Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2008, 11:04 PM

53 posts, read 421,896 times

Advertisements

This thread reminds me of an experience I had with my son. He is very soft spoken but he's always did well in school and is in some advanced classes. He had a open house at his school for his advanced class. I went I sat there and listened to other kids speak of all they've done and and parents bragging on their childrens. Concerned that maybe this wasn't right for my son I talked to his teacher by herself. I explained that I was o.k. if my son was just normal and happy so didn't want him to feel like an outcast left behind by all these overacheivers.
She almost laughed at me then explained to me that most of those kids wish they were as smart as my son. That he is usually is helping them in her class and she showed me test scores from some recent standarized test and he got the highest scores for his grade at that schooland was well above the national average. He plays sports, has lots of friends of all types, and would never give you the impression that he's thinks he smarter than any other kid.

I guess my point is some people feel the need to show how smart they are. Other's are just happy to live there life and know they are smart.

Old 04-20-2008, 11:11 PM

35 posts, read 152,843 times
I saw this post, and I just had to comment.

I have lived in Massachusetts my entire life until recently when I moved to Manchester, New Hampshire.
Not only is this place full of rude people, they are also dumb as stumps!

Now, obviously the entire population of this city is not completely uneducated, but there are days where I do wonder if I am the only educated person here.

I really don't have a point to this reply other than YOU CAN DO IT! You are not alone in the world. I feel your pain.

Old 04-20-2008, 11:13 PM

4,250 posts, read 10,449,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrAZToCO View Post
This thread reminds me of an experience I had with my son. He is very soft spoken but he's always did well in school and is in some advanced classes. He had a open house at his school for his advanced class. I went I sat there and listened to other kids speak of all they've done and and parents bragging on their childrens. Concerned that maybe this wasn't right for my son I talked to his teacher by herself. I explained that I was o.k. if my son was just normal and happy so didn't want him to feel like an outcast left behind by all these overacheivers.
She almost laughed at me then explained to me that most of those kids wish they were as smart as my son. That he is usually is helping them in her class and she showed me test scores from some recent standarized test and he got the highest scores for his grade at that schooland was well above the national average. He plays sports, has lots of friends of all types, and would never give you the impression that he's thinks he smarter than any other kid.

I guess my point is some people feel the need to show how smart they are. Other's are just happy to live there life and know they are smart.
Well, Kudos to your son. I hope you give him the praise and encouragement he needs to become all he can be, to his potential! I grew up in a family where I was so deprived, so if you have any extra money to throw at other activities, that is great! I too was in accelerated classes, but my family did not have the resources to channel things correctly. Whatever you can do to help your son out in this arena, is money well spent.

Good luck!

Old 04-21-2008, 12:25 AM

53 posts, read 421,896 times
Admittedly when he started reading the ticker at the bottom of the screen during the news and asking me what some words meant before he spent a day in a classroom I started looking into what schools he would go to. I now know how blessed I am because, I have other kids, that I never had to push him a day to do better in school. He knows we are just as proud or more so of his geography or spelling bee metals as any of his little league trophies. Same goes for our other kids we promote whatever there accomplishments are. I studied engineering and became one, my wife studied art and choose to raise our kids and they are a mix of both of us.
I work with people who are very smart but in a social setting they never come off as anything more than an average joe.
My point of my original post was more that even though my son could act like he is the smartest person in the room he has never chosen to. So when your someplace how would you know your smarter than everyone and not just around someone who choose to keep it to themselves?
I have to admit something else, I started reading this forum when I was deciding if I should move to Colorado a couple years ago and ready it just about everyday for fun but seldom post or reply to anything because of some of the responses I've ready seem less than productive lets say and some are just down right rude. So I can see some people could get a bad impression from this forum.

Old 04-21-2008, 12:36 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,405,055 times
what i find a lot is people will talk down to me that are pretty ignorant. ill prepared zero research on stuff i have already carefully reviewed b4 posting. won't hesitate to call me out in a righteous angry abrupt manner often back peddling in their assertions in the same sentences very funny. i dont need to go to the circus i can get my clown show on CD. the involuntary clowns are by far the best performers.

Old 04-21-2008, 12:37 AM

1,216 posts, read 3,028,925 times
Default Intelligent or dumb?

