Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2008, 02:31 AM

Location: 5 miles from the center of the universe-The Superstition Mountains
1,084 posts, read 5,771,843 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitram View Post
We live near a Trader Joe's, Fry's, Safeway, Albertsons, Basha's, and Sprouts.
Trader Joes averages 20% higher in prices than most grocers, plus they have a limited selection.
Fry's has the overall best prices, but lousy service.
Safeway and Albertson's average about the same price wise.
Basha's is highest overall along with their upscale AJ stores. Basha's is locally owned.
Sprouts is very limited and runs hot and cold with quality. Prices are so so.
Most of these grocers get their supplies from the same common distributors. It's their ad specials on a weekly basis that sets them apart competively.
The quality of their meats depends on their meat staff. Bashas near us has a great meat dept. Safeway has a good dependable meat dept also. Albertson's runs hot and cold. Safeway has ribs to die for. AJ's has premium quality overall food that you pay more for.
Milk seems to be the competive war price. Trader Joe's is always $3.29 gal. This week Basha's has milk at $1.99 gal and Fry's is $1.00 for 1/2 gal.
In general it's a crap shoot, you have to watch the ad's and use your coupons. Everybody's household needs and wants differ.
The quality of service varies from store to store, with the exception of Safeway who has a steady Customer Service program that is uniform throughout their stores.
We definitely think alike on grocery shopping. We are close to Basha's, Walmart, Fry's Albertson's, and Safeway. In our area Basha's has the best steaks. Since all are within 4 miles of the house, we 'follow' the sales in the Wed paper. Usually Basha's has the lowest price on milk. Walmart always blows the others away on our coffee, detergents and other household goods but never has the best price on milk. Fry's has the cheapest gas and enough sale items to go there at least every other week when I need to fill up. Albertsons has been getting very competitive lately on dry goods and the last time I was there I also got a discount coupon for 30 gallons of gasoline that saved me over seven bucks. Safeway used to have great meats here but that stopped and they're now the most expensive overall. They've been bring up the rear for several years now. Within a year we'll also have a Super Target within 1/2 mile. Unfortunately there's a Dollar Store being built on the other side of the intersection-there goes the neighborhood. I miss Smitty's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2008, 11:12 AM

14,530 posts, read 19,986,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitram View Post
I said most grocers.
Trader Joe's is the highest priced of all the grocers.
Oh no, no, no!!! Whole Foods Market is the highest priced of all the grocers. You have 7 of them in Phoenix greater area. I like them too but I buy more stuff at Trader Joe's. And you'll never find anybody who competes with Trader Joe's for economical wine prices. And many of TJ's prices beat supermarket prices or are better quality for same price, like olive oil for example (better quality, better price).

I'm basing the comparison on Trader Joe's vs. Whole Foods Markets in Los Angeles. I'm considering relocation to Phoenix, and both stores are positive factors for me in comparing Phoenix to various other possible cities to move to.

Old 05-08-2008, 02:37 PM

639 posts, read 2,700,786 times
Fry's and Ralphs are actually owned by Kroger.

Fry's has the best prices and decent meat selection. I hate how not all fry's carry boarshead, their private select brand is horrible.

I miss Stop & Shop from back east.

Old 05-08-2008, 02:42 PM

4,250 posts, read 10,422,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
No such equivalent deals. Fetzer: 7-8. Two Buck Chuck: 2. Both are equally good IMO.
The headache factor and clean factor makes them equivalent, all things considered. I mean, do you want to save a few bucks and feel like crap the next day or not do your Starbucks coffee?

BTW, you really are talking to an "expert" here.

Old 05-10-2008, 09:16 PM

14 posts, read 71,251 times
For me, Frys is the best. They usually are the best staffed and have the items on sale. I usually am very pleased with their prices and service.

Old 05-10-2008, 09:58 PM

14,530 posts, read 19,986,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movin'on View Post
The headache factor and clean factor makes them equivalent, all things considered. I mean, do you want to save a few bucks and feel like crap the next day or not do your Starbucks coffee?

BTW, you really are talking to an "expert" here.
Well I'm sorry Mr. Expert but I've never had a headache from either. Wines aren't like hard spirits with their congeners. [font=verdana,geneva,arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Brandy is worst for hangovers, then in descending order are: red wine, rum, whisky, white wine, gin and vodka. I drink primarily white wines which are fairly down the list. I've never had a hangover unless I drank over a full bottle, which is something I do not recommend, nor do I practice in.

For example:

Moderator cut: copyright

Quote:
The connoisseurs may cringe, the snobs may even sob, but the judges have spoken: California's best chardonnay costs less than $3.

Charles Shaw Chardonnay, better known as "Two Buck Chuck," beat hundreds of other wines and was named the top prize in a prestigious tasting competition in California.

"The characteristics that we look for in our gold medal winner … a nice creamy butter, fruity … it was a delight to taste," said 2007 California State Fair Commercial Wine Competition judge Michael Williams.

The affordable wine beat out 350 other California chardonnays to win the double gold. Second place went to an $18 bottle, and the most expensive wines at the event, at the price of $55, didn't even medal.

To find this prize winner, you need not go to a fancy wine shop or elite retailer. Charles Shaw Chardonnay is mass produced in California and only sold through the quirky Trader Joe's grocery stores.

full article at ABC News.com
"Two Buck Chuck" AKA Charles Shaw wines as sold at Trader Joe's Markets wins top honors in California wine competition! Hmmm. I've bought probably about 20 cases (maybe) of TBC Chadonnay in the last 1-2 years. I don't rate it that highly but it serves for me as my daily plonk!

Actually I like TJ's Black Mountain Vineyards chardonnay better at mmmmm... about $4 or so per bottle! Twice the price and twice as nice!

Two Buck Chuck less than $3? Hell, it's less than $2!!! [$1.99/750ml bottle]

Take that and stick it in your decanter, Mr. Expert. BTW you're talking to somebody who doesn't have an inflated head here.

Last edited by sablebaby; 05-12-2008 at 02:25 PM.. Reason: cannot use images that are not yours, sorry

Old 05-11-2008, 11:32 AM

21,144 posts, read 41,996,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twiggy View Post
There are a lot of Trader Joe's so your in luck here. Fresh n easy is called Fresh and stinky at my house, the kids hate it. I like Fry's Market Place. They are on almost every corner so you won't have a problem. I don't do walmart, I do do Tarjay. Our Walmart stinks, really smells terrible, I can't even buy food there. lol Welcome to the valley.
I agree about Wal-Mart and Target as well.

Old 05-11-2008, 11:39 AM

21,144 posts, read 41,996,054 times
Me:

I like Albertsons, Costco, Target, and that is about it.

Food City=ghetto
I am not impressed with AJ's nor with Trader Joes either to be honest.
Wal-Mart I avoid except in an emergency. Sam's Club I also avoid due to it Wal-Mart connection.
Some Frys/Bashas stores are OK but others leave something toe be desired.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area