Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-16-2008, 05:21 PM

128 posts, read 446,939 times

Advertisements

Hey all,

We're looking into the Vista on Fireside community by Pulte homes (85085). I've been talking to them this past week and they asked me to pick a lot to building our home in. Since this is our first home, we don't know much about what to look for when picking a lot. Can you guys help out with any suggestions or advice? Also, if anyone lives in the community, let us know what you think of it?

Thanks in advance

Mike
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2008, 05:31 PM

106 posts, read 532,599 times
We picked our lot because it was on a corner, has a greenbelt directly across the street from us (so that's our view from our big living room window instead of looking at a house) and because the house behind us is on a huge cul de sac lot so they aren't really behind us at all. Technically we only have one neighbor to our left and that house isn't close to us either. I would definitly pick a lot, if possible, that doesn't have neighbors packed in next to you or behind you. Also, we are smack dab in the center of the neighborhood so the school is right down the street and all of the community parks are walking distance from us. I really love the location of our lot for these reasons.

Another thing... our lot is a bit over 10k sq ft which is good because I believe when looking for houses by lot size in the MLS 10k sq ft + begins a new search size so we are included in houses that would come up with that search criterea (does that many sense?).

Other things to look for... cul de sacs are generally a good selling point and being next to a park is good too! Just picture yourself living on each lot and picture what you'll be dong and the houses, parks, etc around you to picture whether you'll love it or not.

Old 05-16-2008, 05:53 PM

3,819 posts, read 11,937,252 times
One thing to keep in mind that is very important is sun exposure. Our house for example faces east and I really wish it was the other way around. In the morning, we are in the front office where it gets hot and the back of the house stays cool... In the afternoon the back heats up, including the master bedroom and the back patio. If the house faced west, then the patio would be shaded by the house itself and we wouldn't have to stare into the glaring sun.

The other advice given was good also about neighbors and such. We are in a culdasac ourselves and the neighbor behind us is pretty far back. One other thing to check are for one or two story homes around you, if they have already been chosen. We have only 1 story houses on all sides and the privacy and open skies are nice.

Old 05-16-2008, 07:10 PM

132 posts, read 592,838 times
we picked our lot also. we decided to have a greenbelt on the back and we are next to the corner lot. we have a 7,500 sq ft lot. if the corner lot didn't have a $20,000 permium (12,000 sq ft) we would have taken that one. we love having no one in the back and we have a bar fence. we love walking in the greenbelt or watching our son bike around.

Old 05-16-2008, 08:24 PM

3,632 posts, read 16,161,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HX_Guy View Post
One thing to keep in mind that is very important is sun exposure. Our house for example faces east and I really wish it was the other way around. In the morning, we are in the front office where it gets hot and the back of the house stays cool... In the afternoon the back heats up, including the master bedroom and the back patio. If the house faced west, then the patio would be shaded by the house itself and we wouldn't have to stare into the glaring sun.

The other advice given was good also about neighbors and such. We are in a culdasac ourselves and the neighbor behind us is pretty far back. One other thing to check are for one or two story homes around you, if they have already been chosen. We have only 1 story houses on all sides and the privacy and open skies are nice.
What you need is a big shade tree in your front yard. We also face due east and rarely have any sun exposure. We have a huge Sissoo tree right in front. I had sun shades on that front window (came when we bought it) but I removed them last year as I like to be able to see out clearly. Haven't had any problems.

Old 05-16-2008, 08:26 PM

3,632 posts, read 16,161,525 times
I live on a corner backing the busy residential street. The noise is an issue, though you tend to ignore it, but it's still there. And we have racers driving like maniacs around the corner. But, the positive is that we only have one neighbor next to us, and that's a positive to me!! I hate being surrounded (so closely) on every side.

Old 05-16-2008, 08:58 PM

44,620 posts, read 61,578,192 times
Generally your best exposure is North/South facing. If you live on a cul de sac it is generally quieter and no traffic. Also look where they put the utility boxes and fire hydrants. They can sometimes be a nuisance.

Old 05-16-2008, 09:43 PM

4,250 posts, read 10,448,045 times
I have a big corner lot (18K plus sq. ft) and really like it. Everyone is very quiet except, wouldn't you know it, the neighbors behind me, although I admit I am ultra picky about noise. I'm irritated if I hear any bass (from their stereo) come out of their house for more than one hour per week. Rule of thumb - do not buy a house near a tacky house. All I want to hear are birds and mourning doves, which I do listen to every day. Otherwise, it's dead quiet here. I thought a large lot would prevent the noise factor and no doubt it helps, but not every factor can be controlled. Big lots are great but also big lot work.

Last edited by movin'on; 05-16-2008 at 09:52 PM.. Reason: add thought

Old 05-16-2008, 11:16 PM

3,819 posts, read 11,937,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sablebaby View Post
What you need is a big shade tree in your front yard. We also face due east and rarely have any sun exposure. We have a huge Sissoo tree right in front. I had sun shades on that front window (came when we bought it) but I removed them last year as I like to be able to see out clearly. Haven't had any problems.
We used to have a big mature tree out front but it broke in two during a thunderstorm a couple years back and we ended up having to pull it out. I'd love to have another one but they take a long time to mature to where I'd wait it or they are really expensive (read: $2000+) if you buy an already mature tree.

I'm with you on liking to see clearly outside...and I'll have to see how I like it with the screens tomorrow morning (they got installed after I left this afternoon so I haven't actually seen how it looks yet).

Maybe now that we have the sun screens we'll get a smaller one and let it grow...we plan on being in this house for at least 5-6 years if not longer.

Old 05-17-2008, 02:26 AM

4,300 posts, read 14,951,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike.main View Post
Hey all,

We're looking into the Vista on Fireside community by Pulte homes (85085). I've been talking to them this past week and they asked me to pick a lot to building our home in. Since this is our first home, we don't know much about what to look for when picking a lot. Can you guys help out with any suggestions or advice? Also, if anyone lives in the community, let us know what you think of it?

Thanks in advance

Mike

Don't pick a lot near power lines or noisy streets.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area