Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2008, 11:09 AM

216 posts, read 589,699 times

Advertisements

Thanks all! I've tried to click on all your 'rate this post positively' button in appreciation of you taking the time to reply. LOL!

I've decided one's mind plays terrible tricks on ya. If the property is priced too high, you walk away...if it seems too low, you wonder what's wrong with it. You can't seem to win, hey?!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2008, 11:51 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,339,531 times
Buy something that you like, can afford, in an area that you love and you will be fine. For me I love the Surprise area. I like reading in here when people tell how much they love where they are living. They should love the area that they are in, why else live there? Maybe some made mistakes when they purchased a place and are now stuck with it. That is sad to hear. For us a house is a home, a place to live in and enjoy. Sure it is an investment, but my feeling is that most of us should realize that we need a place to live and that should end it. Have a happy day.

Old 05-07-2008, 12:09 PM

419 posts, read 1,525,158 times
I may get slammed for this, but if you don't anticipate your usage to be more than several or more weeks a year, then why not find rentals and stash your money in a non-housing investment? Just a thought, as I see LOTS of people whose real estate investment becomes a prison for them. Sometimes it's better to keep your freedom and mobility. Phoenix/Scottsdale are never without ample rentals.

Old 05-07-2008, 12:18 PM

930 posts, read 2,423,137 times
4 out of 5 realtors say that now is a good time to buy.

The 5th one hung up her license and went back to the restaurant.

Old 05-07-2008, 01:59 PM

180 posts, read 655,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cognito View Post
Hi all!

I know nobody knows for sure the future of the market but we are thinking about buying a one bedroom condo we saw in Scottsdale. It would be an investment and a place to escape several or more weeks a year. So, is the timing okay, you think or are we still headed downward for a long time to come?

I'd love to hear your opinions! The whole process can be a bit nerve-racking! Or should that be nerve-wrecking?!

Thanks!

How long do you plan to keep it for. I am staring to think now is a great time to buy if you plan on keep it for 5 years. Flipping it or trying to turn $$$ in a year may be tough, but I have feeling were are either at bottom or within a 2-3 months of it. If you look back in 5 years and see that you bought in early summer '08 you may consider yourself quite lucky.

Still if you are not up for the long haul it IS a risk and shorter the term the bigger the risk.

Old 05-08-2008, 04:14 AM

216 posts, read 589,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artvandelay View Post
I may get slammed for this, but if you don't anticipate your usage to be more than several or more weeks a year, then why not find rentals and stash your money in a non-housing investment? Just a thought, as I see LOTS of people whose real estate investment becomes a prison for them. Sometimes it's better to keep your freedom and mobility. Phoenix/Scottsdale are never without ample rentals.
Well, I won't slam you! Only because you are too far away! Just kidding! I'm not interested in renting someone else's place. I've never been a good traveler so I'd do best in my own place. As far as investment purposes...Real estate has always been a good investment until recently. We've lost enough money in the stock market for our taste, so we might as well try something else, I figure. Besides that, hubby retires in 6-7 years so it's an investmest in that way, too. Make sense? Hope so!

Old 05-08-2008, 10:47 AM

27,342 posts, read 27,393,359 times
With this recession affecting everyone everywhere, chances are youre better off to buy now, because its probably going to start picking up real soon and who knows how many years, or even decades, one will be able to afford anything once things start climbing again.

Old 05-08-2008, 01:09 PM

327 posts, read 962,877 times
Thought I'd share this.

CNN Money top 10 housing markets set for steep loss.

Money magazine is predicting Phoenix to experience a 18.3% loss over the next 12 months. The forecast to hit bottom is Oct-Dec 2009.

On a positive note, they're forecasting a 60% gain over the next 5 years, which should put us back at 2006 prices. Of course, take this with a grain of salt. I think most of this is derived from the S&P Case-Shiller index, which is pretty legit in a general sense. Of course, certain parts of Phoenix will probably remain strong. I think we know which areas....

Old 05-08-2008, 01:09 PM

228 posts, read 594,189 times
The above poster beat me to it- I was going to post a link to this very article.

CNN Money has Phoenix pegged as one of the top 10 markets likely to experience big time losses in the near future. They don't forecast Phoenix's RE market to hit bottom until sometime in late '09- and I don't disagree, considering the next wave of exploding ARM's which has yet to hit. I wouldn't buy in Phoenix for at least another year, personally- even if I were planning to stay long-term.

Old 05-08-2008, 01:12 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,405,055 times
1 like 1 bedroom condos a lot. wait 4 months.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area