Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2010, 10:12 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,394,564 times

Advertisements

Well, the problem with the post, aside from it reviving a dead thread started by a specific person planning a move two years ago, is that it really wasn't responsive to the original post, and really had very little to do with Ahwahtukee, but was really just a second general slam of Arizona/Phoenix area in general. and some specific people this person had encountered. This thread wasn't started to be yet another "slam (insert location here) thread, and it served its purpose two years ago.

And, there's a difference between reviving an old thread to ask a question about a city (doing a search first IS the best way to approach that to start with, and then asking any questions that haven't been answered by the search, which may yield both current and older information) and reviving an old thread for a mostly off topic rant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2010, 11:17 PM

103 posts, read 229,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surf Ryder View Post
We recently relocated to Phoenix and live in Ahwatukee. I can honestly say that I have never met more unfriendly people in my life. I'm from the south and I always thought that folks from NY and NJ were unfriendly. Not true, they just have a faster pace lifestyle. Ahwatukee has them beat hands down. I have had 3 occasions where I have waived at a neighbor and they actually turned their head and looked away. This morning I saw a lady who actually had a lemon in her moth that she was sucking on... ur.. allegedly.

I love the middle school. However, the elementary school is so different then what we are used to.

I have had 2 incidents of road rage in one day. One I actually reported to the police.

In adition to not liking Ahwatukee, I have experiences with service providers, retailers, teachers and parent volunteers which their follow through on commitments is as poor as I have ever seen. People just don't feel the need to do what they say there were going to do. It is really disappointing and frustrating. I don't think I should have to follow up with people 5 times to get them to follow through.

Okay, I'm off of my soap box, however, I will say that if my middleschooler did not love her school so much I would be headed out of her as fast as I can.
I have a feeling it's you and not all these "unfriendly's" you'v mentioned. I've lived here 16 years and find people quite friendly here. there are isolated incidents of course but on the whole people are curteous and very nice.
An attitude change would probablyl help you quite a bit.

Old 10-30-2010, 11:07 AM

294 posts, read 989,104 times
Quote:
We recently relocated to Phoenix and live in Ahwatukee. I can honestly say that I have never met more unfriendly people in my life. I'm from the south and I always thought that folks from NY and NJ were unfriendly. Not true, they just have a faster pace lifestyle. Ahwatukee has them beat hands down. I have had 3 occasions where I have waived at a neighbor and they actually turned their head and looked away. This morning I saw a lady who actually had a lemon in her moth that she was sucking on... ur.. allegedly.

I love the middle school. However, the elementary school is so different then what we are used to.

I have had 2 incidents of road rage in one day. One I actually reported to the police.

In adition to not liking Ahwatukee, I have experiences with service providers, retailers, teachers and parent volunteers which their follow through on commitments is as poor as I have ever seen. People just don't feel the need to do what they say there were going to do. It is really disappointing and frustrating. I don't think I should have to follow up with people 5 times to get them to follow through.

Okay, I'm off of my soap box, however, I will say that if my middleschooler did not love her school so much I would be headed out of her as fast as I can.
I once visited Toronto, Canada and the lady at the car rental counter snapped at me and when i proceeded to leave the airport the person in front of me failed to hold the door open. I never met so many rude, incosiderate people in my life so i turned around and boarded the next plane for home. I quicky learned that ALL candians are bad mannered and vulgar. Thank you for letting me get that off my chest.

Old 10-30-2010, 11:41 AM

3,391 posts, read 7,158,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedreamteam View Post
I once visited Toronto, Canada and the lady at the car rental counter snapped at me and when i proceeded to leave the airport the person in front of me failed to hold the door open. I never met so many rude, incosiderate people in my life so i turned around and boarded the next plane for home. I quicky learned that ALL candians are bad mannered and vulgar. Thank you for letting me get that off my chest.
Irony, right? Clever!

Old 10-30-2010, 11:55 AM

660 posts, read 1,397,173 times
Hey, give the complainers a break! If we only are allowed to read the good side of things, there will be a lot more complainers who expected to find paradise based on only reading the complementary posts!

As for myself, I've experienced that same type of neighborhood rudeness and lack of business acumen in plenty of places besides the Phoenix area so it's not exclusive. I think the world in general is changing and manners/politeness have gone the way of chivalry as our population grows/assimilates to create more competition and stress. JMO!

Old 10-31-2010, 11:45 PM

4 posts, read 4,490 times
Well thanks for the slams. Just for the record someone failed to yield at a stop sign to day and when he drove past flipped me the bird. You know, that last post is probably right. With the state of the economy today there are some folks that are down and out and that is probably causing a great deal of stress among folks. Oh and that's right Phoenix has probably the worst hit housing market in the country due to the "reckless" choices by "speculators" who were buying 3 and 4 homes prior to the bubble bursting. Ouch!

Old 11-01-2010, 01:43 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,394,564 times
Quote:
Well thanks for the slams. Just for the record someone failed to yield at a stop sign to day and when he drove past flipped me the bird. You know, that last post is probably right. With the state of the economy today there are some folks that are down and out and that is probably causing a great deal of stress among folks. Oh and that's right Phoenix has probably the worst hit housing market in the country due to the "reckless" choices by "speculators" who were buying 3 and 4 homes prior to the bubble bursting. Ouch!
"Just for the record", you got flipped a bird by a driver who failed to yield. I'm not sure what "record", but what does that incident have to do with Ahwatukee as opposed to any of thousands of other places? You don't like it here in AZ. We get that. Your "bird" incident happens every day, all over the country. Your two "rude" neighbors may have moved from NY or NJ (or who knows where). The person who flipped you off may not even LIVE in Ahwatukee. I don't judge an entire city (or area large enough to be a small city on its own) by the barometer you've used.

Every state/city has its actual faults, and no place is for everyone. Perhaps what would work out best for you is to go back to the South, that may be where you'd be happiest.

Old 11-01-2010, 05:04 PM

4 posts, read 4,490 times
Okay, so maybe I used this post to help me validate my feelings for the area I have moved and vented a little more than necessary. And maybe you have taken this way to personal. I think I'm done with this thread and can't believe that I have spent this much time on this topic. The good news is that I have recently found a few different groups of folks who have validated my observations and share the exact same concerns so that makes me feel so much better.

I do like the area, I think it is beautiful and I'm able to give my kids a new perspective and new learnings they would not have gotten on the east coast. You know it is funny that 75% of the friends I have met are of a different ethnicity than my own. I don't think that is a coincidence considering the elitist attitude from most folks I have come in contact with.

Shucks, I recon we done beat this horse to death. I'm fix'n to sit down at that supper table and get my grub on cause I'm so hungry I could eat the south end of a north bound hours, you know what I'm talk'n bout right? Them kids better mind their manners or I'll have to give them a talk'n to.

I'm out.

Old 11-01-2010, 06:41 PM

3,391 posts, read 7,158,736 times
Quote:
Okay, so maybe I used this post to help me validate my feelings for the area I have moved and vented a little more than necessary.
Sorry your feelings weren't sufficently validated. I hear Dr. Phil has a nightly show. Check him out.

Old 11-01-2010, 08:21 PM

418 posts, read 1,311,763 times
Quote:
Okay, so maybe I used this post to help me validate my feelings for the area I have moved and vented a little more than necessary.
If you would read post #18 of this thread, you will understand the power that is in the word Ahwatukee. Just say it slowly 10 times out loud and all your cares and woes will disappear.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area