Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2021, 08:38 AM

1,692 posts, read 1,271,429 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maroon197 View Post
They're practically identical. All three are basically bland, generic suburbs. If I blindfolded you and dropped you off in any of them you'd have almost no way of knowing which one you were in - strip malls and tract housing can only vary so much. They also border each other, so it's not like you'd be missing out on anything by picking one over the other. I wouldn't overthink it.
I would exclude Gilbert from that. Chandler and Ahwatukee were mostly built up pre-recession, when they were just trying to build as many bland, tract homes as possible. So they both do look very similar (with the exception of some parts of South Chandler). Gilbert, for the most part, was built up later and I feel like they tried very hard to distinguish themselves. I see way more grass and trees, and the homes seem to have way more character in Gilbert.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2021, 08:52 AM

717 posts, read 1,058,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sno0909 View Post
I would exclude Gilbert from that. Chandler and Ahwatukee were mostly built up pre-recession, when they were just trying to build as many bland, tract homes as possible. So they both do look very similar (with the exception of some parts of South Chandler). Gilbert, for the most part, was built up later and I feel like they tried very hard to distinguish themselves. I see way more grass and trees, and the homes seem to have way more character in Gilbert.
Gilbert has some areas like what you describe, but it also has countless generic Phoenix tract home developments just like the others. All along the 60 and in many areas along the 202 it’s pretty indistinguishable from chandler, Mesa, Tempe etc. And realistically with the rate at which the water crisis is developing, I wouldn’t count on the long term viability of having tons of green grass communal landscaping areas. They will eventually be left brown, and many places in California and colorado have already placed restrictions on residential lawn watering.

Old 09-14-2021, 09:25 AM

1,692 posts, read 1,271,429 times
Quote:
Gilbert has some areas like what you describe, but it also has countless generic Phoenix tract home developments just like the others. All along the 60 and in many areas along the 202 it’s pretty indistinguishable from chandler, Mesa, Tempe etc. And realistically with the rate at which the water crisis is developing, I wouldn’t count on the long term viability of having tons of green grass communal landscaping areas. They will eventually be left brown, and many places in California and colorado have already placed restrictions on residential lawn watering.
Yes, along the 60 is the "older" part of Gilbert that looks like every other part of the Valley - agreed.

As far as the water, I really don't see conservative Gilbert putting water restrictions, but who knows what the future holds.

Old 09-16-2021, 01:43 PM

1,204 posts, read 1,975,606 times
1999 "Live in Gilbert? lol that is worse then Mesa!"
2021 "Yeah Gilberts cool. the down town is like a mini Snottsdale or Mill ave. I could live there...but I can't afford it."

Ahwatukee - Chandler, but harder to get in and out of. Also a hair nicer and maybe slightly less crime (some parts of Chandler starting to get a little hood-ey).

Old 09-18-2021, 06:26 PM

7,327 posts, read 12,333,607 times
As for Chandler, the best parts are South and West Chandler. North Chandler is less desirable.

Old 09-21-2021, 01:52 PM

2,449 posts, read 2,601,599 times
Downtown Gilbert and Agritopia are getting so crowded. I can't imagine what those areas will be like once the weather starts cooling down!

Old 09-21-2021, 03:46 PM

1,567 posts, read 1,956,308 times
Anyone ragging on Gilbert likely has not been there in the last 6 years.

I am amazed what they have done with their downtown area over the last several years. It is packed every single weekend. A lot of really unique restaurants and bars. Add in the mix the San Tan Mall area and you have a lot in the city going on.

Here is a list of downtown restaurants: https://www.discovergilbert.com/cate...ct-restaurant/

Same could be said for Chandler, their downtown has come a long way and is crowded every weekend too.

Ahwatukee is the odd one out. They don't really have a lot of walkable night life area. The area seems to die after a certain time. I have only really seen chain restaurants in that area.

Old 09-21-2021, 09:19 PM

717 posts, read 1,058,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajonesaz View Post
Anyone ragging on Gilbert likely has not been there in the last 6 years.

I am amazed what they have done with their downtown area over the last several years. It is packed every single weekend. A lot of really unique restaurants and bars. Add in the mix the San Tan Mall area and you have a lot in the city going on.

