U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-16-2020, 07:06 PM

1,606 posts, read 2,446,560 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by yukon View Post
That happens a lot less than most non-FL people think.
We went through the whole alphabet naming hurricanes around 2005, we were hit so hard by 1 hurricane when I lived in Boca that trees that had been there for over 100 years vanished and after it was all cleaned up I did not recognize my own neighborhood because it looked so desolate.I moved to Arizona 1 year later.
I still have ptsd from the memories so it only takes 1 hurricane to change your life and no one can predict when the next cat 4 or 5 will hit which is 1 reason why home insurance is so expensive in Florida and why the deductibles are so high.

Quote:
4 hurricanes in 6 weeks? It happened to one state in 2004.
Lessons learned then are valuable reminders today

August 26, 2019Florida, officially known as the “Sunshine State,” was dubbed the “Plywood State” by media after it was battered by four hurricanes in only six weeks during the 2004 hurricane season. Nearly every square inch of Florida felt the impacts from at least one of those four storms.
Quote:
With six hurricanes reaching at least Category 3 intensity, 2004 also had the most major hurricanes since 1996, a record which would be surpassed in 2005. Florida was directly impacted by four major hurricanes during the season – Hurricane Charley, Frances, Ivan, and Jeanne.
I now feel safe in AZ a state with the safest record in the USA for natural disasters

Last edited by autism360; 02-16-2020 at 07:23 PM..
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2020, 07:41 AM

726 posts, read 319,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by barca12 View Post
For me, it is about direct exposure. If you have shade or cover, the heat is not bad at all and quite tolerable especially with the lack of humidity. There are so many strategies to mitigate the heat. Nearly everyone has a swimming pool here. Most restaurants and many homes have outdoor mister systems. If you were to be outdoors from 10 am to 5 pm, it would be quite miserable. Outside of that it isn't bad at all. In my experience, the people who tend to complain about heat also tend to complain about a lot of other things. Most understand the heat isn't pleasant but it's not nearly the talking point that internet trolls will obsess about.
This is spot on.

Old 02-17-2020, 08:07 AM

1,490 posts, read 3,104,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parentologist View Post
Phoenix was hell, just hell, when I was there in April. Even the nights were very hot. I didn't know how people could live there.

S. Florida in June and July is hot, and humid, but not as bad as Phoenix was.
Hell............ in April? I could see how some folks don't like our summers, but April???????
Personally, I look forward to summers but I'm a desert rat kind of guy. With the heat comes warm pool temps and the lakes are heavenly when it's hot.
Still, I understand why some might not handle the extreme heat very well.
But April?

Old 02-17-2020, 09:41 AM

861 posts, read 773,337 times
Love the heat!!!

But the humidity is a no for me. It gets bad when the RH is above 15%- Monsoon season (DP over 50)

While Phx humidity (when there is no rain) is nothing in comparison to the regular humidty of DP over 70, it is still quite uncomfortable when it's still over 100 and you are used to dry heat (single digit RH) most of the year.

April-June is the driest stretch of the year and the best time IMO. Highs from 75-110 (end of June) but still the lows are manageable. This is the famous dry heat. Now, not everyday of monsoon season (July-Sept) is humid but when it is it sure is nasty. That added with the TEASE of rain makes it worse. But when it does rain, and I imagine this in FL too, it is welcomed and refreshing.

I'd take monsoon season over the threat of Tropical storms, tornadoes and sinkholes all day

Old 02-17-2020, 09:47 AM

71 posts, read 27,960 times
Hi All!

I have read through this entire post and I still need some reassurance. I grew up in South Florida and went to college in Miami. The heat was always an issue for me. I left as a young adult and moved around a bit, ending up in Atlanta for a decade. The summers in Atlanta we also too hot for me.

I currently live in the North and my husband has been given an opportunity to transfer to Phoenix. I have been to Phoenix several times and thought it was hot, however I have never been there in the summer. I actually think my husband will not like the heat so I have decided that we should visit Phoenix when its really hot. What month can I count one to be the hottest in your opinion?

Anyone with a similar experience to mine want to ease my fears? As I get older, I think of retiring to a place where I will not have to ensure snow and sub zero temps. This could be our opportunity to head West a bit early.

Also-if anyone has lived in Las Vegas, that is another consideration. I would love a comparison of Phoenix to Vegas weather.

Thanks in advance!

Old 02-17-2020, 12:24 PM

22,301 posts, read 8,864,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justjagginyinz View Post
Hi All!

I have read through this entire post and I still need some reassurance. I grew up in South Florida and went to college in Miami. The heat was always an issue for me. I left as a young adult and moved around a bit, ending up in Atlanta for a decade. The summers in Atlanta we also too hot for me.

I currently live in the North and my husband has been given an opportunity to transfer to Phoenix. I have been to Phoenix several times and thought it was hot, however I have never been there in the summer. I actually think my husband will not like the heat so I have decided that we should visit Phoenix when its really hot. What month can I count one to be the hottest in your opinion?

Anyone with a similar experience to mine want to ease my fears? As I get older, I think of retiring to a place where I will not have to ensure snow and sub zero temps. This could be our opportunity to head West a bit early.

Also-if anyone has lived in Las Vegas, that is another consideration. I would love a comparison of Phoenix to Vegas weather.

Thanks in advance!
Vegas is 10°F colder in the fall and winter, 5°F in Spring, and about the same in July but with less humidity

Old 02-17-2020, 02:44 PM

2,941 posts, read 1,676,648 times
Quote:
What month can I count one to be the hottest in your opinion?
Come anytime from July 15-august 15th

if you can tolerate that time period, you can tolerate any other time period too..

Old 02-18-2020, 01:27 PM

5,064 posts, read 4,396,153 times
Where my family lives in SW Florida summers are not too bad. I find that the humidity and high heat down there are much harder to deal with during strenuous physical activity (assuming you aren’t on the beach). The difference from being right on the open sand with the water inches away versus being two rows in behind some palm and pine trees are amazing, it gets so hot so quickly.

One of the biggest factors is if the sun is out or not, for both locations. Both feel quite noticeably cooler with the clouds, and in Florida it rains quite a bit more, which is an important factor for heat relief. I love the hot summer rains of the south.

Phoenix it’s all about getting decent shade cover, of which there is none really, due to lack of tall buildings, wide roads and parking lots, and little to no trees (we are a desert after all). You’ll still sweat in the shade probably, but it’s a drastic difference.

Phoenix is definitely more tolerable for me, but each have their pros and cons. It’s a matter of preference.

Old 02-19-2020, 02:57 AM

3,114 posts, read 1,906,328 times
Quote:
Hi All!

Thanks in advance!
I was born in Miami, but have done 6 Summers in Phoenix, one in BHC, Four in Rio Rico, one in Vegas, and several in Bangkok. Phoenix is by far the worst and actually makes Bangkok look mild. Wouldn't want to do BHC again, but there is much less of a heat island effect. Rio Rico, at 4300 feet was the most mild, and I used evap to cool. Vegas has a few days of death heat, instead of a few months, but nothing to sneeze at...you must have ac. If you compare Bangkok to Miami, the two are quite similar during the Summer months, and it is only slightly milder in Virginia. All three can be like jungles, but the big difference is regular rainfall, that cools things down. That is what you don't get in Phoenix..lots of teaser storms that don't deliver...and a few dust storms, at the worst possible time.

Old 02-19-2020, 05:46 AM

40,324 posts, read 49,875,407 times
I have lived in Phoenix and coastal Georgia, which is pretty similar to the Florida climate. I find the dry heat of AZ easier to tolerate that the humid heat. Of course, both require good AC in the summer. Here in GA, I get mildew on clothes hanging in my closet. That wouldn’t happen in AZ.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area