Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2008, 02:48 PM

68 posts, read 334,245 times

Advertisements

We are moving this summer, currently in Gilbert. We like the area because of the safety, cleanliness and good schools. We may stay in Gilbert, but are considering areas of Chandler and possibly Ahwatukee- as it seems nice enough and is closer to my husband's area of employment.

It seems hard to find much info on this city/area- harder still to find rental homes. Can anyone tell me the basics on the area and if there are neighborhoods to avoid within it? School districts, etc?

Thanks in advance for any info!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2008, 04:14 PM

430 posts, read 1,409,942 times
Default I live in Ahwatukee

Quote:
Originally Posted by KK85297 View Post
We are moving this summer, currently in Gilbert. We like the area because of the safety, cleanliness and good schools. We may stay in Gilbert, but are considering areas of Chandler and possibly Ahwatukee- as it seems nice enough and is closer to my husband's area of employment.

It seems hard to find much info on this city/area- harder still to find rental homes. Can anyone tell me the basics on the area and if there are neighborhoods to avoid within it? School districts, etc?

I think its harder to find more rentals because its a pretty stable little community, the schools are excelling, people with kids tend to stay put here. Also, the property values have not dropped nearly as bad as other areas of Phoenix. there is a house that might have been abandoned in my neighborhood, not sure yet, the previous owners said they were goint to rent it out, but the landscapeing is not being cared for, and no one is coming around so, I don't know. I love Ahwatukee its so close to everything, that why I stay put.

Old 05-05-2008, 05:51 PM

687 posts, read 1,946,419 times
I lived in Ahwatukee from 1983 until 2 months ago. During my childhood, I watched it grow and grow and grow. Always a safe area. The schools I attended (Las Lomas Elementary, Centennial Middle, Mountain Pointe) were great and, if not for finding a really cool neighborhood in North Phoenix, I would have stayed. Most people in Ahwatukee stay put and, for the life of me, I can't figure out why anyone would want to live in Gilbert or Chandler instead. Ahwatukee can feel isolated, but you're really 15 minutes to everything worth going to.

If I had to pick a downside, it would be living along Ray Rd for a year. We had a great little apartment in a nice complex, but traffic on Ray can be horrendous in the morning. The other roads are less traveled or, in the case of Chandler Blvd, better equipped by comparison

Old 05-05-2008, 09:18 PM

2,039 posts, read 6,323,051 times
Default Ahwatukee is a GREAT choice!

Quote:

One of our best friends move to Ahwatukee from Scottsdale and they LOVE it. The schools seem pretty decent, it's family friendly and very safe. The homes are all in pretty decent shape, nearly every neighborhood is kept up and so on and so on. I would say that you're picking a really great place to live if you choose Ahwatukee. Other than the 5 o'clock traffic hour, it's really not so bad. And you know what? Traffic is bad EVERYWHERE in the valley at 5 o'clock, so I wouldn't sweat it. ENJOY!

PS - not sure about rentals, but call a few Realtors and try craigslist. Good Luck!

Old 05-06-2008, 02:41 PM

68 posts, read 334,245 times
Thanks for the input. It sounds very nice...I think we'll have to drive over and give it a look-see. The traffic issue concerns me somewhat- but it's hard to picture until I see it in person!

I appreciate the input

Old 05-06-2008, 03:05 PM

430 posts, read 1,409,942 times
Default Traffic is no worse then anywhere else.

Quote:
Thanks for the input. It sounds very nice...I think we'll have to drive over and give it a look-see. The traffic issue concerns me somewhat- but it's hard to picture until I see it in person!

I appreciate the input
Traffic is heavy at the usual times, rush hour, Fridays, and saturdays when everyone is out and about. Otherwise its fine.

Old 05-07-2008, 01:09 AM

267 posts, read 885,391 times
I don't live there, but I love driving through the area. I go to the FedEx Kinkos over there because it's the closest one to me and I love driving along 48th St. to get there. Very nice area.

Old 05-07-2008, 08:20 AM

1,123 posts, read 3,057,618 times
South Mountain is the mountain right there by Ahwatukee. It is the largest municipal park in the country! Miles and miles of hiking/biking trails.

Old 05-07-2008, 08:42 PM

919 posts, read 3,395,544 times
I could never live there because I couldn't spell it. Same thing with albaquerque!

Old 05-16-2008, 11:44 PM

1,963 posts, read 4,753,083 times
Quote:
Can anyone tell me the basics on the area and if there are neighborhoods to avoid within it? School districts, etc?

I have lived here for 12 years- we moved here from Maine and I had to decide between Gilbert and Ahwatukee. I have never regretted my decision

The schools are very good , both elementary ( Kyrene) and high school ( TUHSD). Shopping is close by and convenient. Hiking is awesome and neighborhoods are safe. Mountain Park Ranch is where I live. I find it more accessible than the Foothill.
You need to drive out here and check out the schools, public library and shops!
Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area