Has anyone else noticed that the OP has not posted since their original beginning post that started this thread? So are they trying to show that they are so far more intelligent than all of us that we are beneath their intellectual status and warrant no further interaction on their part? Or maybe they don't want to answer for fear that they will prove to be less intelligent than some of us who posted here because they are not able to respond in an equally intelligent manner to the posts that have been written here? Or maybe they are just sitting back after throwing out the bait to see how all of us will react and we are all just some kind of social experiment for their college thesis. Or maybe they are just sitting back because they have a very short attention span and have immediately lost interest in the subject. Or maybe........ ..... obviously I could go on an on, and the only reason I even posted was that the OP's pompousness and egocentricism were so overwhelming to me that I couldn't help but wonder aloud as to what inner feelings of gross inferiority this poor person must live with day in and day out that they would feel compelled to post on a public forum about how intelligent and superior they are to a whole city to make themselves feel better. So, do you feel better now? Good, I'm glad we could be good listeners.

Old 04-21-2008, 12:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crystalys View Post
Has anyone else noticed that the OP has not posted since their original beginning post that started this thread? So are they trying to show that they are so far more intelligent than all of us that we are beneath their intellectual status and warrant no further interaction on their part? Or maybe they don't want to answer for fear that they will prove to be less intelligent than some of us who posted here because they are not able to respond in an equally intelligent manner to the posts that have been written here? Or maybe they are just sitting back after throwing out the bait to see how all of us will react and we are all just some kind of social experiment for their college thesis. Or maybe they are just sitting back because they have a very short attention span and have immediately lost interest in the subject. Or maybe........ ..... obviously I could go on an on, and the only reason I even posted was that the OP's pompousness and egocentricism were so overwhelming to me that I couldn't help but wonder aloud as to what inner feelings of gross inferiority this poor person must live with day in and day out that they would feel compelled to post on a public forum about how intelligent and superior they are to a whole city to make themselves feel better. So, do you feel better now? Good, I'm glad we could be good listeners.
Gosh, maybe the OP was really a troll.

Old 04-21-2008, 12:49 AM

788 posts, read 2,110,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubee View Post
I haven't looked into your previous posts, but I assume you must have had someone respond rudely to you, and/or had some interactions with rude people. I do agree - I find it bizarre that some of the most sarcastic or negative people who post regarding Phoenixa don't actually live here. Go figure.

However, if you're going to make a generalization regarding the majority of people here not being as smart as you and how you are more intelligent, please, at least don't make so many grammatical errors in your post as you are trying to insult the people on this forum.

For example, if you're going to say "it is not fun to have that feeling that you are so much smarter" than the people in Phoenix, you lose credibility in your one paragraph with:

"intellectualness" - unless you have some old English background, the term is intelligibility. Prejudice is a noun, you must mean prejudiced. If you're so much more educated than the majority of people, how do you not know the difference between then and than when you point out how you are 'so much smarter THEN everyone else'...um, okay. Starting with "cause"? Seriously, you must know that that the word is because.

I guess I'm taking offense a bit, so if I'm grumpy, I apologize if you are being sincere in being disappointed with the people you've met. Where have you gone to meet people? Maybe some of the locals can give you suggestions on where you might people with similar interests? We've had a very positive experience, though, and have personally met very nice and intelligent people since I've moved from Boston to Phoenix though CityData, and found the information on this board invaluable, well-researched, and helpful.
Lol. I spend so much time in forums lately that I don't even notice those mistakes anymore.

You're spot on though.

Old 04-21-2008, 12:51 AM

788 posts, read 2,110,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xenourtv View Post
Cause I really do not think most people here are intelligent. Of course if you go to particular settings you could be around people who are smart and successfull, but I am talking about the overall environment. The intellectualness of the people in the Phoenix area is seriously lacking compared to other places I have resided in. I am an educated college graduate and I wonder why people here seem so rude, prejudice, and uneducated?

The majority of the people I encountered here are.....I DONT KNOW. I don't know about you, but it is not fun to have that feeling that you are so much smarter then the person you are interacting with. Apparently I will just have to adjust...
Where do you arrive from? From my experience here (20 years now), Phoenix is full of all kinds of people, from all kinds of educational backgrounds. I get along with all types.

Also, just because you have a college degree does not mean that you are more intelligent than anyone else. Most kids these days go to college to make more money, not to learn.

Old 04-21-2008, 01:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artliquide View Post
Where do you arrive from? From my experience here (20 years now), Phoenix is full of all kinds of people, from all kinds of educational backgrounds. I get along with all types.

Also, just because you have a college degree does not mean that you are more intelligent than anyone else. Most kids these days go to college to make more money, not to learn.
In my day and age, it was actually a symbol of excellence. I don't know what happened here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area