Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2008, 11:52 PM

611 posts, read 2,298,463 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sablebaby View Post
Not what I'm saying at all. I just found it odd that you would have an RV and willing to pay $350 per month to store and also on Section 8 (so it sounds like it's not your main mode of transportation). It's just not what I'm familiar with with the clients that I have who qualify for it.
I find that odd too. Not to mention the cost of gas to drive it from IL to AZ, especially for a family that is barely surviving.

Old 05-16-2008, 08:05 AM

47 posts, read 134,387 times
Have you been able to find jobs that pay $50k+ out here? What kinds of positions are you looking for? You say you currently work in the social service field which doesn't pay well out here either, even with an Master's degree. I'm just curious what other things you are finding.[/quote]

$350 would be alot but I am not the typical section 8 participant since I am educated and have a job. Most people on section 8 don't make $30,000/year, not that that's alot of money. I have a larger portion to pay every month. I am planning on rentng a room in my house to a relative in July so this will cover the cost of the RV park. (I'm waiting on the landlords approval on this.) I also have some savings and expect to get my full security desposit back. If you work with mentally disabled then that is a far cry from my situation.

The only jobs that I've seen paying close to $50 are for Director postions which I will be applying for. I also saw 2 jobs at the university in Tucson that pays $70+ that I will apply for. But it's hard to land a university job because it depends on who you know. I know Tucson is a couple of hours from Phoniex so if I get the job then of course I will move out there.

I have my BS in Psychology and my MS in Education with a specialization in Training & Performance Improvement.

It would be wonderful if I can find a job and leave the section 8 behind because it is a big hassle. In the mean time that's what I'm working with and I'm grateful for the safety net for now.

Old 05-16-2008, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Great Joy View Post
I find that odd too. Not to mention the cost of gas to drive it from IL to AZ, especially for a family that is barely surviving.
Who said I was barely surviving? It's tight but we are surviving thanks to the assistance and my income tax return. It amazes me the ignorance of people. Just because someone is lower income does not mean that we are stupid/uneducated. Of course I've been planning for this move accordingly like any college educated person would. We are very frugal, we don't waste money any lavish things. I decorated my entire house off craigslist and buy my kids clothes from the second hand store. I saw a documentary on "working-class millionaires" and these millionaires were miserable and still working 60-80 hours per week. And why do you think that is? Because they were trying to keep up with the Jones.

Do not blame me if I know how to reap the benefit from these people. These are the people I purchased my "barely used" furniture from on Craigslist for pennies because they want a different look. Go look at dinning room sets on Craigslist, look at the one with the pictures only. You can find a $3000 dinnette set for $400. Now that's a steal. If a person need the thing out of their house because the new one is arriving in one short week (I've read this) then I will juke the price down. Now I have a $3000 dinette set for $300-$375.

Nothing about my lifestyle say section 8 or low income for that matter. I am a researcher by nature and I get upset when I see a better deal then what I paid. Noone know ALL of the furniture in my house is used!!! The house I live in now is not in the most desireable location of Chicago but I don't fear for my life every time I walk out the house. It took me 3 months to find the right place. I refuse to settle. It also take me several months to find the furniture for my home. I don't want any thing that look like trash and I will not pay anything close to full price. No scratches, nicks, breaks, discoloration. No pets and no smoking. Set your standards, know what you want, and wait. For my living room set I noticed that the guy still had it posted almost 3 weeks later and it's beautiful. The table that came with it is real, very heavy marble. I got him to know another $400 off the price. He was almost in tears when we took it but his situation didn't allow him to keep it any longer.

Have you ever seen Waiting to Exhale? Remember the scene when she sold all her ex's stuff for $1 well that's what I look for. I am a great tenant and neighbor. We don't have loud parties, I pay my rent on time, we go to church, pay our tithes, we don't smoke, I don't drink, hubby have a beer every now and again. I am on my way off the system. I use the system for a boast but I also know people who are comfortable where they are and will die on welfare.

