U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2020, 03:17 PM

460 posts, read 321,725 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by crystalys View Post
Lived in North Phoenix for most of the 30 years I have lived in Arizona. First to be near family and then made a lot of friends on that side of the city. Became empty nesters after living in Moon Valley for 13 years. Absolutely loved living there. Good schools, nice properties, friendly neighbors, conveniently located to all amenities and freeways.
Then we bought a vacation place in Payson 5 years ago. Sold the home in Moon Valley and tried living in our Payson home full time. Let's just say, I have never liked winter, LOL. I am originally from Boston.
Ended up buying a townhouse in Tempe a little over a year ago and am really enjoying getting to know my new neighborhood. It is closer to the Payson house and we just plain wanted a change for our new life adventure (close to retirement).

We moved to Moon Valley almost 2 years ago and I love it so much. Our neighbors are amazing, we can hike North Mountain from our house, our schools are great, we are close enough to downtown. I wouldn't want to live anywhere else in the Valley!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2020, 12:44 AM

1,191 posts, read 932,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crystalys View Post
Then we bought a vacation place in Payson 5 years ago. Sold the home in Moon Valley and tried living in our Payson home full time. Let's just say, I have never liked winter, LOL. I am originally from Boston.
Ended up buying a townhouse in Tempe a little over a year ago and am really enjoying getting to know my new neighborhood. It is closer to the Payson house and we just plain wanted a change for our new life adventure (close to retirement).
Doesn't Payson have pretty mild winters, though?

Old 05-01-2020, 01:31 AM

1,066 posts, read 2,667,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chahunt View Post
Doesn't Payson have pretty mild winters, though?
Some of the time, but it does get in the 20's and 30's at night and in the winter of 2014 on New Year's Eve and New Year's Day 2015 Payson got a foot of snow.

At the end of December 2018 (on the 31st) the daytime high was 27 °F. The lowest temp for the month was 18 °F on December 29th at 6 am. So definitely not something I want to be in ever again.

Just missed getting stuck in this one: February 21 to 22, 2019 they got 31.8" of snow just in these two days.

But I do love my summer months up there. It's like being a snowbird but with only a little over an hour drive.

Old 05-01-2020, 06:56 AM

7,655 posts, read 4,932,910 times
Just south of Central Tempe. I liked the grass, trees, diverse and older housing stock, and large population of childless couples and professionals.

The students can get annoying but nothing overwhelming

Old 05-01-2020, 07:14 AM

139 posts, read 39,275 times
My wife and I lived on the west side, (Glendale), from 1997 until this past Summer, (2019). When we sold our home and moved to Lake Havasu City. We did so for many reasons. Mostly because our old neighborhood was changing, and not for the better. There was a lot of racial changes, along with the crime and graffiti that comes with it.

The homes were still selling good in my area, and it was time to get out. So we did. We were very fortunate that our house sold in just 3 days, and for over $7K above asking price. That was a huge relief. I doubt that will continue. Especially with what the pandemic is doing to the economy. If our old neighborhood crashes again, like it did in 2008 / 2009, it's not going to come back.

Housing prices in Lake Havasu City are rising very fast. The home we just purchased 9 months ago has risen over $24K on Zillow. And that will most likely continue. Because people from California are cashing out on high housing prices there. As well as retired people moving here from the Midwest. Both are driving up the price of homes here.

[mod cut]

Last edited by volosong; 07-20-2020 at 05:03 PM.. Reason: no politics

Old 05-01-2020, 07:51 AM

32,804 posts, read 42,763,386 times
I bought where I did to get away from growth that was occurring in Ahwatukee where I previously bought to get away from growth in my Phoenix neighborhood. Social distancing is in my DNA. There were only about a dozen homes in Estrella when I moved here, and though there were also zero services like restaurants, gas stations, doctors, etc. it was heaven. Of course, now it is wall to wall humanity and no longer much different than any hood in the metro. There''s a lesson in that: you can run buy you can't hide from growth in Phoenix. Even if you buy an acre or so and have horses in the backyard, they will build homes all around you and eventually you will be stuck at redlights or in traffic jams no matter where you go.

Old 05-01-2020, 08:06 AM

139 posts, read 39,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
.... There''s a lesson in that: you can run buy you can't hide from growth in Phoenix. Even if you buy an acre or so and have horses in the backyard, they will build homes all around you and eventually you will be stuck at redlights or in traffic jams no matter where you go.
That's another reason we chose Lake Havasu over just moving further west, like several of my neighbors did. Much like Californian's ended up doing, which was riding the wave east until Palm Springs has become an almost suburb of L.A. Phoenix is growing westward. So now if you move out to Verrado or even Tonapah, in another 15 or 20 years, you'll be surrounded by humanity.

While Lake Havasu has doubled over the last 30 years, it's growth is limited by the desert, along with the BLM land that surrounds it. And it's not some place people "pass through". You have to drive out of your way to get here. 20 miles south off I-40. Or 90 miles north from I-10. Now, I'm as far west as I can live, and still be in Arizona.... Unless I want to live on a houseboat.

Old 05-01-2020, 08:07 AM

3,355 posts, read 3,146,156 times
South Chandler: Schools, proximity to work (now negligible) and access to shopping/dining. Both the wife and I want to move as it is getting congested and crowded down here now but...the kids are established with friends and schools after 13 years in the same area so it will be 5 years or so before we make any changes.

Old 05-01-2020, 10:34 AM

22,301 posts, read 8,833,149 times
Downtown Phoenix, for convenience to almost anywhere we'd need to be in the valley

Old 05-01-2020, 11:28 AM

3,908 posts, read 7,691,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KurtAZ View Post
South Chandler: Schools, proximity to work (now negligible) and access to shopping/dining. Both the wife and I want to move as it is getting congested and crowded down here now but...the kids are established with friends and schools after 13 years in the same area so it will be 5 years or so before we make any changes.
Same area of Chandler:

I like the area for the schools, green landscaping with lots of community lakes (not a fan of desert/desert mountains), parks, safety, high quality youth sports, large houses on larger than average lots, educated neighbors, access to any shopping or dining I desire.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area