Here is a list of downtown restaurants: https://www.discovergilbert.com/cate...ct-restaurant/

Same could be said for Chandler, their downtown has come a long way and is crowded every weekend too.

Ahwatukee is the odd one out. They don't really have a lot of walkable night life area. The area seems to die after a certain time. I have only really seen chain restaurants in that area.
The vast majority of places in downtown gilbert are "trendy chains" (OHSO, Culinary Dropout, Snooze etc.) It's definitely crowded down there, but it'd be nice if they had businesses, housing, and attractions beyond the standard collection of generic valley chain restaurants. There's nothing overtly special about it that you can't find at countless other suburban locations like desert ridge. Downtown chandler has some unique places, but it too seems to be headed down the generic color-by-number route with pedal haus and so forth. Same with downtown Mesa. These trendy chains are basically the new applebees for the modern era.

"Where'd you go last night?"
"Postino."
"Oh. Which one?"
"Tempe."
"Oh. Which one?"

Last edited by Maroon197; 09-21-2021 at 09:32 PM..

Old 09-21-2021, 10:06 PM

4,624 posts, read 9,276,167 times
Quote:
The vast majority of places in downtown gilbert are "trendy chains" (OHSO, Culinary Dropout, Snooze etc.) It's definitely crowded down there, but it'd be nice if they had businesses, housing, and attractions beyond the standard collection of generic valley chain restaurants. There's nothing overtly special about it that you can't find at countless other suburban locations like desert ridge. Downtown chandler has some unique places, but it too seems to be headed down the generic color-by-number route with pedal haus and so forth. Same with downtown Mesa. These trendy chains are basically the new applebees for the modern era.

"Where'd you go last night?"
"Postino."
"Oh. Which one?"
"Tempe."
"Oh. Which one?"
Not a whole lot of local one-off restaurants make it. It's a tough business so you have to be good at what you're doing to open 2-3 more locations, therefore I wouldn't discount some of the local chains. Bourbon and Bones comes to mind, the fact that they have one in Scottsdale and one in Gilbert doesn't make the quality any worse. My favorite restaurant in Chandler is probably Roy's, but I know people that go a couple hundred yards past Roy's to eat at Fleming's, which they prefer, or Shula's which is another quality chain. I think it's important to have a little mix of both, which we do. I have lots of great local places I have to get sushi, but I'd love for a Nobu or Morimoto "chain" to open near me. There's good chains and bad chains and I wouldn't call much of what we're seeing akin to Applebee's.

Old 09-21-2021, 10:34 PM

843 posts, read 564,235 times
Quote:
Geez, your standards are so high. It's hard not to notice that you are usually negative about the whole area. Get off that high horse.

If it's busy and people are waiting for tables then it would seem to be a success by almost any standard except yours. We go to downtown Gilbert once in a while and we enjoy it. It seems like a nice mix to us. There are several unique restaurants (see below). Many successful restaurant owners also have several locations. There are efficiencies to be gained with more volume. Gilbert and Chandler ain't NY City, and even Times Square has many chain attractions. It's called Capitalism - the free market.

Here are some examples I found within downtown Gilbert by a not-so-quick search that are not really "chains":

Copper 48, Da'Bayou Creole Kitchen, Sotol Modern Cocktail Kitchen, Joe's Real BBQ, SoCal Fish Taco Company, The Farmhouse Restaurant, Champions Sports Saloon, The White Rabbit, Liberty Market, Romeo's Euro Café, Topo -- these all have only one location in Gilbert

Clever Koi - locations in Phoenix and Gilbert - two locations
Joyride Taco House - two locations
Sushi Brokers - three locations
Dierks Bentley's Whiskey Row - three locations
The Porch - three locations
Even OHSO that you mentioned has four upscale valley locations - sounds OK to me: https://ohsobrewery.com/restaurants/

Granted that Oreganos, Lo-Lo's, Snooze, Zinburger, Postino, Culinary Dropout are indeed large chains.

Those are 18 places that are not big chains. There are also other businesses in the area such as coffee shops, a bike shop, a huge candy store, ice cream, a street taco stand (Midnight Taco - 2 locations), Level 1 Arcade Bar (one location), the Hale Theatre, the park by the water tower. And more. Still growing. Seems like a decent mix, but maybe you just require more sophistication.

Last edited by KO Stradivarius; 09-22-2021 at 12:02 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area