Now alot of people are renting out very nice homes in AZ due to the housing market. I have seen some houses that are beautiful in picture but my question is what about the area. If people learn how to budget better they can have most things not when you want it but nice all the same. Take for example our RV. My husband know all about those and looked for months then found a relative to go in half. Actually the relative bought the whole thing and we make monthly payments to him. The relative never used the thing but we use it regularly. He will allow us to take it to AZ since we are almost finished paying it off now and he know we are not bumbs. He also told us not to tell anyone else in the family because most people are moochers and just want something for nothing.

I always say I love poor people because we are so creative and know how to stretch a dollar. We know how to bend a hanger into an antenna, a grill rack and a a curtain rod. We will then use the same hanger to hold the trunk on the car closed, fix the dryer and as a new handle on a broken drawer. The problem is most people don't save the money that they saved by using the hanger, but we do.

Last edited by StartToday; 05-16-2008 at 08:50 AM..

Old 05-16-2008, 11:48 AM

106 posts, read 530,949 times
This irks me. Granted... My houshold income is currently many more times what you hope to make but there was a time when I made less than 30k, had a child and was not on any type of welfare. I slept on an 80 dollar futon and didn't have much else but at least I wasnt accepting houndouts and I can always say I did it on mt own when I was able... Even if I struggled. If you are making 35k you can afford to make some changes and do it on your own. You sound resourceful so I know you could, you'd just rather "I" help you out and that irks me since I struggled and did it without help.

Old 05-16-2008, 11:57 AM

751 posts, read 2,473,346 times
I love your poor people are creative statement - so true!

When I wrote find a job first it was for two reasons:
1. HUD can be a hassle. And I know because I live in HUD apartments (in OH not AZ).
2. Phoenix is huge, and your drive time to work might be a problem. If you are able to give a couple possible job locations, the AZ natives might be able to be more helpful.

Or, if you could have an address from the newspaper and ask about that specific area that may help. They do have an online newspaper-I don't know if it will be helpful for locating HUD houses or not Arizona Local News - Phoenix Arizona News - azcentral.com

In addition to the typical job sites, I found one that is specific to AZ that may be helpful to you, it is the best one I've found if your set on AZ Jobing.com - Go Local

Good luck with your search.

Old 05-16-2008, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILuvAZ View Post
This irks me. Granted... My houshold income is currently many more times what you hope to make but there was a time when I made less than 30k, had a child and was not on any type of welfare. I slept on an 80 dollar futon and didn't have much else but at least I wasnt accepting houndouts and I can always say I did it on mt own when I was able... Even if I struggled. If you are making 35k you can afford to make some changes and do it on your own. You sound resourceful so I know you could, you'd just rather "I" help you out and that irks me since I struggled and did it without help.

That is your business that you chose to do it without help and I'm sure you had help from someone even if it was your parents. And I am paying into the system with my tax dollars just the same as you are. Anyway, as I said in my original post this thread is not a defense for or against welfare. It is about the best location for my situation. Do you think I give a hoot about what you did on your own and how you are now married to someone who makes "many more times what I hope to make"? So it sounds like your husband became your welfare system and my Uncle Sam is mine. We all need somebody.

I often hear people talk about poor, homeless people and how the government is spending so much money in other countries to improve the quality of life in those area. These same people complaining, like you, will then say that America have enough poor people and why not use those funds to help our own. Section 8 is a program designed for that, this is the way that the goverment is helping Americans to not be homeless and you are still complaining.

$30,000 for a family of 4 in 2008 is not enough to live an OK life.

When were you a single parent with one kid making $30,000? 10 years ago? 20 years ago? From your post it sounds like a long time ago. $30,000 for a family of 2 in 1998 ( or 1988) went much farther than today.

You don't know where I started from to get to this place now either so hold your judgements and comments if you don't have an answer to the question, which you did not provide.

Old 05-16-2008, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1phwalls View Post
I love your poor people are creative statement - so true!

When I wrote find a job first it was for two reasons:
1. HUD can be a hassle. And I know because I live in HUD apartments (in OH not AZ).
2. Phoenix is huge, and your drive time to work might be a problem. If you are able to give a couple possible job locations, the AZ natives might be able to be more helpful.

