Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-20-2008, 10:13 AM

232 posts, read 735,826 times

Advertisements

So a year after my first trip to Cave Creek, I am tempted to make the move out west. Currently living in Duluth, MN which has a lot of centrally located services - eliminating the need for a car. I am looking for an area like this where I can walk or bus, the fitness center and grocery store being close by. I only need a studio apartment. I work for the YMCA & YWCA downtown here (btw does anyone have any knowledge of those places in Phoenix? I saw a place called the Westward Ho Apartments...does anyone know much about the area, the safety of downtown and the transit system?

I'm not planning a move until I have a lot more money saved up, but just getting ideas now!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2008, 10:25 AM

551 posts, read 2,725,361 times
I think the Westward Ho is a retirement center, last I heard. But it was remodeled a few years ago. Not sure if the remodel made it open to anyone. However, they are building and/or converting many apartments/lofts near downtown. Try a Google search. :-)

Phoenix doesn't have a good mass transit system. For the most part, you are expected to get around by car. There is a public bus system, and they are building a light rail, but neither is very good -- compared to other cities that invest in public transportation.

Old 05-20-2008, 11:43 AM

3,995 posts, read 10,014,196 times
The Westward Ho is currently for low income retirees...however, it will be renovated by ASU into a Hotel I believe. There are apartments in downtown Phoenix under construction that will open in a few months up to a year from now like Alta and CityScape. However, Roosevelt Square has studio, one, two, and three bedroom apartments. Look for historic buildings downtown that have apartments for rent as there are a multitude of these buildings in downtown Phoenix. I live in one of the historic apartment complexes in downtown. My building has 10 units and is a 1920's brick building renovated 1.5 years ago. I have friends in other buildings in the Roosevelt, Churchhill, and Willo districts as well. The bus and future light rail in Phoenix will be great for those of us who live downtown and for those that visit downtown and Tempe. It wasn't designed for everyone, but for those in the central areas that are near the line. Just like the 202, 101, 51, and 303 don't serve everyone in the valley, the lightrail line will serve those that live, work, and visit but is part of a regional multifaceted transportation plan. When the light rail opens, it will be great and will serve the region well.

Old 05-20-2008, 01:01 PM

2,784 posts, read 7,443,931 times
The Westward Ho will be low-income housing for seniors and the disabled for at least the next 14 years. The current owners' contract with HUD was renewed for 20 years in 2002.

There are plenty of other apartment options downtown, including Roosevelt Square, which is within walking distance. Transit is improving with light rail opening this December, but I still don't recommend total carlessness.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
View detailed profiles of: