Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2016, 12:26 PM

743 posts, read 875,129 times

Advertisements

It's a pain in the ass because people don't understand ditch times, where to get the irrigation if they have to turn it down towards their property, or where the water even comes from.

OP--you want a taste of the wild west? Then come out and see what happens if you take your irrigation early--I've seen guns drawn and more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2016, 01:58 PM

3 posts, read 3,568 times
well what im asking is do you guys know of any city that you pay them and city employees come to your neighborhood and operate the system/fix it for you guys.

Old 05-25-2016, 03:28 PM

6,750 posts, read 5,044,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 123Guy123 View Post
well what im asking is do you guys know of any city that you pay them and city employees come to your neighborhood and operate the system/fix it for you guys.
We have some friends who live in north Phoenix and there is someone who manages the water in their neighbornood. I don't know if he's a city employee, but all they do is pay the bills.

Old 05-25-2016, 05:37 PM

1,069 posts, read 2,945,731 times
I *think* my friend's neighbors (mentioned earlier) are also in a similar situation. I don't believe they get up at some odd hour of the morning to turn it on, and back off again. Either a city employee, or an SRP employee likely comes out to handle it (part of the bill).

Old 05-25-2016, 08:01 PM

1,292 posts, read 3,473,570 times
You can tell the homes in the older neighborhoods that have them - the lawn is kind of sunken down to trap the water.

When we were kids, we would check out the flooded lawns after the water went down - there were lots of little crawdads that were left behind. Don't know if people who irrigate their lawns still get that, or if (like the way dog poop used to turn white) that's a thing of the past.

Old 05-25-2016, 08:04 PM

39,075 posts, read 51,205,311 times
This may provide many answers. It is for SRP, but the system works m/l the same in other districts.

https://www.srpnet.com/water/irrigation/pdfx/manual.pdf

Old 05-26-2016, 07:31 AM

7,167 posts, read 9,216,704 times
One of my bosses lives in Tempe. He says the city of Tempe takes care of his irrigation. He pays 4 times as much as I do tho.

Old 05-26-2016, 04:51 PM

3 posts, read 3,568 times
Thats kool! I wonder how many other cities do this? Thanks for the info!

Old 05-26-2016, 04:57 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,394,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 123Guy123 View Post

In most of the areas that have it in truly residential areas, there are companies you can pay to do the setup for you. I don't think there are city workers in Phoenix who do it. Tempe does, but not in the south Tempe area someone mentioned upthread, only in the central and northern parts. http://www.tempe.gov/city-hall/publi...ation-schedule Mesa may do it with city employees, their website isn't clear on that. Tempe does the maintenance, too, apparently. As far as other cities, hopefully others will chime in.

Why does it matter whether you are paying a city or private employee to do the setup?

Old 05-27-2016, 07:28 AM

7,167 posts, read 9,216,704 times
Personally I don't think flood irrigation alone is reason enough to buy a house. Yes my house has it. Yes it's cheaper than city water. But when we were looking irrigation wasn't even on our list.

Irrigation allows us to have a lusher yard and trees. Unless you're buying a 5 acre lot or larger then it's just a small plus (IMO). Find the place that suits you, placement, size, amenities, etc. Then ask yourself how you would take care of the landscaping. You will find some very nicely landscaped yards both in and out of the flood irrigation zones.

One more thing. YOU are responsible for maintenance on the pipes in your yard. If it breaks, leaks, etc., SRP won't fix it. At least not in PHX.

Just my 2 cents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area