you can have the last word for once.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area