Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2008, 11:00 PM

399 posts, read 554,567 times

Advertisements

Phoenix summers aren't that bad anymore. I guess after living in Arizona for 9 years you get used to it.

Call me cruel, but...I had a friend from Chicago come visit us in Arizona to stay for a week. In July. When we picked him up at PNX Airport.
He then went outside, and gasped for breath. And started crying, moaning why was it so hot. He was actually sobbing with tears coming out of his face.
He was so miserable for the whole time he was there because of the weather. He stayed in the house most of the week. It was really funny..

And it wasn't even that hot that week either! Lol

Old 05-09-2008, 11:35 PM
YAZ

7,708 posts, read 14,086,783 times

The first summer is the hardest. After that , it's a cakewalk.

You get used to it.

My wife, leaving the terminal at Detroit Metro Airport at Christmastime:

"It's so cold that it hurts to breathe".

Me:

"After the first year, ya get used to it".

I really don't think that she'd get used to scraping the windshield twice a day for 5 months. Or shoveling the driveway, cuz if she makes me move back there, I sure as hell ain't gonna be doing it.

Old 05-10-2008, 07:32 AM

58 posts, read 147,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stilldirrty View Post
Phoenix summers aren't that bad anymore. I guess after living in Arizona for 9 years you get used to it.

Call me cruel, but...I had a friend from Chicago come visit us in Arizona to stay for a week. In July. When we picked him up at PNX Airport.
He then went outside, and gasped for breath. And started crying, moaning why was it so hot. He was actually sobbing with tears coming out of his face.
He was so miserable for the whole time he was there because of the weather. He stayed in the house most of the week. It was really funny..

And it wasn't even that hot that week either! Lol
there had to be some other issues with your friend. I hear Chicago summers are no walk in the park weather wise.

Old 05-10-2008, 08:03 AM

4,250 posts, read 10,451,037 times
I tolerate the heat fairly well, but that doesn't mean I like it 24/7. I've only had the air on a few times so far and then I leave it so close to 80. 78 is cool to me, at least at first. As time goes by it isn't and I find that thermostat nudging downward.

Once it gets really hot, I don't even bother to pay attention to temperatures. It's HOT so why bother.

Biggest problem is being trapped indoors somewhere for so long and it seems unending - the inverse of the cold where I grew up. Malls don't cut it for me and I find it to be freezing in a lot of offices and restaurants. I usually just bring a sweater and then everything is fine.

I've lived in both San Diego and San Francisco and I DO regret coming here. I can't leave for at least another year. The thing that saves me is these great dreams I have often at night where I'm in SF or some place far away from here Just woke up from one. It was great...

Old 05-10-2008, 08:30 AM

54,496 posts, read 33,866,725 times
I was born and raised in Phoenix and spent most of my life here. Yes it's hot in the summer, but that should be expected for a desert region.

Like somebody else mentioned, people's opinions will differ on when it gets hot. For me, it's usually from mid/late May, until the early part of October. Even at 105 degrees, when there's no humidity, it's not as miserable as it sounds. There will be days when the temperature will exceed 115 degrees, and they're usually in July, but they're not that many, usually about 10-14 days, and the high temperature rarely exceeds 118, and those are usually the times when it's not uncommon to see 100 degrees at 10:00 PM.

This time of the year, people usually anticipate and like to predict when the high temperature will hit 100 degrees for the first time during the year and so far, we haven't seen 100 degrees yet. Also, this time of year, we usually get a mixture of warm and cool days, and it's nice and cool at night and in the morning.

Old 05-10-2008, 09:28 AM

3,632 posts, read 16,167,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA_Dreaming View Post
there had to be some other issues with your friend. I hear Chicago summers are no walk in the park weather wise.
In one of my previous posts I wrote about how the dry intense heat slaps you in the face when you leave the airport for the first time. It really does happen that way and I can understand this person's friend from Chicago.

Old 05-10-2008, 10:34 AM

162 posts, read 543,227 times
About a month ago (14-17 April) we were in PHX trying to find a place to rent. We're moving in about 2 weeks from Nebraska.

The first two days while in town, the high temp was right around 100 deg. It was 2pm and we found ourselves having lunch outside under a shaded area. It honestly felt like 80 degrees and was very comfortable.

Can't speak for everyone, and have never lived in PHX, but in Nebraska when it gets to 100 in July, it is absolutely unbearable. You would never be able to have lunch outside.

Now, i'm sure it will get hotter and be unbearable, but the heat seems much different, likely due to humidity differences.

Old 05-10-2008, 11:01 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,384,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stilldirrty View Post
Either this story is complete BS or your friend has some serious issues.

Old 05-10-2008, 11:03 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,384,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA_Dreaming View Post
Minus the 10 days we average above 90 degrees, summers here are about perfect... 75-85 degrees, sometimes in the 60s and low 70s. Humidity comes and goes, but its so much easier to cope here than in PHX during summer, at least it is for me.

Old 05-10-2008, 11:52 AM

3,819 posts, read 11,942,828 times
[quote=dbean;3724571]

The first two days while in town, the high temp was right around 100 deg. It was 2pm and we found ourselves having lunch outside under a shaded area. It honestly felt like 80 degrees and was very comfortable.
QUOTE]

It probably way 80 because it hasn't hit 100 yet this year.

I think the highest we've had so far is 95-96 degrees.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area