Or, if you could have an address from the newspaper and ask about that specific area that may help. They do have an online newspaper-I don't know if it will be helpful for locating HUD houses or not Arizona Local News - Phoenix Arizona News - azcentral.com

In addition to the typical job sites, I found one that is specific to AZ that may be helpful to you, it is the best one I've found if your set on AZ Jobing.com - Go Local

Good luck with your search.
Thanks, I never heard of jobing.com and will check it out. Thanks for sticking to the topic also and answering the original question.

Old 05-16-2008, 01:03 PM

106 posts, read 530,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StartToday View Post
That is your business that you chose to do it without help and I'm sure you had help from someone even if it was your parents. And I am paying into the system with my tax dollars just the same as you are. Anyway, as I said in my original post this thread is not a defense for or against welfare. It is about the best location for my situation. Do you think I give a hoot about what you did on your own and how you are now married to someone who makes "many more times what I hope to make"? So it sounds like your husband became your welfare system and my Uncle Sam is mine. We all need somebody.

I often hear people talk about poor, homeless people and how the government is spending so much money in other countries to improve the quality of life in those area. These same people complaining, like you, will then say that America have enough poor people and why not use those funds to help our own. Section 8 is a program designed for that, this is the way that the goverment is helping Americans to not be homeless and you are still complaining.

$30,000 for a family of 4 in 2008 is not enough to live an OK life.

When were you a single parent with one kid making $30,000? 10 years ago? 20 years ago? From your post it sounds like a long time ago. $30,000 for a family of 2 in 1998 ( or 1988) went much farther than today.

You don't know where I started from to get to this place now either so hold your judgements and comments if you don't have an answer to the question, which you did not provide.
My husband and I struggled together to build this life... I did not marry in to money. No my parents did not help. I do remember my mother bringing me her doggy bag from a dinner out one time but that was pretty much the extent of it. That is neither here nor there...

You can do it. That futon I slept on doubled as my living room sofa. We sat on the floor to eat because spending $400 on anything was out of the question. I don't care what kind of "good deal" it was, it's still $400. If you took all of the money you spend on your good deals you could probably get pretty close to paying your own rent... right? For me, I could do without "things" to pay my own bills. I remember the day I realized I could actually afford basic cable... what a happy day that was!

Look, I'm not a raving lunatic about this. I applaud that you've gone to school and I think that there was probably a time when you really needed the assistance or you wouldn't have made it. I don't believe today that is the case. I am just a believer that welfare is there to assist people when they really need it and have no other way. Really "needing" it seems to be where we differ in opinion.

I don't look back at my "hard" times as being bad or sad times. They made me who I am and it was just a time in my life that in a way I'm not so proud of but in another I am very proud. I firmly believe that I am reaping the rewards today of how I handled myself back then.

Good luck to you!

Old 05-16-2008, 01:22 PM

Congratulations on your success. I can only hope to achieve such greatness as yourself one day. Welfare determine the proverty level and when people are no longer eligible. As it stands we still are eligilbe and I will continue to recieve the services until I no longer qualify.

Thanks for your unsolicited $.02.

: )

Old 05-16-2008, 02:03 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,191,995 times
My thoughts are that many in Arizona haven't heard about section 8 because it is so affordable in the area. If you are looking for a place to rent for $350 chances are you can find that in the area, may not be top shelf, but you can find it. Have you considered making a bid on a home that is in forclosure in the area? I know in Surprise there are a lot of homes that are in forclosere that the banks may be willing to make a deal on. You may want to check. Remember that Arizona isn't as liberal as some states and you may not have the same opportunities that you could get in some of the liberal states, including California. Personally someone making $50,000 I doubt should be able to get section 8, but then it depends on how many people are in your family. Here in California you wouldn'd be able to get it unless you have 8 or 9 kids. I should know because I have 6 kids and don't qualify. Tried to get into a low income housing condo co op and was denied because I made too much money with $55,000 in income. I would have had to make $35,000 out here in California and we are a high rent area. Anyway have fun with that, and welcome to Arizona.

PS our home will be complete in a few months. You can afford a home on $50,000 out here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area