U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-08-2022, 01:06 PM

21 posts, read 21,224 times

Advertisements

On the main city-data.com home page under the Arizona cities category, Deer Valley is displayed as a city with a population of 186,030. I thought Deer Valley was within the Phoenix city limits, or could it be an unincorporated census-designated place with a Phoenix zip code? Or maybe it split from Phoenix into its own city?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2022, 02:40 PM

2,686 posts, read 6,968,507 times
It's part of Phoenix. It could be that the population count is for Deer Valley Village, one of the arbitrarily defined portions of Phoenix used for planning purposes.

Old 11-08-2022, 03:34 PM

3,303 posts, read 3,988,427 times
Has Deer Valley ever tried to become its own municipality?

Old 11-08-2022, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hschlick84 View Post
Has Deer Valley ever tried to become its own municipality?
Not to my knowledge. Most portions of Phoenix were unincorporated prior to annexation, and only a few areas like Laveen and Sunnyslope had a distinct identity before being absorbed into the big city. I've never heard of any serious attempt at secession by any particular part of the city. I don't think it would be easy to do, either legally or logistically.

Old 11-09-2022, 06:52 PM

7,643 posts, read 11,202,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by exit2lef View Post
Not to my knowledge. Most portions of Phoenix were unincorporated prior to annexation, and only a few areas like Laveen and Sunnyslope had a distinct identity before being absorbed into the big city. I've never heard of any serious attempt at secession by any particular part of the city. I don't think it would be easy to do, either legally or logistically.
Actually, there was a push to have Deer Valley self incorporate in the 1970s. At that time, the area was unincorporated & sparsely developed, but rapidly growing. The movement to have Deer Valley remain separate was short lived, and it was no surprise that Phoenix soon annexed Deer Valley because the city's goal was to continue to sprawl outward (and of course they wanted the tax revenue). I would have personally preferred to have Deer Valley be a separate incorporated community, along with a few other suburban "villages" that are part of Phoenix, such as Ahwatukee.

Old 11-09-2022, 07:40 PM

5,997 posts, read 5,865,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
Actually, there was a push to have Deer Valley self incorporate in the 1970s. At that time, the area was unincorporated & sparsely developed, but rapidly growing. The movement to have Deer Valley remain separate was short lived, and it was no surprise that Phoenix soon annexed Deer Valley because the city's goal was to continue to sprawl outward (and of course they wanted the tax revenue). I would have personally preferred to have Deer Valley be a separate incorporated community, along with a few other suburban "villages" that are part of Phoenix, such as Ahwatukee.
Phoenix suffers significantly as a result of this. In the modern day the continued subsidization from the core to sparse areas on utilities but also the loss of neighborhood identities. Areas like Sunnyslope, Cactus, Deer Valley, Union Hills… gone. Now Phoenicians pay for utility infrastructure all the way up to Anthem instead of utilizing that money to improve taste and odor water treatment of the tap.

The reason why places like Deer Valley failed is because of some BS state law which stated that neighboring municipalities had to acknowledge the existence of the community and it took only one or so to veto it. This happened with Sunnyslope. It’s like what is going on with Taiwan and certain other areas globally.

Old 11-10-2022, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
Interesting, and I agree completely. It would have been better in many ways for the areas north of the Phoenix Mountain Preserve and south of South Mountain to have become separately incorporated suburbs. The central portions of Phoenix have urban priorities that don't always align with the suburban needs of more outlying parts of the city.

Old 11-10-2022, 07:37 PM

7,643 posts, read 11,202,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prickly Pear View Post
Phoenix suffers significantly as a result of this. In the modern day the continued subsidization from the core to sparse areas on utilities but also the loss of neighborhood identities. Areas like Sunnyslope, Cactus, Deer Valley, Union Hills… gone. Now Phoenicians pay for utility infrastructure all the way up to Anthem instead of utilizing that money to improve taste and odor water treatment of the tap.

The reason why places like Deer Valley failed is because of some BS state law which stated that neighboring municipalities had to acknowledge the existence of the community and it took only one or so to veto it. This happened with Sunnyslope. It’s like what is going on with Taiwan and certain other areas globally.
Absolutely! I know we didn't agree all that much, but I think we definitely see eye to eye on this subject. People who choose to live in far flung areas like Norterra, Desert Hills, and the "village" known as Deer Valley do so because they want to be in a safe suburban area away from the main city. Nobody can blame them for this, but their neighborhoods shouldn't be within the Phoenix city limits, and they shouldn't be receiving Phoenix services. Those areas should either remain unincorporated, or they can vote to incorporate as their own separate communities.

Look at the Salt Lake City metro area as a good example. It's a lot smaller than Phoenix, but it has more suburbs that are separate towns. I think that's the way to go because each community has its own identity, and not bunched into the limits of a big city. Having all these communities annexed into Phoenix not only takes away their character, but it creates a huge, sprawling land mass, and the result is a bloated municipal government bureaucracy. Bigger government = bigger problems. I'm all for smaller, efficient government, which having separate incorporated communities would create.

Old 11-11-2022, 10:57 AM

7 posts, read 3,049 times
Default Deer Valley

There is a Deer Valley area. Locals might refer to the area as "Deer Valley" but it is not an actual separate defined area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area