Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2020, 01:19 PM

7 posts, read 8,084 times

Advertisements

We are looking to retire in/near Phoenix—Tucson area and found some lots on golf courses, but all have their backyard/views south and south-west even straight west. We are not planning for a pool so... Anybody with real life experience (having that exposure)...is it really bad or?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2020, 01:28 PM

586 posts, read 535,715 times
Imo it depends on if you plan to stay for the summer. North and east backyard makes summer more bearable while South and west backyard makes winter a little warmer. For the golf course aspect I would not want to be 180 to 220 yards from a tee box. If house is already built check for ballmarks.

Old 05-02-2020, 04:01 PM

942 posts, read 2,505,999 times
We've had N/S and E/W. To us it matters little as hot is hot and we spend minimal time in our yard during the summer.

Old 05-02-2020, 04:14 PM

38,952 posts, read 50,866,357 times
I have a south facing backyard on a desert preserve/hill. South is OK in summer as the sun is high in the sky and the patio is shaded. In winter though, the low sun angle can be blinding mid day. We have solar shades/drapes which makes it better. I think I would avoid west facing at all costs. North is cold in winter and never sunny, I had that too once. My favorite is east. Morning sun/afternoon shade.

That said, we like the poster above don't spend much time outside on summer days other than maybe in the pool for a few minutes a couple times per year. N/S/E/W all of it is too hot to enjoy in the day. At night it doesn't matter.

Old 05-02-2020, 04:17 PM

7 posts, read 8,084 times
Eventually year 'round home. No too worried about golf balls, not being able to use back yard in summer and exposure to high winds has us a bit concerned. Sorry to say but we don't trust the opinion of real estate agents and selling home owners. At this point its a NO for us.

Old 05-02-2020, 04:47 PM

3,111 posts, read 2,933,371 times
Golf courses can be huge money pits. They tend to be operated by bands of travelling gypsies. They also attract various kinds of rif-raff once the sun sets..people sneaking on the course for a few holes, immigrant families trying to catch their dinner out if the ponds, golf ball dealers..The golfers rarely take responsibility for their often terrible shots, too. I will never forget the massive bump on a neighbor's forehead, after he took one off a pavement bounce. Assessor will be happy to mark your lot as on a golf course, and your taxes will be higher.

Old 05-04-2020, 12:32 AM

639 posts, read 964,492 times
We face n/s with the south side toward the golf course. No issues with people on the course who shouldn’t be. The summers are hot but it’s AZ so...

We spend almost all day every weekend outside in the pool. We like the heat, it’s the entire reason we live here. Golf balls, we’ve gotten 11 in the 18 months we’ve lived in this house. Mainly during snowbird season, hardly any the rest of the year. I think a lot depends exactly where on the course you are situated. We back to the first hole, so mainly people are just putting. I’d be more concerned to back to other areas of the course. It’s definitely something to consider.

Old 05-04-2020, 07:46 AM

3,816 posts, read 9,399,296 times
Probably not a huge issue, but what happens on the off chance the golf course goes out of business? Have read a few people's accounts about having a golf course view lot. Then it turns to brown scrub when it goes under, followed by houses or condos being built on the course.

I've seen a few of the courses that went under in the Phoenix area and they are not attractive.

Old 05-04-2020, 04:08 PM

6,647 posts, read 4,935,395 times
As far as the compass point question goes, having the backyard to the west is the worst. Southwest is not much better IMO. Backyard straight south is generally okay; the floorplan of the house matters a bit but most homes here have the big windows off living areas tucked under a patio so they get little or no direct sunlight in the summer.

Old 05-04-2020, 04:56 PM

322 posts, read 240,480 times
I have a Golf Course view in a Robson gated community. my backyard faces East. I get the morning sun which it gone by 10:00 am. Plus I have a wrap around patio cover which also helps. As this is a 55+ Community that offers Amenities (Pool, Gym, Grill Restaurant with bar, Clubhouse w/show venues, Arts & crafts rooms, 3 - 9 hole Golf courses, walking trails, fishing, private security patrol, etc), I'm not worried about the course closing or unauthorized visitors. In fact, they're still building new homes and just opened another section. But I also pay about $215 a month for those amenities (which I think is worth it to live in a nice community with a lot to do).

I lived in a house that had a back yard facing west in the past. Every afternoon the sun would bake on my house and backyard. I decided I'd never do that again. Nor have the afternoon sun on my master bedroom. I didn't like trying to cool the room down when It was time for bed.

When I was looking at other houses on the Golf Course before I bought mine, my Realtor showed me the divets from golf balls in the stucco. I found a house at the end of a hole that dog legs right. So no one hits behind me. But I can see the flag from my living room & kitchen window.

The good thing about Golf course lots is you will always have a decent view. My neighbors desert views are about to turn into future home sites, as Robson has plans to build homes behind them. I decided two years ago that any future house I buy will have a back yard view. I don't want to spend the remainder of my days starring at a brick wall.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area