U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 05-24-2008, 11:30 AM

2,853 posts, read 2,378,807 times
Default Cheapest grocery store to shop at

I searched and found posts about grocery stores but none that directly talked about prices...

We're moving to Phoenix next month, specifically Goodyear and with the increased price of groceries we're looking for the cheapest grocery store in the area for our weekly shopping trips.

In the area we live in I know we have access to the following and I'm sure there are others I'm not aware of yet:

Safeway
Fry's
Super Wal Mart
Super Target

We're willing to give up a little service and fancy store to save money on groceries.

Our new home is at the corner of Van Buren and Cotton Lane in Goodyear, what other choices are in this area that may be cheaper than the above?

Thank you.

Last edited by LBTRS; 05-24-2008 at 11:40 AM..
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2008, 11:41 AM

3,190 posts, read 5,538,439 times
Fry's and super Walmart (Meat quality at walmart is poor)

Old 05-24-2008, 02:10 PM

178 posts, read 570,343 times
I buy most of my things at walmart, its usually but not always cheaper then the grocery stores sale prices.

Except for meat, every wednesday i look at the ads and buy my meat at different grocery stores.

Old 05-24-2008, 02:43 PM

7,726 posts, read 14,852,499 times
From my limited experience with this subject, I have determined ALL of the major stores juggle their prices and use "loss leader" marketing whenever possible.

Bottom line . . . in order to get the best prices, one needs to hit more than one store and take advantage of the specials.

Old 05-24-2008, 03:07 PM

3,633 posts, read 10,541,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibarrio View Post
Fry's and super Walmart (Meat quality at walmart is poor)
I agree with this, too.

Old 05-24-2008, 03:15 PM

3,854 posts, read 5,741,132 times
super walmart for mass produced goods
safeway/AJ's for meat and produce
Fry's and bashas always have rotted product.

If you buy hamburger beef in a tube, it doesn't matter where you buy it because the quality will all be the same.

Old 05-24-2008, 09:06 PM

79 posts, read 246,999 times
When it comes to non-fresh groceries (canned goods etc.) Wal-Mart usually has the best prices and the quality is good. Other grocery stores' sale specials sometimes beat Wal-Mart.

When it comes to fresh produce and meat, Wal-Mart's quality is pretty good, but it doesn't have the best prices. However, quality can vary tremendously in the other stores. I personally never buy meat in Basha's or Fry's, the look of it turns me away. Safeway's has pretty good quality but seldom is the least expensive.

Great prices on meat actually are to be found in Costco. It often beats Wal-Mart in things like meat, dairy, processed foods etc. Since it also has the cheapest gas in the valley, a Costco membership should pay for itself.

Otherwise, shop smart and use the sales. Everyday items like milk are on sale in one of the 4 big chains basically every week, so you shop where it is cheap. Prices can vary a lot between sales and non-sales, milk usually sells for around $ 4 a gallon but if on sale it will be $ 2.

Old 05-24-2008, 10:15 PM

1,046 posts, read 1,950,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GilaMonster View Post
Great prices on meat actually are to be found in Costco. It often beats Wal-Mart in things like meat, dairy, processed foods etc. Since it also has the cheapest gas in the valley, a Costco membership should pay for itself.
We always go to Costco for meat. I think they have the best meat selection in town. Well, I do like AJ's seafood and they have some good sausage.

Costco also has good deals (and the best I ever had) frozen vegetables. We buy our bread, cheese, and condiments there. If you're a fan of rice or flour you will find the best deals.

I also like the bulk section at Sprouts. We eat a lot of steel cut oatmeal in our home and I rather pay $.70 a pound vs. $3.50 at the grocery stores.

For every thing else I look at the flyer's that you will get in your mail box a few times a week.

I have the luxury of staying at home right now so I usually go to a few different stores a week to buy food with the kids so we can kill an hour or so a day.

We regularly hit up Safeway, Fry's, Walmart, SuperTarget, and Costco each week. We have six people in our family and our fridge can only hold some much food.

Old 05-25-2008, 01:32 AM

26,638 posts, read 18,626,840 times
Most all of the grocery stores, especially the top named ones, get their food supplies from the same distributors. It all depends on the employees at the stores on how they present and keep the products looking fresh and in an orderly manner. The meat people differ in they way they cut and present the meats at each store. I've shopped good Fry's as well as bad Fry's. Same with Safeway, Albertson's and Basha's.
Every family has it's own tastes and different needs, so it's really difficult to determine who is cheapest and who is best. You need to find the store(s) that you're happy and comfortable with.
The best buys generally are the specials in their weekly ads, along with your coupons.

Old 05-25-2008, 10:19 AM

93 posts, read 195,952 times
My wife and I learned a couple years back that quality food (organic,whole grains, low-simple sugars) is more satisfying and filling, and although more expensive, ultimately costs the same or less because you don't need to eat as much to feel full. We shop at Trader Joe's, Whole Foods, Sunflower, and occasionally Sprouts or Fry's to supplement. Won't set foot in WalMart since they screwed our family in Winslow and several other communities nationwide. Also, the lines and customer service are much better at stores without the word "super" in them. Try it! You'll never go back to WalMart, I promise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area