Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2008, 03:05 PM

549 posts, read 1,559,198 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by e602043 View Post
We are looking to relocate to Phoenix area in the near future and we would like to know if there are any nice areas in downtown area which you can get around be walking and not needing a car. We are looking for a area that we can do all our activites by walking. For example being able to walk to local restaurants, or to buy groceries. Any information would be greatly appreciated!!!
Phoenix unfortunately isn't set up that way. Downtown is improving very fast, and there will soon be a grocery store downtown, with light rail connecting to other amenties. But that's still not until 2009 or so, all told. Phoenix is working backwards - it existed as a totally car oriented city, and now is beginning to try to develop a downtown. I can't advise being here without a car. Not yet, anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2008, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitram View Post
Without a car in downtown Phoenix in the middle of summer; how are you going to get those frozen food items and milk home on the light rail, or walking without them melting and spoiling. For an average family you'd have to have a pretty good size cooler on wheels.
The rail cars will be air conditioned. All you need is a cart. People do this all the time - summer in Chicago, for example.

Old 04-19-2008, 03:16 PM

3,172 posts, read 6,752,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelinWA View Post
That's interesting, but overall I can't think of many major cities in the U.S. that require a car more than Phoenix.
Los Angeles.

Old 04-19-2008, 04:59 PM

6,703 posts, read 5,930,570 times
There's a fair number of people getting by on the buses. It's possible to live here without a car, just not as convenient. After you arrive, I would suggest renting a car for a few days just to get your place outfitted and stock up the kitchen. Eventually you might invest in a cheap used car just to have something to fall back on. Cars are relatively free of rust around here, luckily.

Old 04-19-2008, 08:32 PM

9,530 posts, read 16,512,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelinWA View Post
That's interesting, but overall I can't think of many major cities in the U.S. that require a car more than Phoenix.
Tampa/St Pete for one, Phoenix at least is attempting something, Tampa is pathetic, barely has any bus service, and only serves a few areas.

Old 04-19-2008, 08:52 PM

13 posts, read 61,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amc760 View Post
Los Angeles.
I would think that LA requires a car more than Phoenix? I have lived in Phoenix before without a car and thought it was quite convenient getting around by buses. I would think it is a lot harder to get around without a car in LA because LA is more spread-out and larger than phoenix and the bus system there isn't quite as reliable? Am I right? Thanks.

Old 04-20-2008, 03:50 AM

3,819 posts, read 11,940,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by synapse View Post
Phoenix is working backwards - it existed as a totally car oriented city, and now is beginning to try to develop a downtown. I can't advise being here without a car. Not yet, anyway.
A lot of people seem to think this but it's not true. Up until the 1950s, Phoenix was a very downtown oriented city...everything was downtown, theatres, retail - JC Penny, Sears, etc, restaurants, and so fourth...downtown was the place people went on the weekend.

Old 04-20-2008, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HX_Guy View Post
A lot of people seem to think this but it's not true. Up until the 1950s, Phoenix was a very downtown oriented city...everything was downtown, theatres, retail - JC Penny, Sears, etc, restaurants, and so fourth...downtown was the place people went on the weekend.
Seriously? I never thought Phoenix had a downtown. What happened?

Old 04-20-2008, 12:29 PM

1,632 posts, read 6,842,905 times
I wouldn't want to be in either LA or Phoenix without a car, but there are walkable, relatively safe-contained neighborhoods in the sprawling LA area where it could work, especially if you live close to your job. I'm thinking about places like Santa Monica, Silver Lake, Brentwood - even downtown. None of these places gets to 115 degrees. The rail should help matters in Phoenix, like the Gold Line et al have done for certain LA-area neighborhoods.

Quote:
Originally Posted by inaxg View Post
I would think that LA requires a car more than Phoenix? I have lived in Phoenix before without a car and thought it was quite convenient getting around by buses. I would think it is a lot harder to get around without a car in LA because LA is more spread-out and larger than phoenix and the bus system there isn't quite as reliable? Am I right? Thanks.

Old 04-20-2008, 04:09 PM

4,250 posts, read 10,449,860 times
I would not do it. I really wish there were a way to do it, but it's not doable. Where I live the nearest convenience store is a mile away and then I have to risk my life just crossing Scottsdale road to get there.

I REALLY wish I didn't need a car here, but it is a fact of life. The nearest grocery store is two miles away and there isn't even a sidewalk to walk on. One can only carry so much in the way of groceries. The heat is oppressive so walking more than a block isn't a good idea. It's dangerous, as one other poster noted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area