Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2019, 03:05 PM

402 posts, read 369,021 times

Advertisements

As my username entails, I am headed West in January 2020. I was born in the Northeast, and have spent much of my professional career between Washington DC and Charlotte NC (in financial services industry *mortgage*)

A recruiter presented an opportunity with a new employer that offers the exact professional growth potential I have been looking for, and is based in the Tempe/Phoenix area

1. I prefer to live in an area of PHX close to bars, sporting events, nightlife, etc

2. How walkable is PHX in general?

3. How is the diversity in the areas I am targeting (demographics, socioeconomics)

I am a mid 30s African American guy, single, no kids, who needs to live near a good gym and a Whole Foods or similar grocery store. I love sporting events and have owned season tickets to the local sports teams for years, and imagine would buy Suns or Cardinals tickets as well.

Any advice welcome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2019, 03:20 PM

9,480 posts, read 12,284,541 times
The same advice I give to all newbies...try to live near your job. The valley is HUGE. So, it would be helpful if you gave us the general area that your job will be located and suggestions can be made from there.

Old 08-29-2019, 03:22 PM

9,195 posts, read 16,633,311 times
Downtown Phoenix for sure. A new Fry's (Kroger) is going in and it's a quick shoot up the 51 to the Whole Foods at 20th St. and Camelback. Gym's are all over. Diverse, nightlife, events, young professionals.

Old 08-29-2019, 03:49 PM

Job is based in Tempe however I am aware of the light rail and will have my car so if needed commuting isnt an issue. I battled DC beltway commutes for 5 years haha

Old 08-29-2019, 04:18 PM

1,217 posts, read 1,908,768 times
What's your budget? Downtown, Uptown, Tempe and old town Scottsdale. The valley is very spread out and there aren't a lot of truly 'walkable" areas here as compared to cities back east, but I think any of the areas I listed would fit your bill. What are the cross streets of your job?

Old 08-29-2019, 04:29 PM

3,187 posts, read 5,739,336 times
Downtown Phoenix it is. There has been a lot of new construction of apartments and condos. Not walkable like NYC or SF by any means, retail is kind of light, but plenty of bars and restaurants. Suns and Diamondbacks are downtown. Light Rail takes you to ASU sporting events. (Cardinals and Coyotes are in the boondocks.) EōS Fitness, Mountainside Fitness and the Y are all downtown. As to diversity, the metropolitan area is pretty much Hispanic and Anglo, not a huge African American community here, but downtown is more diverse than the suburban areas.

Old 08-29-2019, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kytoaz View Post
What's your budget? Downtown, Uptown, Tempe and old town Scottsdale. The valley is very spread out and there aren't a lot of truly 'walkable" areas here as compared to cities back east, but I think any of the areas I listed would fit your bill. What are the cross streets of your job?
Unsure of cross streets. Budget - 2000 to 2500.

Old 08-29-2019, 04:54 PM

1,217 posts, read 1,908,768 times
Man you can get a top of the line place for 1600-1800 here. Reason I asked for cross streets is that light rail is great if there is a stop close to your destination. My wife rode the rail from downtown to ASU for years and loved it but you have to be close especially in the summer months. As far as diversity, you should have zero problems. I know Arizona gets a ultra-red rep in the media but attitudes here are generally that people don't care what race you are or what you do as long as you contribute.
I'm from the south and attitudes on race here are a million times better.

If indeed the light rail is an option for you with your budget I would definitely put downtown Phoenix on the top of your list.

Old 08-29-2019, 05:00 PM

189 posts, read 230,560 times
As others have said, downtown Phoenix is what you're looking for. 2 new high-rises have opened up recently with The Stewart being right on the light rail line. The Link is another new one with excellent views but a little further from light rail. With that budget, you can also live in downtown Tempe and be closer to work but is more of college crowd but it is attracting more younger working professionals.

Old 08-29-2019, 05:54 PM

Thanks everyone for the input already.
Any condos in DT I should look at? I prefer to buy vs. Rent if possible
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area