Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-22-2020, 10:23 AM

26 posts, read 42,781 times

Advertisements

We are looking to relocate to the valley. New River, Cave Creek and Apache Junction are currently on our short list. What would you consider to be the top 3 advantages/disadvantages for each ares? I have searched other threads but much of what it currently out there doesn’t apply to us as we don’t eat out and aren’t raising a family.
A little about us: we are a retired couple (no children) in our early 60’s. We would like a home with 2-5 acres so that we can have some elbow room from our neighbors and enjoy being outside without feeling like we are under a microscope with everyone knowing our business. Not a huge house (something under 2200 sq. feet) as we don’t have children and our family is back in Michigan. We enjoy nature though my husband’s health prevents him from doing any hiking. But we love sunsets, stargazing and seeing birds and other wildlife in our backyard. We also like to target shoot with our handguns so being close (within 15 miles or so) to a decent gun range is very important. And decent as possible air quality. We currently live in Kearny and the dust from the mines in Kearny, Winkleman and Superior are causing problems for me. Our price range is up to $500K.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2020, 03:53 PM

3,822 posts, read 9,472,476 times
New River might be the place. Close drive down I-17 to the Ben Avery Range, shopping nearby in Anthem and probably the place that gets you the most land with your budget.

Cave Creek is getting upscale and Apache Jct still gives off the meth and trailer parks vibe.

If willing to drive a bit further, there is also Black Canyon City. A quick Google map search puts that 23 minutes away from the shooting range.

Old 04-23-2020, 10:21 AM

2,153 posts, read 5,173,480 times
New River can offer you most of what you are looking for. Also consider Morristown/Wittman just a little further west.

Old 04-23-2020, 11:45 AM

26 posts, read 42,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZJoeD View Post
New River can offer you most of what you are looking for. Also consider Morristown/Wittman just a little further west.
Thank. I have been told that Wittman is a high meth community. Do you know if that is true? Don’t know anything about Morristown but will check it out.

Old 04-23-2020, 03:39 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,401,736 times
The disadvantage, to me, of Morristown/Wittman is that it's ugly flat desert out there. Agree that of the three options mentioned, I'd pick New River, for the reasons the others stated.

Old 04-24-2020, 08:28 PM

2,153 posts, read 5,173,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dukefan60 View Post
Thank. I have been told that Wittman is a high meth community. Do you know if that is true? Don’t know anything about Morristown but will check it out.
That is ridiculous. There are lots of nice custom homes on large parcels in Wittman. Back in the 2005 time frame Wittman was a hot area. Building came to a halt (2008) in Wittman mostly because of a moratorium that was placed on new building by the county because of Luke Air Force Base noise restrictions. There was great fear that the government was going to shut down Luke because of too much intrusion from development. But McCain and Gov.Brewer lobbied to get the F-35 training which guaranteed its future.

While technically the moratorium has never been lifted, building in Witttman is on a case by case basis. Existing homes of course were grandfathered.

Wittman is very rural, but if you are looking for a 2-5 acre parcel in a rural area it could be a good option. You have to drive to Surprise for shopping and services, but the same is true for most rural areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area