Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2008, 11:40 PM

190 posts, read 570,906 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sassieb75 View Post
Ok, but take an industry like pharmaceutical sales, where a degree is mandatory. But, experience is not always. Do they really care where you got your degree from?
No, in that sense, it doesn't matter. I know someone who had a lot of experience and promotion was more or less a formality but he lacked a bachelors degree to technically qualify for the position. He remained with the company and got his degree on-line and met that technicality. However, most people are not in this situation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2008, 11:45 PM

477 posts, read 1,583,058 times
Yeah, I see what you are saying. My husband has alot of management experience, but lacks the degree. He landed his last position despite the "requirement". I, on the other hand am going into nursing and for some positions I may apply for in the future may require the BSN but for most nursing positions, the RN's and BSN's make exactly the same $$$$

Old 07-30-2008, 12:53 PM

11 posts, read 28,806 times
Not everyone has a degree, maybe some college and 20+ years of work experience. But hell, who can afford to go to college if you have a $1100 a month rent bill, plus high utilities and need to make more than $17 an hour? I haven't made $17 an hour since I was a teenager! MBA and accountants are underpaid in Phoenix anyway. I know a Billing Manager back in NY that makes $120k a year and doesn't even have a degree! An accountant here in Phoenix can't even make half that! You just can't live alone and make in Phoenix unless you get at least $20 an hour! The prices and cost of living here has gone through the roof! Impossible wages!

Old 07-30-2008, 01:08 PM

11 posts, read 28,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tasha43055 View Post
I have my AA in paralegal and I see plenty of jobs in my field that pay decent wages. Of course the cost of living here in Ohio is cheaper. I know that AZ is higher though. Why is it so hard to get a job there? What is going on that most people are unemployed? This is scary. Has it always been this way?
Well, it could very well be because the "right to work" laws in Arizona. That drives wages down and the pay rates are just awful. It gets worse everyday here in Phoenix. They surely need to do something, but right now, we are in a recession "nationally." I just moved from NY and boy, what a big mistake that was.

Old 07-30-2008, 01:46 PM
YAZ

7,706 posts, read 14,080,405 times
The "Right to Work" law actually promotes employment, bringing in potential employers that don't want to deal with the union BS.

Replying to previous posts:

A degree from ANY university cannot hurt you; it's what you do with it that counts. Work ethics, experience, and a "can do" attitude will get you far in any area. 17 bucks per hour is a damn good wage for someone without a degree, and with 20 years experience in WHAT?

Retail? C'mon.

Office work? Gimme a break!

Bring a certain skill set to ANY employer out here in The Valley of the Sun and you'll command a "good" wage. The key is to find the right employer that's looking for your "skill set", and you can exploit that to your benefit.

Old 07-30-2008, 02:45 PM

133 posts, read 376,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HX_Guy View Post
What are you talking about? Phoenix has something like 3.1% unemployment rate. You call that "most people are unemployed"?
I am highly qualified in my field, been looking for a job for over a year. Have had three interviews in nine months - no job. Mostly no response to my resumes. I am over 50 -- maybe that's the problem.

Old 07-30-2008, 02:51 PM

133 posts, read 376,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrismo View Post
Not everyone has a degree, maybe some college and 20+ years of work experience. But hell, who can afford to go to college if you have a $1100 a month rent bill, plus high utilities and need to make more than $17 an hour? I haven't made $17 an hour since I was a teenager! MBA and accountants are underpaid in Phoenix anyway. I know a Billing Manager back in NY that makes $120k a year and doesn't even have a degree! An accountant here in Phoenix can't even make half that! You just can't live alone and make in Phoenix unless you get at least $20 an hour! The prices and cost of living here has gone through the roof! Impossible wages!
I agree! I made $17 an hour in the late 70's, working for the telephone company in Phoenix and, later, in Denver. Those were the days! The neocons think that everyone should be paid $10 an hour (in today's weak dollars,) except for the governing class, which should be able to make obscene profits on anything that they touch. It makes me sick.

Old 07-30-2008, 03:00 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,216,031 times
i find it very hard to find good candidates out here - however, i think the job market is pretty solid - you throw in seniors, students and part time workers the "bad" jobs add up

$17/hr is a decent wage and liveable out here ....... you don't want to be there your whole life, but many people with degrees all over the country start out making less than that

Old 07-30-2008, 06:44 PM

3,966 posts, read 10,696,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrismo View Post
Financial aid is a beautiful thing. Working on my BS in biochemistry, will it cost a lot? yes. Will i learn what i need to learn? yes. will i attempt to invent something new with the knowledge i've learned? yes. Will i have 1/2 of my courses done by the time i enter the university, yes. Will i save a tons of money doing this? hell yah.

Old 07-31-2008, 05:08 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,333,368 times
I still don't have a job in the Phoenix area. I have been on plenty of interviews though and for some great jobs. Most of the employers I have met aren't looking for people from outside the area because they can pick and choose from within the valley. As much as I want to work in the area, I am considering looking elsewhere for employment. I have a great job at the hospital that I work at now in California and want to maintain the same level of income. What happened to the market for MBA's? last year was a great year for the field. Now because of how the economy is fairing it seems that many prospects have dried up. I still see great jobs listed but can't seem to get into the right people. I have to say one thing though. I can produce a nicely written and good looking resume, cover letter, and career portfolio. You really need to evaluate what you can do and look at the responsibilities that you have had during your career to develop a good employment ad campaign. That is what this is all about, advertising ourselves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area