Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2020, 11:14 AM

4,619 posts, read 9,219,871 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
Local delivery person? I drive a semi tractor pulling a 40 ft tanker. Not any shmoe can do it. I make $65k per year and fiancee also works, earning $32k per year with a raise coming next month. I busted ass to get where I am now, to find bettering yourself getting you just treading water tells you why more people voted for Biden rather than tRump, and why more and more people are getting disillusioned with capitalism. Work hard and better yourself for almost nothing in return.....
It's not a politics issue (and I voted for Biden too), it's your income. Adding your salaries together you could probably afford a mortgage in the $300k range with today's rates, that will drop if rates go up. If you took a risk to start your own tanker truck company, you'd expect to make more money, you're not in it to give clients inexpensive delivery. If I take a risk to buy rentals, I'm doing to make money, not to provide an affordable housing service

Old 12-09-2020, 11:19 AM

1,615 posts, read 1,217,569 times
Quote:
Local delivery person? I drive a semi tractor pulling a 40 ft tanker. Not any shmoe can do it. I make $65k per year and fiancee also works, earning $32k per year with a raise coming next month. I busted ass to get where I am now, to find bettering yourself getting you just treading water tells you why more people voted for Biden rather than tRump, and why more and more people are getting disillusioned with capitalism. Work hard and better yourself for almost nothing in return.....
Man, you have some very high expectations for what you think you deserve. Most first-time homebuyers aren't able to buy in a centrally located, prime area.

Actually, here's a better idea. Tell me where you work. Not exactly, but general cross streets. I promise I'll be able to find you an affordable place to buy that is within a reasonable commute. What I can't promise you is that it will be in the best, most safe, hipster area, unfortunately. There has to be some give and take with you - everything in life can't stack up in your favor all the time. It's not how it works.

Old 12-09-2020, 11:22 AM

445 posts, read 395,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo101 View Post
The company which bought the property probably pay more than what it costs the seller,and it has to pay interest for the loan .
can you get a room mate?
Thanks. The main story is not about me. It was literally a review of a person who had this happen to them 3 months ago. I'm actually fine and I have no issues at the moment. Knock on wood.

The whole point of the thread was about her experience but a lot of people think I'm writing about myself.

I'm actually considering a move to either Charleston, SC (loved it after seeing it on "Southern Charm" or Charlotte, NC) when my lease is up. I'm over the fantasy of living out West. I can't afford it anymore. Charleston looks like something out of a Mary Poppins movie and has a vibrant city life, but now with Covid, I believe that city has changed drastically and I've read that it is quite expensive now for middle America. Only the rich can afford it. Sort of like what is starting to happen here in Phoenix. For what it's worth, I was told by somebody that had been to both cities that I would like Charlotte much better.

Old 12-09-2020, 11:23 AM

9,189 posts, read 16,535,224 times
Quote:
If you have a household income of nearly $100k, you should be able to buy a starter home without issue. No one ever said that renting is a way to get ahead. It's typically a stepping stone. Rather than complaining about your situation, do something about it. Buy a place and start building equity.

Old 12-09-2020, 11:24 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,430,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sno0909 View Post
Man, you have some very high expectations for what you think you deserve. Most first-time homebuyers aren't able to buy in a centrally located, prime area.

Actually, here's a better idea. Tell me where you work. Not exactly, but general cross streets. I promise I'll be able to find you an affordable place to buy that is within a reasonable commute. What I can't promise you is that it will be in the best, most safe, hipster area, unfortunately. There has to be some give and take with you - everything in life can't stack up in your favor all the time. It's not how it works.
Work is off 43rd Ave&Elwood St. Only homes in my price range with a reasonable commute are in Estrella or Laveen. Forget that, would rather rent

Old 12-09-2020, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
If you have a household income of nearly $100k, you should be able to buy a starter home without issue. No one ever said that renting is a way to get ahead. It's typically a stepping stone. Rather than complaining about your situation, do something about it. Buy a place and start building equity.
Then I add a one hour or more commute to my 12 to 14 hr work day. That would leave me 4 hrs to sleep. Can't do it

Old 12-09-2020, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asufan View Post
It's not a politics issue (and I voted for Biden too), it's your income. Adding your salaries together you could probably afford a mortgage in the $300k range with today's rates, that will drop if rates go up. If you took a risk to start your own tanker truck company, you'd expect to make more money, you're not in it to give clients inexpensive delivery. If I take a risk to buy rentals, I'm doing to make money, not to provide an affordable housing service
$65k is not a poor income for this area. The median (note: not average) worker in Maricopa County earns less than $30k per year. This isn't DC or the Bay Area where 6 figure salaries are like weeds

Old 12-09-2020, 11:35 AM

9,189 posts, read 16,535,224 times
Quote:
Then I add a one hour or more commute to my 12 to 14 hr work day. That would leave me 4 hrs to sleep. Can't do it
Yeah, I get that. Still though, for around $300k, which should be plenty doable with your income, you should be able to buy something just about anywhere in the valley. It may not be ideal, but most people's first place isn't. The key is getting into the market and using your first place to build equity.

Old 12-09-2020, 11:37 AM

4,619 posts, read 9,219,871 times
Quote:
$65k is not a poor income for this area. The median (note: not average) worker in Maricopa County earns less than $30k per year. This isn't DC or the Bay Area where 6 figure salaries are like weeds
I never said it was a poor income, I said your household income could afford about a $300,000 mortgage. While the income isn't extremely low, it's not necessarily going to buy you everything you want, so you have an income issue.

Old 12-09-2020, 11:37 AM

445 posts, read 395,548 times
Quote:
Not really, not when rent growth and purchase price growth exceed wage growth. That just makes the population poorer in real terms
Exactly. Very good point. Wages have not increased one bit while the rents are skyrocketing.

The high and mighty keep drinking the Kool Aid and attack the little guy. It is not good for society. It leaves many people in the pit of hell struggling to make ends meet while a small minority enjoy the high life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area