U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2019, 07:13 PM

658 posts, read 569,985 times

Advertisements

What is Tuscon Metro?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2019, 08:34 AM

33,951 posts, read 43,634,762 times
Phoenix is more likely to meet Yuma than Tuscon (though neither is even remotely likely). Water and reservations make southern expansion unlikely. It's wide open all the way to Yuma on the west side and there is water along the Gila basin.

Old 10-25-2019, 09:27 AM

7,188 posts, read 10,492,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripper3785 View Post
That's hilarious! LOL

Casa Grande has a lot of work to do. Ugh....

Old 10-25-2019, 09:58 AM

2,360 posts, read 2,021,224 times
We'll run out of water way before that ever happens.

Old 10-25-2019, 04:56 PM

1,673 posts, read 3,799,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbradleynyc View Post
That's hilarious! LOL

Casa Grande has a lot of work to do. Ugh....
Not to get too sensitive about it - we that live in CG know this video was a joke. But of course it is not accurate in many ways.

Yes, there have been a couple of projects that started and then stopped - but that happens everywhere.

But CG is building is back on a housing boom again this year...as someone mentioned LUCID MOTORS is already grading ground to begin building their approved factory, and there is LOTS of stuff not announced quite yet. (I am active in the planning community here in town so I know).

Take a drive west from the freeway a half mile and you ll see a pretty normal looking suburb.

Oh, as for the original question - my guess it will be decades and will likely never include much of the Gila River Res except right along the freeway. The GRIC does have plans to do things similar to the Salt River tribe did along the 202....you can see the signs advertising for interest near Wild Horse Pass Rd already.

And there is still a lot of miles between Marana and Eloy though - so it will take a while.

And with 60K people full time, and 80K in the winter, its not like there is nothing here in CG. Even our mall is showing some signs of revitalization (the big one - not the old one he makes fun of in the video) - with more of an entertainment/dining bent.

Last edited by sh9730; 10-25-2019 at 05:06 PM..

Old 10-25-2019, 11:12 PM

5,109 posts, read 4,546,188 times
Potentially. I'm already hearing people referring to Coolidge as an exurb. I'm done with people. Coolidge??

It's honestly gross how much we've sprawled already, ruining our unique desert so people can have yards they never use, and changes in our environment doesn't seem to get people to question their lifestyle. Phoenix will be one of the places in the country hit worst from climate change, but not THE worst, due the fact we aren't vulnerable to bad natural disasters (heatwaves are considered natural disasters so yes we do get them VERY consistently, but heatwaves are no earthquakes) and rising sea levels.

Old 10-26-2019, 08:03 PM

872 posts, read 436,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prickly Pear View Post
Potentially. I'm already hearing people referring to Coolidge as an exurb. I'm done with people. Coolidge??

It's honestly gross how much we've sprawled already, ruining our unique desert so people can have yards they never use, and changes in our environment doesn't seem to get people to question their lifestyle. Phoenix will be one of the places in the country hit worst from climate change, but not THE worst, due the fact we aren't vulnerable to bad natural disasters (heatwaves are considered natural disasters so yes we do get them VERY consistently, but heatwaves are no earthquakes) and rising sea levels.
Yes, we have sprawl, but a lot of growing areas suffer from the same thing. What are you supposed to do? People want to live here. Lots are already getting smaller and smaller. It's not uncommon to see 3,000 sq ft lots (sometimes even less). Home prices are going up, yet people are still moving here. Same things are happening in Dallas, Austin, Charlotte, Atlanta, etc. People are moving to warmer weather. Not sure what solutions you have.

Old 10-26-2019, 11:07 PM

5,109 posts, read 4,546,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sno0909 View Post
Yes, we have sprawl, but a lot of growing areas suffer from the same thing. What are you supposed to do? People want to live here. Lots are already getting smaller and smaller. It's not uncommon to see 3,000 sq ft lots (sometimes even less). Home prices are going up, yet people are still moving here. Same things are happening in Dallas, Austin, Charlotte, Atlanta, etc. People are moving to warmer weather. Not sure what solutions you have.
Building townhouses and condos instead. And letting existing housing build guesthouses or casitas or ADUs. Put an urban growth boundary on the metro. By the way urban growth boundaries haven't stopped Portland.

It's not about people moving here, it's how we are choosing to build that is the problem. I would rather have a townhouse with a shorter commute than a house with lawns and more maintenance and a longer commute that I almost spend half my weekend doing house upkeep. I think plenty others would like that too. The downside is that really isn't an option in most of the metro. There are only small pockets of that type of housing here and because of it it's overpriced.

Old 10-26-2019, 11:46 PM

4,155 posts, read 2,616,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
Here is a reputable news source that has an idea of what will happen in the future

https://www.theonion.com/new-study-f...eni-1819579315
great stuff as usual from The Onion

Old 10-27-2019, 09:57 AM

3,338 posts, read 3,864,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prickly Pear View Post
Building townhouses and condos instead. And letting existing housing build guesthouses or casitas or ADUs. Put an urban growth boundary on the metro. By the way urban growth boundaries haven't stopped Portland.

It's not about people moving here, it's how we are choosing to build that is the problem. I would rather have a townhouse with a shorter commute than a house with lawns and more maintenance and a longer commute that I almost spend half my weekend doing house upkeep. I think plenty others would like that too. The downside is that really isn't an option in most of the metro. There are only small pockets of that type of housing here and because of it it's overpriced.
Builders build the type of housing that people want. DR Horton halted a townhome project just south of Happy Valley at I17 because they weren't selling them. They finally finished them but considering it took them a decade to do it in an area surrounded by both middle and high income jobs it shows the demand isn't there. In a much much shorter timeframe DR Horton built and sold 314, much more expensive, single family homes at Jomax and Dysart. People want to live further out and are more than willing to pay more to do it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area