U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Merry Christmas!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2008, 12:46 PM

10,544 posts, read 14,071,950 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zucco231 View Post
Im not planning to be homeless i just want to know if it came down to that if i could survive for a couple weeks.Who would plan to be homeless,but also you gotta start from the bottom to reach the top.
I prefer to start at the top and go higher. I just got back to California after five days in the area. I noticed a lot of homeless people not too far from down town. Not to sure how they all pull it off. One thing to consider is if you will be looking for work, are you going to have a place to take a shower or get cleaned up? Guess you could always do your laundry in a laundry mat. Another thing is why not use Jobing.com - Go Local to check for jobs before you make the treck out to Phoenix. Always nice to have something lined up in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2008, 01:25 PM

106 posts, read 374,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
I prefer to start at the top and go higher. I just got back to California after five days in the area. I noticed a lot of homeless people not too far from down town. Not to sure how they all pull it off. One thing to consider is if you will be looking for work, are you going to have a place to take a shower or get cleaned up? Guess you could always do your laundry in a laundry mat. Another thing is why not use Jobing.com - Go Local to check for jobs before you make the treck out to Phoenix. Always nice to have something lined up in advance.
Maybe I understand a little of what you're trying to say but unless someone is born in to a wealthy family with lots of support it really isn't possible to start "from the top".

Old 05-22-2008, 01:59 PM

40 posts, read 89,241 times
my parents do have money and they would give me any amount if i would ask but i prefer to do things on my own and to be able to look back and say hey i was here at this point of my life and look at me now.Something to have pride about.Alot of people start at the bottom and work their way up.

Old 05-22-2008, 02:16 PM

10,544 posts, read 14,071,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILuvAZ View Post
Maybe I understand a little of what you're trying to say but unless someone is born in to a wealthy family with lots of support it really isn't possible to start "from the top".
Maybe not but I still prefer it . I heard this from someone, "Ive been rich and ive been poor, its better being rich. I for one am far from being rich. Although I love the Phoenix area chances are I wouldn't be leaving the ocean to move there if we could afford a home in our area. That being said a person doesn't have to start from the top to achieve that level of success at some time in there life. I bet everyone in this forum can tell a story of someone that made it in life with little opportunity and ended up on top some time in there life. We live in the greatest nation in the world. A person can start with a dream and build a major business out of that dream. We have immigrants that flock here from around the world because of what they can accomplish here in this land. I beleive that a man can end up on the streets of Glendale and if he sets his mind to it can build a business or at least a good life over time. That is the key though, it may take some time to accomplish the goals that he has set for himself. It would be interesting to read the OP strategic plan for the next 5 to 10 years. What is included in a plann to hit the streets with a little of nothing in the heat and try and make it in an area that is far from his resources. I would love to see that plan.

Old 05-22-2008, 02:25 PM

5,128 posts, read 6,340,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zucco231 View Post
my parents do have money and they would give me any amount if i would ask but i prefer to do things on my own and to be able to look back and say hey i was here at this point of my life and look at me now.Something to have pride about.Alot of people start at the bottom and work their way up.
Understandable and even admirable but on the flip-side you think your parents would mind less to know that their son is sleeping on the streets on a different city because he was (________ fill in the blank)?

Borrow some $$ if you must till you can stand on your own feet and have income then pay them back, there is nothing to be ashamed of in doing that, especially if you are at the point of considering to live on the streets in a new city.
I am not trying to be mean or sarcastic but only trying to offer some common sense, either way, since I did sleep a few weeks in my car in my teen years, I can sort of relate, either way, I guess I was trying to say; why suffer like that if you really don't have to because it is a demoraling experience nevertheless and it will make finding/keeping a job very hard.
Anyhow, good luck!

Old 05-22-2008, 11:56 PM

79 posts, read 261,599 times
I am not so sure how serious this thread is, but let us have a look at the reality of life on the street in the valley:

The first two issues would be personal safety and the problem of getting out of the situation:

-As to personal safety, crime already is very high in the valley. And criminals love to prey on the weak. Being homeless means you would constantly have to carry all your belongings with you, and many people would love to take them away from you. Others love to beat up homeless people for fun. Not knowing the area would not help, either.

-The laws here are pretty tough: many places are off limits to homeless people, for example space under highway bridges (nice shade) etc. The cops enforce that vigorously.

-The longer one lives on the street, the more you can see that. Your appearance will make an impression on landlords and employers, and probably not a favorable one.

-The heat is the least problem: there are numerous places where you can spend the day in a nice airconditioned space, a public library for example. There also are homeless shelters. However, you don't want to be here for vacation, so you have to get around in the valley, looking for a job etc. You better make sure you have money for the bus. Distances in the valley are tremendous, walking them in the heat could easily lead to heat collapse. However, if you camp out at night, chances are that money for the bus will be stolen soon.

-Food will be provided by the homeless shelters, or some churches, if you get there in time. See bus money above.

-Your neighbors will usually not be the nicest people. Any decent mall or similar place here has private security that will soon boot you out. Because of the distances you will hang around near the homeless shelters. You won't be alone. Your friendly neighbors will be interested in your belongings.

-If you happen to own a car you might be better off. You might be able to sleep in the car for some nights, however the cops will try to prevent that. You might also put your belongings into the car and thus be safer. With a car you could make it a while in the valley. However, don't underestimate the curiosity of the friendly folks you will meet at the shelter where you want to take a shower or grab a meal. Once they find out you have a car they might want to inspect it while you are under the shower.

-You will never really and fully relax. Living on the street means you are constantly wired up. You will be on the lookout for cops, gangsters and thieves and anyone in between. You will constantly be chased from one point to the next. It will not be good for your health. Your physical or mental health.

So bottom line is, if anyone has no other chance than to rough it, my heart goes out to him or her. It is a tough life. In Phoenix it might be a bit better than in a wetter, colder place. But not much. However, if there is any chance to avoid being on the street, one would be a complete fool not to take it.

Old 05-23-2008, 12:01 AM

3,500 posts, read 4,598,432 times
Why are you going to Arizona? The Midwest in the summer gets hot, but not as hot as Arizona. You should rethink your plans.

Old 05-23-2008, 12:03 AM

4,248 posts, read 6,715,651 times
I can provide you with some resources if you PM me. I worked in a homeless shelter and am familiar with alternatives and resources. I will do what I can and make some phone calls for you, if you like. Just PM me.

Old 05-23-2008, 12:07 AM

5,471 posts, read 14,441,424 times
Dozens of homeless people die in Phoenix every summer. Granted, a lot of those people are mentally screwed up and don't even know they are dehydrated and overheating, and walk around barefoot on the scalding hot concrete and asphalt. It's an absolutely horrible existence. And if you absolutely had to be homeless in Phoenix, you picked the wrong time of the year to do it. Phoenix is not exactly walkable to jobs either. Your best bet would be finding a place to live located on a busy street with major bus lines running through.

Old 05-23-2008, 12:09 AM

4,248 posts, read 6,715,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegaspilgrim View Post
Dozens of homeless people die in Phoenix every summer. Granted, a lot of those people are mentally screwed up and don't even know they are dehydrated and overheating, and walk around barefoot on the scalding hot concrete and asphalt. It's an absolutely horrible existence. And if you absolutely had to be homeless in Phoenix, you picked the wrong time of the year to do it. Phoenix is not exactly walkable to jobs either. Your best bet would be finding a place to live located on a busy street with major bus lines running through.
Well, there are other resources and I am connected to them. I know a guy who helps out with housing and other agencies that will as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area