Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2008, 12:08 PM

4 posts, read 10,549 times

Advertisements

Greetings!!

As a young 30's professional single girl, I am interested in feedback regarding the Phoenix area! I will be moving there in the next couple of months. I have read many, many posts and clearly there are mixed thoughts. I see myself as someone who likes to go out every now and again but really just looking for a fun group of individuals who have more interests than just bar hopping. I guess balance would be the correct term.

You 30-something people out there in Phoenix, what are your thoughts? Also, where are good areas of town to own a home yet still have a decent mixture of other single professionals that I might fit in with? I am very outgoing and don’t normally have a hard time making friends but I think you need to be in surroundings that are conducive to meeting others with the same interests/goals. Thoughts on organizations, churches??

Thanks yall! (just to be authentic)
Dawn
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2008, 01:05 PM

3,966 posts, read 10,699,583 times
Dirt, old people, and married people. That's phoenix. There are tons of churches in Phoenix anything from mormon, baptist, scientology, muslim. Whatever religion you can think of, it's here.

Stuff to do here? lots of hiking trails, there are lakes up north, shopping.

I'm unsure what kind of answer you're looking for. I noticed no one replied to your thread, so i thought i'd show some love.

Old 06-28-2008, 01:42 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,298,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by w1ngzer0 View Post
Dirt, old people, and married people. That's phoenix. There are tons of churches in Phoenix anything from mormon, baptist, scientology, muslim. Whatever religion you can think of, it's here.

I'm unsure what kind of answer you're looking for. I noticed no one replied to your thread, so i thought i'd show some love.
Uh, Phoenix is one of the youngest cities in the country. You couldn't be more wrong. Go to Old Town Scottsdale on a Friday or Saturday night and tell me it's just full of old and married people. You obviously do not know what you are talking about.

To the OP, just be aware that Phoenix is not a Southern city. You might not like it here because most of the young people don't go to church and wouldn't even ask about church whereas you just did. Homosexuality is tolerated here and you will see a lot more divesity among the youth especially in regards to Asians and Hispanics. When people describe Phoenix as being conservative, that comparison is often made by people who move here from Cali, Oregon and Washington. But relative to cities like Atlanta, Austin, Dallas, Houston, Charlotte and Nashville, Phoenix will seem like a liberal hippie heaven. It may not be what you are looking for.

Old 06-28-2008, 01:57 PM

4 posts, read 10,549 times
Cool Agreed...

Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
Uh, Phoenix is one of the youngest cities in the country. You couldn't be more wrong. Go to Old Town Scottsdale on a Friday or Saturday night and tell me it's just full of old and married people. You obviously do not know what you are talking about.

To the OP, just be aware that Phoenix is not a Southern city. You might not like it here because most of the young people don't go to church and wouldn't even ask about church whereas you just did. Homosexuality is tolerated here and you will see a lot more divesity among the youth especially in regards to Asians and Hispanics. When people describe Phoenix as being conservative, that comparison is often made by people who move here from Cali, Oregon and Washington. But relative to cities like Atlanta, Austin, Dallas, Houston, Charlotte and Nashville, Phoenix will seem like a liberal hippie heaven. It may not be what you are looking for.

Thanks for your reply! And as a correction, just because I am a southern girl who believes in God doesnt make me a bible beater! I know us southerners tend to get that reputation but I am very progressive (and educated). My very best friend in the entire world is gay so I am well versed!

I lived in San Jose, CA and NYC for a short amount of time but I want to be somewhere that I can own my home (as I do now) and continue to prepare for my future! And while I am at it, have a fun single life for the time being!

I had heard and read online that Phoenix is a young city and I appreciate your comments! Just looking for the best opportunites to make new friends!

Old 06-28-2008, 02:01 PM

3,995 posts, read 10,018,339 times
When you move here, look into a densely populated area like Tempe, downtown or Old Town Scottsdale. Suburbs can be ok but they will require driving whereas I walk to galleries, lounges, shows, etc. etc.

Old 06-30-2008, 09:48 PM

13 posts, read 42,880 times
Darling,

As a young professional who grew up in NC, I say avoid PHX if possible. I've lived here for two years near the main ASU campus in Tempe. I was hoping there would be a lot more character and friendlier people than I have come across. They aren't rude, just bland. Also, most people isolate themselves (outside of the bar scene) because of the heat and suburban nature of PHX.

But enough negatives. A lot of young people live here and somehow seem to love it. I would recommend living in Tempe hands down over other 'burbs if you're looking for a social scene. Excellent central Valley location, close to ASU & Sky Harbor, and one of the few areas with an urban feel to it (Mill Ave).

Bottom line: go somewhere else besides PHX if you can. Good luck with your relocation!

Old 06-30-2008, 10:42 PM

1,170 posts, read 3,436,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by w1ngzer0 View Post

LOL...she's only seventeeeeeeen, seventeen!

Old 06-30-2008, 10:47 PM

1,170 posts, read 3,436,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernbelle117 View Post
Thanks for your reply! And as a correction, just because I am a southern girl who believes in God doesnt make me a bible beater! I know us southerners tend to get that reputation but I am very progressive (and educated). My very best friend in the entire world is gay so I am well versed!

I lived in San Jose, CA and NYC for a short amount of time but I want to be somewhere that I can own my home (as I do now) and continue to prepare for my future! And while I am at it, have a fun single life for the time being!

I had heard and read online that Phoenix is a young city and I appreciate your comments! Just looking for the best opportunites to make new friends!
Hey, great, you've already got a friend in FCoralles!!! Dawn-O, check out Scottsdale but anything would be an improvement from Ten I See! Scottsdale tends to be bit more upscale than Tempe...I'd assume you'd want to stay away from the college rugrats and hang w/ peeps in your own age and income bracket, then Moses says, go to Scottsdale.

Compared to Chicago, NY, LA, Miami, PHx area is weak....but compared to TenneC, its a vast improvement! Good luck!

P.S. Are you good looking?

Old 06-30-2008, 11:08 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,298,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernbelle117 View Post

My apologies then. I think Phoenix would be a great fit because this is a city in which young people can own a home. I think you will love it here. You definitely need to check out Old Town Scottsdale. Most of the respondents on this forum do not spend time in the trendy areas of Scottsdale. I don't know that for a fact but my gut tells me that. It seems like the majority of the respondents are men and women in their late 30's or early 40's. The bachelor and bachelorettes seem to live in Tempe based on their responses. I spent a lot of time in Scottsdale and it's an entirely different lifestyle. They have a lot of fun and there are many yuppies that live there. They are single educated and well off. That lifestyle hasn't been communicated here because no one on this forum lives or experiences that lifestyle. This is why you get a lot of uninformed comments about there being no single life and that Phoenix is suburbia. There is a huge singles scene in the valley but think about, how many of those people are going to be posting on citydata? LOL When I was living that lifestyle, you wouldn't catch me on a computer let alone spend hours on a forum like citydata. There is a huge scene that most of the members here are oblivious to

Last edited by azriverfan.; 06-30-2008 at 11:20 PM..

Old 06-30-2008, 11:09 PM

22 posts, read 114,741 times
Originally from Texas-my husband and I just moved to Gilbert last year. This area may seem too suburbia to you-lots of young couples just starting families- but is nice and has a few farms left. Maybe something to make you feel at home. Scottsdale and Tempe are really the places we go when we want to go out. When we found out we were move to the area, I first decided against Phx, then chose the East Valley and went from there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area