Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2008, 11:34 AM

42,831 posts, read 88,156,261 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolagirl View Post
On the school zone topic, do you know what hours they are in effect, I've heard it's 24/7, is that true?
What I'd like to know is why everybody's creeping at 5 m/h when the limit is 15! Also would love to know why apparently school buses are exempt from emissions control.

Oh, and something else - what sense does it make to creep around schools when they're actually IN SESSION, meaning the kids are NOT out! I'm more likely to kill somebody when constantly looking down my speedometer as opposed to looking at the street!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2008, 12:54 PM

1,484 posts, read 3,139,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
What I'd like to know is why everybody's creeping at 5 m/h when the limit is 15!
Just a thought but maybe they are actually concerned about the safety of the children in their community and not worried about getting to work an extra 20 seconds early.

Old 04-30-2008, 01:36 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,342,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungle View Post
Just a thought but maybe they are actually concerned about the safety of the children in their community and not worried about getting to work an extra 20 seconds early.
What a thought you present Bungle. Are you saying that people should maybe leave a little early for work so that this isn't an issue? What a thought. What will the women do with those in car makeup kits that allow you to drive while they put on there mask? Chances are they won't need them because they will have done all that at home and can now take it easy and drive a little slower thru the school zones. What about the men? They will be amazed by the gas that they will be saving because they won't be speeding. Another thing is people will be more at ease when they arrive at work, because they didn't have to speed to get there.

Old 04-30-2008, 02:53 PM

8,042 posts, read 12,263,367 times
Quote:
What I'd like to know is why everybody's creeping at 5 m/h when the limit is 15! Also would love to know why apparently school buses are exempt from emissions control.

Oh, and something else - what sense does it make to creep around schools when they're actually IN SESSION, meaning the kids are NOT out! I'm more likely to kill somebody when constantly looking down my speedometer as opposed to looking at the street!
Excellent points, Sierra! I usually try to avoid driving through school zones at all possibilities because they are so slow and restrictive. I've heard that a person can actually be cited for criminal speeding if he/she is driving at the regular speed limit through a 15 MPH zone with the signs in place. Does that make sense at 1:00 in the afternoon when kids are supposed to be in class?!

Quote:
Just a thought, but perhaps they should protect their own children, and quit insisting on stupid laws that force traffic to crawl along at ridiculously slow speeds.

Old 04-30-2008, 03:39 PM

13,212 posts, read 21,827,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hark View Post
My 17 year-old son just got a ticket for going 21 in a 15MPH school zone. The problem is there is no school within a mile in every direction. The normal posted speed limit is 30MPH.
If there were no children present, why was your son only going 21 MPH in a 30 MPH zone? It sounds like there's more to the story here.

Regardless, if you feel that the ticket wasn't fair, simply request a court date and take the issue up with the judge.

Old 04-30-2008, 05:07 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,156,261 times
Quote:
I didn't say I feel like killing children. Just said that the limit is 15 m/h.

Old 04-30-2008, 06:26 PM

9,601 posts, read 31,698,363 times
Quote:
Sorry, Bungle . . . COMMON SENSE is not allowed.

Old 05-01-2008, 12:06 AM

190 posts, read 571,016 times
I have a little more sympathy for the OP. It's easy to get these types of tickets. You may have no intention of speeding but like most of us, you are driving to work and thinking about your upcoming day and before you know it, you are going 40 in a 15 mph zone. My advice is to purchase a radar detector. The cheapest ones cost about $60 and they are well worth it. The more expensive ones provide even better coverage and filter signals better. I too don't get these holier-than-thou criticis who feel you are trying to kill children if you are caught accidentally speeding in a school zone. Not everyone is trying to deliberately speed and make it to work 5 minutes faster. I don't enjoy speeding because it's not worth the risk of causing injury to myself or others just to save 5 minutes. However, it's pretty easy to get a ticket in a school zone.

Old 05-01-2008, 12:29 AM

190 posts, read 571,016 times
Quote:
What I'd like to know is why everybody's creeping at 5 m/h when the limit is 15!
I understand your frustration. This is the same state in which people will remain in the left lane despite seeing multitudes of cars passing them on the right. The other day, a car made a complete stop on a green light to turn right and was actualy looking left to see if there was oncoming traffic despite it being green for the past 10 seconds. People also don't know how to merge onto freeways. There are two types of bad drivers, the aggressive LA drivers and the morons who don't understand the traffic laws. Guess which ones Arizona tends to have a lot of.

Old 05-01-2008, 02:01 AM

10,447 posts, read 49,655,984 times
We are missing some information here. First off there is no such thing as an implied speed limit. Speed limits are not there to protect the public. They are there as revenue raisers and the city makes damn sure all signs are clear and leave no doubt if some one wanted to challenge one.

Again, you are missing telling us something. You said there are signs that post 30. If you were in a school zone there will be signs saying the lower limit and what time of day that is in effect. In addition there would most likely be blinking 15MPH yellow lights if it is a busy street. Side streets will just have the sign saying 15MPH from 7AM to 8:30 AM and 3PM to 4:30 PM.

No matter what the deal is, you have a better chance of winning the pick 6 lotto 10 consecutive drawings in a row before you beat a ticket.

I think I saw you are in Phoenix. They also have those Ticket Crusher people there. What they do is go to court for you usually for $200 or so. In the end they guarantee you the ticket will be reduced to a parking ticket with no points and no rise in your insurance. You should see these guys, who are lawyers, advertising everywhere. The oinks hate them but they are the motorists best friend.

Speeding in a school zone is double the points and fine usually. Like I said. Revenue raisers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area