Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2008, 09:12 AM

7,284 posts, read 16,681,102 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by movin'on View Post
No, I have never had one and never plan to have one, as I seldom drink and sure wouldn't drive. I've known a couple of people who have received one and heard some outrageous claims, so thought I'd check it out. First person said about $10K and I've heard it goes even higher than that. Is it possible that it actually costs this much? Thoughts? Thanks.
Oh it's possible all right. There are different levels of DUI. The claims aren't outrageous, they're probably pretty accurate. I know several people who have had DUIs. Plus if someone got more than one, the fines go up. And if it was connected with an accident...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2008, 09:19 AM

8,311 posts, read 13,444,568 times
I do not know how much the legal fees are but the drinks cost a lot to begin with!!

Hehe...you guys were getting a bit too agressive so I felt like cracking a joke...

Movin on, DUI is a serious crime, your vehicle is a huge weapon that can easily kill the irresponsible drunk driver along with his passengers (even dumber people) and those who he might get into an accident with so in a sense it is like 'murder', catch my drift?

Thankfully, most clubs in Scottsdale fix cheap drinks, a bit on the weak side, still drinking and driving is not safe, sensible or advisable wherever you live no just here in AZ. If you are not drinking then you got nothing to worry about but if you do, I heard they only server water in tent city.

Old 05-20-2008, 09:44 AM

4,250 posts, read 10,449,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
The article references healthcare issues - not actions by the Sheriff. And many of those alleged issues are being disputed.

And, futhermore, you don't like it here so you are not in the best position to comment either.
A Sheriff Joe apologist. My not liking it here has nothing to do with the fact that 60 people have died under his watch. That article wasn't my opinion, rather a fact.

Old 05-20-2008, 10:01 AM

4,250 posts, read 10,449,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurcoLoco View Post
I do not know how much the legal fees are but the drinks cost a lot to begin with!!

Hehe...you guys were getting a bit too agressive so I felt like cracking a joke...

Movin on, DUI is a serious crime, your vehicle is a huge weapon that can easily kill the irresponsible drunk driver along with his passengers (even dumber people) and those who he might get into an accident with so in a sense it is like 'murder', catch my drift?

Thankfully, most clubs in Scottsdale fix cheap drinks, a bit on the weak side, still drinking and driving is not safe, sensible or advisable wherever you live no just here in AZ. If you are not drinking then you got nothing to worry about but if you do, I heard they only server water in tent city.
cute joke. I don't go to bars or clubs and seldom drink, so I am not worried about a DUI. I've seen the cops that hang out right outside the bars waiting to pounce on people as they leave. I don't know how anyone would even go to those places.

Old 05-20-2008, 10:22 AM

1,775 posts, read 6,354,986 times
Quote:
cute joke. I don't go to bars or clubs and seldom drink, so I am not worried about a DUI. I've seen the cops that hang out right outside the bars waiting to pounce on people as they leave. I don't know how anyone would even go to those places.
How can a cop pounce on someone who's leaving a bar unless they're visibly intoxicated? Most restaurants other than fast food places have liquor licenses. Seems to me it would be pretty easy to beat an otherwise slam dunk DUI case because the cop had zero probable cause for the stop. I know from my own DUI case that the reason for the stop was the most important thing to the judge. Any decent lawyer who successfully challenges the reason for the stop can get a DUI tossed. Sobriety checkpoints are notorious for this. I'd rather the cops go after the folks who are a known danger on the road, since there's very little chance of them getting out of it then.

I was tailgating at a Van Halen concert a long time ago and all of us were standing around with our beers in blue plastic cups next to a car that had the stereo on and windows down. A cop came up and asked which one of us was driving. Trouble was the car didn't belong to any of us. The cop was cool and left us alone, but trying to nail someone like that is a waste of an arrest when they could just as easily get the driver once he's in the car and has fired up the the engine.

Old 05-20-2008, 10:36 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,254,467 times
Quote:
A Sheriff Joe apologist. My not liking it here has nothing to do with the fact that 60 people have died under his watch. That article wasn't my opinion, rather a fact.
No, not an apologist. A realist.

The Sheriff is not resonsible for the fact that the inmate is ill when they come in. Medical Services are contracted for by the County. Inmates have access to the service.

Frankly, with the number of people who come through the system, and with some of them are being stoned - deaths will occur. That is realism.

Old 05-20-2008, 10:37 AM

Quote:
And clearly, you are taking the article out of context to meet your agenda

Old 05-20-2008, 10:38 AM

Quote:
I've seen the cops that hang out right outside the bars waiting to pounce on people as they leave.
I for one am glad the police are doing their jobs

Old 05-20-2008, 12:34 PM

639 posts, read 2,711,012 times
Quote:
Anyway, tent city is just what it sounds like, from what I gather. They have people stay in this big tent and lop DUIers in with severe criminals, even in extreme heat.

From personal experience I hate to admit, DUI offenders do not stay with severe criminals while in tent city. The hardest crimes in tent city may be drugs, anything else would be housed in higher security prisons in the state.

DUI inmates do not have to wear pink underwear. Inmates wear regular street clothes that they came in with. You are allowed to bring money into the complex to buy food and drinks (there are vending machines and actually a TV). You can bring a book to read or magazine. You can not wear hats of any kind.

There are 2 sides to tent city. One side inmates are in pink, those inmates are the ones who are doing long sentences. The other side is for short term sentences or work release inmates.

I spent 24 hours there back in 2003 during the winter. I never want to go back but it really wasn't a bad experience. It was actually a bit cold, the blankets they gave us were not good. Hearing from others the summers are the worst. Very hot and bugs everywhere. The experience made me see how other people can be so screwed up. Some people I spoke with while there had 6 month sentences for their 3rd DUI!

I love how most people just lay into people who have drove while having a few drinks. I bet 90% of people who have had liquor before have driven over the legal limit not knowing it.

I don't condone drinking and driving, but some people need to stop being hypocritical!

Old 05-20-2008, 04:58 PM

1,775 posts, read 6,354,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uconn99 View Post
Some people I spoke with while there had 6 month sentences for their 3rd DUI!

I love how most people just lay into people who have drove while having a few drinks. I bet 90% of people who have had liquor before have driven over the legal limit not knowing it.

I don't condone drinking and driving, but some people need to stop being hypocritical!
I've read before that the average first time DUI offender has driven over the limit 1000 times before they're caught. Anyway, someone who's on their third DUI needs to do some serious time. If you don't learn your lesson after the pain of the first and second DUI's, chances are there's no rehabilitating you and you need to be kept off the roads for good. We all know yanking people's licenses doesn't do anything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area