Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2008, 12:04 AM

1,216 posts, read 3,029,246 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sablebaby View Post
I don't know where the Pointe Tapatio comes in as that's on 7th street and this poster is looking at 19th ave. I know this area pretty well and it's not considered by many to be a fairly nice area. It's just ok. It's a lower income, older area. It's right at 19th ave and Cactus. The Safeway is at 19th ave and Thunderbird, so he'd have to up north for a mile to get there.

This area is just west of Moon Valley. Moon Valley is a nice area.

Just another FYI from someone who lives in Moon Valley, there is no Safeway at 19th Ave. and Thunderbird. It closed a few years ago. It is a Goodwill store now. The closest Safeway to there is 7th St. and Thunderbird.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2008, 05:25 AM

92 posts, read 311,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crystalys View Post
Just another FYI from someone who lives in Moon Valley, there is no Safeway at 19th Ave. and Thunderbird. It closed a few years ago. It is a Goodwill store now. The closest Safeway to there is 7th St. and Thunderbird.
crystalys - What kind of shopping is near this area? Mall? Borders/B&N? Starbucks? Movie theatres?

Thanks!

Old 05-11-2008, 01:31 AM

56 posts, read 212,621 times
right, i grew up at 7th st and thunderbird (where the safeway is) so I know the area you are enquiring about very well. and i know the apts also - my personal opinion, i wouldnt live there.

its a very hard area to describe. basically these apts are right literally on the edge of a pretty bad area (the apts themselves are the very start of the bad area). the area directly EAST and NORTH of these apts is not a place you want to be living, and i would say the same is true for these apts. they are directly surrounded by other low income apts and trailer parks to the east and north. yet to the west, the area is very nice.

BUT - the apt complex literally right next door (west) is 20x better. they are called Mirador 1550 E. Thunderbird Road 85022

i know that sounds really weird considering its 15th st, and the other is 19th st, but you have to see the area to know why. there is a golf course with very expensive homes all to the west, so the mirador complex is right on this golf course which sort of blocks off all the bad parts from the north/east, it also has a big hill and gates that block it off from anything to the east (as you can see, they view this has bad area also haha). its hard to describe, sorry!

i would definitely recommend the mirador complex. my grandparents have stayed there many summers. very modern complex, three stories. great views.

i dont know about the price difference but i think it would be worth it if mirador was more expensive anyways. i had a look and their lowest 1br is $670.

i know you said you cant really trust what you read on the apartment review websites, but i would personally rely on those the most for recommendations considering those people lived at the exact apt and experienced the area/people directly.

anyways, there is a starbucks near the safeway (VERY close) and lots of shopping and movies at paradise valley mall which you would be close to.

if you are looking for other apts close by, try the complex's down greenway or bell road, west of 7th street, they are pretty nice. sorry, i dont know any names off hand.
also another area which would be really good for getting to sunnyslope is central ave, between dunlap and bethany home. this is a really nice tree lined stretch with mostly older privately owned condos for rent etc. would be like a 2 minutes commute to school!

feel free to PM me if you need more help!

Old 05-12-2008, 12:37 AM

1,216 posts, read 3,029,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogetsthesaurus View Post
crystalys - What kind of shopping is near this area? Mall? Borders/B&N? Starbucks? Movie theatres?

Thanks!
i think karenn has pretty much covered this question. I would add that there is a new "Fresh and Easy" Market being built at the same intersection of 7th St. and Thunderbird and there is an AJ's Fine Foods as well. For shopping malls there is Paradise Valley mall which is at the Tatum and Cactus intersection and goes north from there. (Tatum is equivalent to about 48th St.) A few miles further, about 10 minutes down the road is the Desert Ridge mall just north of Tatum and the 101 freeway. These both will have all the amenities you are looking for. Welcome to Phoenix!

Old 05-12-2008, 07:10 PM

44,628 posts, read 61,611,846 times
There are some very nice apts, in a very nice area, just off the NE corner of 7th Ave and Thunderbird Rd, next to Moon Valley. Safeway shopping center is nearby.

Old 05-12-2008, 08:23 PM

56 posts, read 212,621 times
nitram means 7th STREET not ave and i believe these apts are actually privately owned condos (could be wrong though).

Old 05-13-2008, 12:29 AM

44,628 posts, read 61,611,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karenn View Post
nitram means 7th STREET not ave and i believe these apts are actually privately owned condos (could be wrong though).
You're right, 7th St. Sorry.
We have some friends who rent there, so I have no idea if they are privately owned condos there or not.

Old 05-13-2008, 05:54 PM

648 posts, read 3,090,542 times
try 7th street to 19th street and northern area!! you'll be very close to north mountain for hiking and many other amenities.

Old 05-13-2008, 06:10 PM

648 posts, read 3,090,542 times
also, try 7th street between t-bird and dunlap.

Old 05-17-2008, 04:00 PM

17 posts, read 59,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogetsthesaurus View Post
If I remember correctly, doesn't 19th AVENUE have a continuous string of strip clubs on it? If it's the road I am thinking of, it's a road almost directly off a major highway...it's the exit I took to get to the administration office the Glendale High School District...

I heard a general rule of thumb while I was in Phoenix that the "streets" are ok, but the "avenues" are not as ok...
If you took the 19th Ave exit to get the GUHSD offices, someone gave you some WACKY directions. I work for the district too, and the offices are on
43rd Ave. which is a ways from 1-10 and 19th Ave. If you exited 19th Ave off the I-10, then yes you were in a pretty rough part of town, but 19th Ave itself runs a long way through the city, as someone else mentioned. Anyway, welcome to the area and the district; it is a great place to work!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area