U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2008, 01:03 AM

10,593 posts, read 22,138,597 times
Its my understanding that Fed Ex does. I used to have an acquantince who had a conviction for cocaine and he has worked for them for year in spite of it. He was also in the first gulf war so that experience might have caused them to overlook his conviction.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2008, 04:27 AM

23 posts, read 60,349 times
Thank you all for your replies.
He was 15 at the time of the offence and was tried as an adult.
Was a cop who got killed and they all went down for it.
Point being, he served his time and has not reoffended, and whether he is honest or not
once the background check is done, he does not get hired.
Even when he tells the interviewer there is a prior felony.
Very unfair system, that we are moving out of state.
Sounds like alot of discrimination to me..

Old 05-19-2008, 10:05 AM

5,375 posts, read 6,870,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wentworthy View Post
Very unfair system, that we are moving out of state.
It seems to me you will find little difference anywhere else. It's not the state, it's the people, the employers. They're the same everywhere.

Old 08-26-2008, 07:37 PM

2 posts, read 30,033 times
I came across this trying to find employers in Tulsa, Oklahoma that would possibly hire felons. My spouse has a 2 year degree. While he was going to school over 11 years ago he did something stupid with a group of friends. He ended up taking the blame for it all thinking it wouldn't be too big of a deal. He ended up in jail and the attorney he had was horrible. He should have ended up with a misdemeanor but instead got a felony.
He has looked and looked for jobs. The only thing he has found are various contract jobs. I am disabled with two children. I can't afford to support us both. The money he gets from unemployment is just not enough.
I think once someone has served their probation, jail time, etc they should be given another chance. I can understand why the guy above would never hire a felon again and unfortunately they are the reason I am sure felons have hard times finding jobs. My spouse iis a very honest, intelligent and hard working person(when allowed!). It is so sad. The one's who really suffer are the families of these people.

Old 08-26-2008, 08:38 PM

81 posts, read 257,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidneystonecrys View Post
I came across this trying to find employers in Tulsa, Oklahoma that would possibly hire felons. My spouse has a 2 year degree. While he was going to school over 11 years ago he did something stupid with a group of friends. He ended up taking the blame for it all thinking it wouldn't be too big of a deal. He ended up in jail and the attorney he had was horrible. He should have ended up with a misdemeanor but instead got a felony.
He has looked and looked for jobs. The only thing he has found are various contract jobs. I am disabled with two children. I can't afford to support us both. The money he gets from unemployment is just not enough.
I think once someone has served their probation, jail time, etc they should be given another chance. I can understand why the guy above would never hire a felon again and unfortunately they are the reason I am sure felons have hard times finding jobs. My spouse iis a very honest, intelligent and hard working person(when allowed!). It is so sad. The one's who really suffer are the families of these people.
When violent crimes occurs. Everyone suffers...the victim and the perpetrator. This is not a win-win.

Make your husband could try something online. Online affiliate marketing.

Old 08-27-2008, 07:42 AM

2 posts, read 30,033 times
It was not a violent crime. That is the problem. If it were I could totally understand. He has tried many things including online opportunities. He always gets cut off at some point. It used to be have you had a felony in the last 7 years...as I said his was years ago. It involved an unlocked telephone company truck and a group of college kids. The vehicle was not stolen. They grabbed, cones things like that. I just don't think someone should have to suffer for the rest of their lives over something like this. He completed his probation, paid fines. I don't know if the average person knows that being on probation is no walk in the park.
If it is a non-violent crime and someone has done their time that should be it.
I figured I should clear up the violent crime thing...Because it was not violent at all. Of course if someone does something wrong, against the law they should be punished. Fines etc.
There are more people in our prisons that any other country! That says a lot to me. When I am actually living with someone that I watch everyday try to get a decent stable job and can't do it because of something that happened when he was 19 that was a non violent crime no less it makes me wonder how many other people have been treated this way and how many other people have a college diploma that can't even get a job at McDonalds!?
It shouldn't be this hard AT ALL!

Old 08-29-2008, 09:25 PM

81 posts, read 257,091 times
Quote:
It was not a violent crime. That is the problem. If it were I could totally understand. He has tried many things including online opportunities. He always gets cut off at some point. It used to be have you had a felony in the last 7 years...as I said his was years ago. It involved an unlocked telephone company truck and a group of college kids. The vehicle was not stolen. They grabbed, cones things like that. I just don't think someone should have to suffer for the rest of their lives over something like this. He completed his probation, paid fines. I don't know if the average person knows that being on probation is no walk in the park.
I figured I should clear up the violent crime thing...Because it was not violent at all. Of course if someone does something wrong, against the law they should be punished. Fines etc.
There are more people in our prisons that any other country! That says a lot to me. When I am actually living with someone that I watch everyday try to get a decent stable job and can't do it because of something that happened when he was 19 that was a non violent crime no less it makes me wonder how many other people have been treated this way and how many other people have a college diploma that can't even get a job at McDonalds!?
push for the online opportunities or start a business.

Old 08-30-2008, 05:43 PM

559 posts, read 905,439 times
Quote:
Honestly if I have 2 equal resumes, but one was an ex convict, no matter what he did, I would hire the one with the clean record, and the majority of people would do the same.

Old 08-14-2009, 04:46 AM

7 posts, read 60,864 times
There is no statutory limitations for felony or misdemeanor convictions. I have a misdemeanor warrant from ten years ago that is still warranted. I was never able to return to the state and deal with the conviction.

Old 08-14-2009, 04:49 AM

7 posts, read 60,864 times
Here is a list of things a felon ca do to make money.
1. Lie
2. Cheat
3. Steal
4. Grow pot
5. Sell drugs
6. Prostitution
7. Robbery
Glad I could help!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area