Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2008, 05:01 PM

39,072 posts, read 51,193,851 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by movin'on View Post
Well, the east Valley is honestly nicer. And the north is honestly nicer.
There are 4 cities in the valley that have won the prestigious "All-American City" award over the years. They are Phoenix, Tempe, Mesa (all "east" and all in their now bygone heyday) and Goodyear (2008 winner) in the west. Goodyear also was just awarded 5th place by the US Conference of Mayors for the "most liveable cities under 100K population". I'm afraid you are out of touch. mired in the past, and don't have a clue what is going on in the valley.

Last edited by Ponderosa; 08-24-2008 at 05:10 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2009, 09:59 AM

7 posts, read 20,547 times
OK, first of all I am SOOOO confused with all this West, East sides; valley sides and then with the mentioning of the different cities. Is there a way of looking at a Arizona map and being told how living conditions are for a single female who can only rent. I have a bachelors degree and will be looking for job that will require the use of your transportation system. I am coming from Michigan, the #1 state of unemployment with the #4 city of the United States in unemployment (Flint). Like here in Flint we gage living conditions by north, south, east & west ends. Take in consideration I am not looking to be on unemployment, I live now on child-support which would change of course once I leave this god-forsaken state.

Old 08-19-2009, 10:15 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,391,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdsknfan28 View Post
OK, first of all I am SOOOO confused with all this West, East sides; valley sides and then with the mentioning of the different cities. Is there a way of looking at a Arizona map and being told how living conditions are for a single female who can only rent. I have a bachelors degree and will be looking for job that will require the use of your transportation system. I am coming from Michigan, the #1 state of unemployment with the #4 city of the United States in unemployment (Flint). Like here in Flint we gage living conditions by north, south, east & west ends. Take in consideration I am not looking to be on unemployment, I live now on child-support which would change of course once I leave this god-forsaken state.
Other than pockets of south and west Phoenix, the whole Valley, both east and west sides have a lot to offer in terms of nice, safe, convenient places to live both in the suburbs and within the Phoenix city limits, so we don't gauge things quite like you do in Flint. Tempe has the best public transit options (including both buses and access to central Phoenix by light rail), and is a nice place to live in many other respects.

Old 08-19-2009, 11:46 AM

1,012 posts, read 2,559,301 times
I live in the East Valley and prefer it over the West Valley any day. Most of the West Valley is grime and grit, crime, and filth. Although parts of the East Valley--much of Mesa--are not good either, it doesnt compare to the grime and grit of the West Valley.

Old 08-19-2009, 11:51 AM

1,012 posts, read 2,559,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdsknfan28 View Post
I used to live in MI. But you will find AZ to have severe problems of its own: illegal immigration gone ammock, violent crime, housing values are often too high for often low incomes earned here, horrid dryness that is worsening, AZ ranks 49th in unemployment benefits (so dont lose your job here), AZ ranks dead LAST in education, and AZ will be bankrupt in just a few months like CA. Trust me, AZ has very sever problems that you will find to be just as bad as MI. Just dont get caught up in the Desert-Southwest-is-so-much-better-than-the-Midwest syndrome. It isnt!

Old 08-19-2009, 01:35 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,391,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krock1dk View Post
I live in the East Valley and prefer it over the West Valley any day. Most of the West Valley is grime and grit, crime, and filth. Although parts of the East Valley--much of Mesa--are not good either, it doesnt compare to the grime and grit of the West Valley.
I live in the east Valley too, but I end up going all over town. This post is a gross exaggeration, colored by how much this poster hates living here in Arizona, and should be taken with a very large grain of salt.

"Most of the west Valley" described that way? Oh, no. I'm sure the residents of Arrowhead Ranch and Estrella Mountain Ranch and Goodyear and north Peoria and Vistancia and most of Surprise and a few other areas I'm forgetting will give you a different perspective on the West Valley than the above post.

Old 08-19-2009, 02:21 PM

2,942 posts, read 6,515,091 times
"Most of the West Valley is grime and grit, crime, and filth."

Appearently, you have not seen very much of the west valley. Most of the west valley consists of nice, newer, family friendly neighborhoods with parks, shopping, dining--even professional sports like the Cardinals, Coyotes, NASCAR and a number MLB teams during spring training. Heck, even the Superbowl was in the west valley just a year-and-a-half ago. I personally like the west valley over the east valley, but that does not mean one is better than the other--they're just different. Actually, they have much more in common than not, but some small differences make me like the west valley just a little more than the east valley. But it is all a matter of personal taste.

Old 08-19-2009, 02:23 PM

157 posts, read 421,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krock1dk View Post
I will take West Valley any day over East Valley.
Most of towns/cities in the metro area have good and bad parts of town. So from crime/filth perspective its all the same.

Old 08-19-2009, 02:34 PM

39,072 posts, read 51,193,851 times
East valley is our past.. West Valley is our future. Pretty much all the plums like top master planned communities, baseball, hockey, NFL, malls are going to the west side now. Not that there is anything wrong with the east side. There are many nice places there. It's just that they have are more built out on east side. They've bumped into the Indian lands and gotten too far from the freeways. The cheap close-in land is gone. The West is where the growth is now and will be for many years to come.

Last edited by Ponderosa; 08-19-2009 at 02:45 PM..

Old 08-19-2009, 02:55 PM

157 posts, read 421,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
East valley is our past.. West Valley is our future. Pretty much all the plums like top master planned communities, baseball, hockey, NFL, malls are going to the west side now. Not that there is anything wrong with the east side. There are many nice places there. It's just that they have are more built out on east side. They've bumped into the Indian lands and gotten too far from the freeways. The cheap close-in land is gone. The West is where the growth is now and will be for many years to come.
I would also add Performing Arts to that list. Phoenix Symphony and Ballet Arizona has been performing at least one concert per year in Estrella for years and now moving to Goodyear Ballpark.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area