Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2020, 06:58 PM

3 posts, read 3,119 times

Advertisements

I'm moving to Phoenix area with my wife and our 2 kids (in elementary grades) this June. I will be working in Chandler (S Dobson Rd / W Frye Rd) 2 days out of a work week and in Gilbert (S Santan Village Pkwy & E Williams Field Rd) the other 3 days. Kids have already been enrolled in Basis Ahwatukee. Wife is not going to work for a while.

We would like to rent somewhere close to kids' school to make it easy for them, so looking for an apartment or a condo for rent in the west Chandler / east Ahwatukee Foothills Village area. We have already checked out some apartments in that area, but my wife wants to be sure that the above mentioned areas safe.

Do you guys have any recommendations as to the apartments or condos in the range of $1300-1600/mo (2bed/2bath)?

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2020, 09:12 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,184,047 times
Anything in west Chandler or Ahwatukee Foothills should be fine safety-wise. There's some crime everywhere, of course, but those are generally good areas. Mark Taylor properties are particularly nice, but there are others.

Old 04-21-2020, 10:00 PM

4,468 posts, read 10,560,823 times
Ahwatukee Foothills is one of the nicest parts of the metro, IMO. There are several nice apartment complexes on Chandler Blvd, and a nice condo complex on Desert Hills Pkwy. But you'll be taking the 202 most days. I don't know which way is the heaviest traffic flow on that part of the 202. I was usually going W in the a.m. and E in the p.m., exiting on the 101. It was fairly light, but this was at 10:00 am and around 6:30 pm usually.

Old 04-21-2020, 10:06 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,184,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yukon View Post
Ahwatukee Foothills is one of the nicest parts of the metro, IMO. There are several nice apartment complexes on Chandler Blvd, and a nice condo complex on Desert Hills Pkwy. But you'll be taking the 202 most days. I don't know which way is the heaviest traffic flow on that part of the 202. I was usually going W in the a.m. and E in the p.m., exiting on the 101. It was fairly light, but this was at 10:00 am and around 6:30 pm usually.

I think the heaviest traffic on the 202, like I-10, is westbound AM and eastbound PM. So the OP should be fine, as his commute will be the reverse.

Old 04-21-2020, 10:51 PM

4,619 posts, read 9,220,726 times
There's a couple of enormous new apartment complexes near McQueen Rd and Germann Rd that would be situated perfectly location wise. It would be in between both job locations, walking distance to Chandler's biggest park (Tumbleweed) and close to a large amount of shopping and dining at Crossroads Town Center. I know nothing about the complexes themselves other than that they're new, and the location seems good for a temporary rental.

Old 04-22-2020, 12:40 PM

8,019 posts, read 12,163,541 times
For the O.P.: Ahwatukee is the area near I10, 48th Street, and the Warner/Elliott Loop. This is the older section, but it's still generally a decent location. Ahwatukee Foothills is further west, mainly along & near Chandler Blvd., and is mostly newer, more sporadic development with fewer apartments to choose from.

Old 04-22-2020, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
Anything in west Chandler or Ahwatukee Foothills should be fine safety-wise. There's some crime everywhere, of course, but those are generally good areas. Mark Taylor properties are particularly nice, but there are others.
We've checked out Mark Taylor properties as well as others. Are there any apartments or condos that you recommend against for any reason (such as safety, poorly maintained property etc)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by yukon
Yes, the plan is to take 202 and hopefully traffic isn't bad as I will be going against the traffic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by asufan
a couple of enormous new apartment complexes near McQueen Rd and Germann Rd that would be situated perfectly location wise. It would be in between both job locations, walking distance to Chandler's biggest park (Tumbleweed) and close to a large amount of shopping and dining at Crossroads Town Center. I know nothing about the complexes themselves other than that they're new, and the location seems good for a temporary rental.
This seems like a nice area, but we would like to stay close to the school so they don't have to spend a lot of their time on the road.

Old 04-22-2020, 06:13 PM

What are your thoughts on Sonoran Apartments, Array South Mountain and Lumiere Condos?

Old 04-22-2020, 06:46 PM

4,054 posts, read 5,065,020 times
Okay...now I am going to preface this with "We lived there about 15 years ago when they were apartments" but I would stay away from Lumiere Chandler Condominiums. We lived there when my son was 2, lots of shady folks there, found, shall we say "paraphernalia" by the spa and littered around the property, dog droppings all over the place. The thing that made us break our lease was a mold infestation in our apartment block. They had a flood about 6 months before we moved in and basically never did any remediation besides covering over the damaged ares with Killz and repainting. My son had such a bad reaction that his pediatrician wanted to put him on breathing treatments. We figured out it was environmental when we went on vacation for about a week in CA and our son's breathing improved almost over night. Got worse again when we came home. There is a very long story after that about mold inspections, City of Chandler inspectors, breaking a lease etc. but we'll just leave it at that.

Anyway...I am sure the management has changed and it may be fine now but I would never recommend the place.

Old 04-22-2020, 07:17 PM

4,468 posts, read 10,560,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
For the O.P.: Ahwatukee is the area near I10, 48th Street, and the Warner/Elliott Loop. This is the older section, but it's still generally a decent location. Ahwatukee Foothills is further west, mainly along & near Chandler Blvd., and is mostly newer, more sporadic development with fewer apartments to choose from.

There are quite a few apartments in the foothills area. Several on Chandler, from the 101 all the way out to the split. Also in the same blocks on Ray Rd. A really nice area is 48th I think, from Chandler to Ray. Goes thru a golf course with several nice apartment complexes and condos.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area