Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-18-2008, 02:16 PM

92 posts, read 310,979 times

Advertisements

Currently live in southern Indiana...gets in upper 90s with high humidity...I keep my 1 BR apartment at 70 degrees all day/night and pay about $130 a month in the summer for electricity...

I know it will be impossible to keep a 1 BR apartment at 70 degrees in Phoenix during the summer...what will I be able to run it at? Do people run AC in the morning or just evenings? what's the average electricity cost per month for a 1 BR in the summer? What temperature should I set my apt at here in Indiana during the summer to get (slightly) used to the heat in Phoenix? Or is it even comparable?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2008, 03:22 PM

92 posts, read 421,496 times
I had a 2 bedroom condo and kept it at 68 degrees during the summer my highest bill was $145. Some of the apartments have utilities included, so you may want to look for one of those.

Old 04-18-2008, 04:45 PM

92 posts, read 310,979 times
I heard from a leasing agent that if it says "utilities included" don't go for it because your cooling will be at the discretion of the property manager and the AC may or may not work...true?

Old 04-18-2008, 04:59 PM

92 posts, read 421,496 times
I had a studio apartment when i first moved to phoenix with it's own ac and utilities were included, so I guess it depends on the place.

Old 04-18-2008, 05:07 PM

338 posts, read 1,624,238 times
It partly depends on how well the apartment is insulated (i.e., windows, doors in tight, etc.). Then if you have APS (Arizona Public Service) they have ridiculously high rates. You may see a little lower bills with SRP (Salt River Project).

From my experience, even in the more expensive apartments (shoddy construction out here), my AC bills have been high especially if you are on the 2nd floor since hot air rises. I paid around $180-190 a month running the AC at 75 degrees in a one bedroom 850 sq foot apt on the second floor I was in last year. Most people seem to run their AC around 78-80 some people even higher. I like my place on the cool side so I tend to keep it between 75 and 77. So naturally I am not being that conservative so my bills will be higher than average.

Old 04-18-2008, 05:11 PM

674 posts, read 2,552,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogetsthesaurus View Post
I heard from a leasing agent that if it says "utilities included" don't go for it because your cooling will be at the discretion of the property manager and the AC may or may not work...true?
Not always true. In some apartments that include all utilities you pay for electricity that you plug in (TV, computer, lamps, etc.). The only apartment community that includes all utilities but controls your cooling/heating that I know of is Forest Park Apartments in Phoenix, they also have a cap/limit on how much electricity you can use depending on the model and number of bedrooms that you lease. Same company owns Fountains in the Green so that community might do the same thing as well.

Old 04-18-2008, 05:25 PM

3,632 posts, read 16,160,659 times
Most likely you will let the AC run ALL day and night (when you are home basically). I keep it at about 76-77 during the summer and it's quite comfortable (more on the cool side than warm). I used to have it at 75 in one house and would sit shivering, then I realized that it shouldn't be so cold and started making it not so cold. 70 in my home would be WAY TOO COLD.

Old 04-18-2008, 05:46 PM

338 posts, read 1,624,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sablebaby View Post
Most likely you will let the AC run ALL day and night (when you are home basically). I keep it at about 76-77 during the summer and it's quite comfortable (more on the cool side than warm). I used to have it at 75 in one house and would sit shivering, then I realized that it shouldn't be so cold and started making it not so cold. 70 in my home would be WAY TOO COLD.
I know.... 70 would be freezing. I wear a sweatshirt with it at 75.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area