U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2008, 01:26 PM

1,531 posts, read 776,167 times
I have been in the valley metro area for 12 years and have also never know anyone who had their car stolen.
When I was upside down on my truck I often wished someone would steal it....gap insurance.....but no had to just pay it eventually.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2008, 02:41 PM

257 posts, read 555,977 times
Graffiti coming from the California transplants? Now that is just silly. I am a California transplant who moved to Laveen. My husband is a cop and I am a web designer/dog trainer. We also know a few other California transplants and most of them are young and pretty successful and we all hate graffiti.

Please don't make such silly generalizations.

Graffiti comes from bored kids. I'm sure many of them were born here. The reason you are seeing more of it is because more things are being built for them to tag on. New subdivisions with concrete walls, new buildings, etc. Also more people from all over are moving to the area. New high schools are being built, which is the age kids to graffiti. So with more kids coming into the area for school, and more kids moving here from ALL OVER, you will get more graffiti.

Old 04-29-2008, 02:49 PM

For 2007 Phoenix ranked 8th in vehicle thefts. Once upon a time #1 things are at least headed in the right direction.

Old 04-29-2008, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garson View Post
For 2007 Phoenix ranked 8th in vehicle thefts. Once upon a time #1 things are at least headed in the right direction.
Oh wow, yeah I remember when Phoenix was number 1.

Do you happen to know who is number 1 now?

Old 04-29-2008, 03:15 PM

Modesto CA followed by Las Vegas and San Diego CA.
CA has several of the top 10 slots.

Old 04-30-2008, 10:38 AM

666 posts, read 1,321,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CheckM8 View Post
What are you talking about, "Laveen being more likely?" As compared to what? My insurance rates went down when I moved to Laveen from Glendale. I asked the insurance salesman and said that there are less auto thefts in Laveen compared to most of the city. There may be a few areas in the zip code where it is higher, but for the most part it is less.
That's interesting. Our friends live in Arrowhead (we ALMOST bought there) and had their car stolen and she said most of their neighbors have had their cars stolen over the years. I assumed it was an easy target with so many people and the mall not too far away. We're in Goodyear and we haven't heard of any problems in our area, but maybe it's just too new of an area to be targeted.

Old 04-30-2008, 01:24 PM

7,726 posts, read 1,237,847 times
We live in San Diego County (hoping to move to Goodyear if our house ever sells here) and we have had our car stolen twice. The police told us the closer you live to a major shopping center, freeway, or Mexico the more likely you are to be a target.

Old 04-30-2008, 09:34 PM

97 posts, read 271,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by military spouse View Post
That's interesting. Our friends live in Arrowhead (we ALMOST bought there) and had their car stolen and she said most of their neighbors have had their cars stolen over the years. I assumed it was an easy target with so many people and the mall not too far away. We're in Goodyear and we haven't heard of any problems in our area, but maybe it's just too new of an area to be targeted.
Goodyear has its problems too, it is all over the valley. Can't really escape it.

Old 04-30-2008, 10:22 PM

919 posts, read 2,099,953 times
I've been in PHX for 5 years and have yet to have a problem. I dont even have a garage - but a car port - and that took some getting used to. But maybe I'm lucky.

It seems in PHX, cars get stolen in order to get shipped to Mexico or get parted out.

The same happens in SoCal, but you also have a lot more of the low level opportunity thieves. They won't steal the car but will break a window to grab a bag, box, phone, etc. In LA, for example, they will break into a car and take anything that's of value. Stereos, hubs, tires. Someone mentioned parts... I had friends who lost bumpers, panels and other big items while attending a party for a couple of hours. My roomie had her car broken into for months and it was discovered they were stealing her mail (which she grabbed and read on the way to work). The perps didn;t want her car, but rather her identity. They got caught with a huge file on her every aspect.

Denver was where my car got messed with the most. Never stolen or attempted to be, but was broken into to grab trivial crap such as the stereo. Bored teens, tweakers or weenie entry level criminals, not sure who. But they did the most damage.

Old 05-01-2008, 12:56 AM

Yup, I agree with the poster above me, the problem is everywhere.

About a year ago when I was living in L.A., the apartment complex I lived in had 3 cars broken into in one night. Turns out the thiefs were targeting large SUV (like Tahoes and Suburbans) and stealing the third row seating out of them. It was happening all over the city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area